Shares

fine-n-dandy

A couple of months late min. Need info like this before they hit oil not right after. Good spot though. Know a few people with big investments in them through the BP linkage.

I knew about it a week and half ago when my mate bought and passed it on but yes, would have been good to be in from the start.

• 2 months later...

Can anyone suggest a broker? Got two I really want to buy in to, any info would be appreciated aswell, some do's and don'ts

It really depends on how much you are looking to invest and also how often you are looking to trade. Brokers or platform charges vary with some platforms who charge on a per quarter or annual basis (sometimes waiving charges depending on how often you trade) or on a percentage basis.

In simple terms, for a small portfolio you are better with a broker who charges a percentage fee as they are likely to be lower than a broker who charges say 25/quarter. For a large portfolio then 100 / year is far cheaper than 1% of your pot!

Be careful though and also check your trading costs as if you are a frequent trader you'll get stung with high trading costs which will probably wipe out any gains you make over a short timeframe.

See Monevator for a guide to low cost platforms which are pretty much suited to a Passive Investing strategy. It's also a great source of advice for both active/ passive traders.

http://monevator.com/find-the-best-online-broker/

I hold my portfolio with TD direct and it's largely a passive portfolio. For me it's best as a relatively novice investor. I did make good money off the Dana Petroleum takeover but I came to realise it was through good fortune rather than astute investing. Passive investing (buying into index trackers and funds instead of holding company stocks) suits someone like me who doesn't have time to sit and watch charts all day to try and time the market. Simply choose how I want my portfolio to be structured (I.e have a strategy), decide how much I want to invest then buy and forget - let the market and time do the rest.

Absolutely DO use your NISA allowance to make sure any gains are tax free ( up to 15k per year invested).

DO your own research and DON'T listen to mates or take tips from some guy down the pub.

DO diversify your portfolio - if you only have one or two stocks in certain sectors you are hugely exposed to the fluctuation of that sector or individual company.

DO opt to have dividends re-invested as shares - you won't miss the income and your money will grow faster.

DO NOT go anywhere near spread betting and complex instruments - you will lose your money!

Hedge your bets - mix your portfolio with shares and funds which you expect to grow with others which stay relatively level but are good dividend payers. Bonds are relatively safe and will prop up your portfolio in a falling market (usually).

My last bit of advice would be steer clear if you want to make a quick buck - I'm in this for the long game - a portfolio for early retirement and becoming self sufficient through investment in the long term.

• Upvote 3

So after a bit of a delay to get an account set up I've now got an account with IG, commission free for the first month then £6 until end of the year, I bought £200 worth of SOLO today at .96, from what I've read this can take off at any minute, I just need to relax and wait for it to happen as it's all about the long game for me anyways.

Stocks???

Ha fuckin ha.

You bunch of fuckin mugs.

I've (apparently) done quite well on my stocks this year, though personally, as I've said before, I know absolutely sweet fuck all about what stocks and shares are or what the difference between them might be.

Is there some better way of investing cash?

So after a bit of a delay to get an account set up I've now got an account with IG, commission free for the first month then £6 until end of the year, I bought £200 worth of SOLO today at .96, from what I've read this can take off at any minute, I just need to relax and wait for it to happen as it's all about the long game for me anyways.

Should've gone for #YOLO rather than SOLO.

Mini fit fees you paying for your SOLO shares as £200 seems an awful low value to invest as your charges must account for about 7.5% of your investment??!!

Also you've just bought in at 0.96 off the back of a 220% surge from around 0.3 at the start of September so I hope you're right that this is about to take off but I wouldn't go quitting your day job just yet!!

One thing I recommend with shares is that you set up a stop loss to ensure you don't loose all your cash should the share plunge.

I was burnt with this within a few days of buying a new share, one minute I was up around £100 bucks but within an hour I was down £700 when drill results came in for a well which had practically nothing in it and I was away from my desk and hadn't got round to setting up a stop-loss.

A few dry wells can bankrupt a company given the high exploration costs, so you may have a few horrific well results before you get a gusher.

Hope it works out for you, but you have missed the boat with SOLO, if you had purchased last month when the share price was 0.30, rather than yesterday at 0.96 you would have made some money

I told him that the other week.

Aye the seismic surveys and drilling program in Tanzania are not due till next year, the spike in the share price was to do with upgrading the estimates of the gas reserves, and also that a Chinese sponsored pipe line will run close to this development, so the infrastructure would be there to transport the gas to shore.

Solo however only owns 25% of this development, Aminex owns the other 75%, and is also the operator, there share price also spiked from 0.84 to 2.87 with the release of the RNS, I would expect both SOLO and Aminex price to continually drop over the next year until they are able to make this gas commercially viable.

• Admin

Aye the seismic surveys and drilling program in Tanzania are not due till next year, the spike in the share price was to do with upgrading the estimates of the gas reserves, and also that a Chinese sponsored pipe line will run close to this development, so the infrastructure would be there to transport the gas to shore.

Solo however only owns 25% of this development, Aminex owns the other 75%, and is also the operator, there share price also spiked from 0.84 to 2.87 with the release of the RNS, I would expect both SOLO and Aminex price to continually drop over the next year until they are able to make this gas commercially viable.

Bingo for the bottom section.

As with small cap and even mid-cap exploration companies, they spike on results and testing, but always fall back because it takes fucking ages to actually get the stuff out the ground, build the infrastructure, and all the time haemorrhaging money when they have no income during this time. Throw in a few share dilutions for placings and the price falls further.

I don't doubt SOLO will increase above mini's buy in, but it'll fall back way before it increases anything substantially to make any marginal profit on a buy-in of £200!

The signal to buy SOLO was when their director bought 3,000,000 at 0.18 in May. Not when they spiked at their 3 year high.