New Stadium Approved

Slightly disappointing it hasn’t just been kicked into touch.

Do the WANKS need to come up with any more funds to keep this going any further than just getting a “yes, we’ll have a look at it”?

They will have only spent a portion of the money raised to get this far.

But this now commits them to spend the rest of the fund to make their legal case.

Not sure what happens if they lose and are ordered to pay the legal costs. Hopefully the individuals leading the action can be personally pursued but I think they've tried to side step that being possible.

• Site Sponsor

That's why they set up a Ltd company. Any costs incurred would be on the company rather than people so they could just fold the company and avoid the costs.

Only likely to work if they lose and the judge awards that AFC's legal costs should be met by the WANKs.

It was projected that the WANKs initial legal costs would be at least £70k - they claim to have raised £65k towards that.

They lose and the judge awards costs against them, they'll fold the company and walk away which is a disgrace but perhaps shows them for what they are.

They'll be back out with the begging bowl shortly looking for more money from the same people to fight the fight now that they've got a court date.

I suspect their own legal costs will be more than the £65k currently raised.

I sincerely hope that their own legal team issue engagement letters to their WANKs company which makes it clear that if the company runs out of cash to pay their costs, the Directors are then liable for at least their own legal team's costs.

If not, their own legal team are as daft as their clients.

• Site Sponsor

Dom, any chance the judge will see that as a cynical ruse and take some steps to prevent it?

In my view, if the system worked properly the judge would tell both sides that they need to put up a "bond" up front of say, £70,000 to cover the costs of whichever side loses.

That way, the winning side get their £70k bond back and also the £70k from the losing side which covers their legal costs.

If the bond isn't forthcoming, the case simply shouldn't go ahead and the City Council's ruling should stand.

It winna happen that way though sadly.

As I see it, the WANKs will delay progress by a few months, lose and then proceed to greet and wail about the "unfairness" of the system blah, blah, blah.

I doubt that the WANKs will raise much more cash in support of their campaign as folk seeing the progress already made on the site and how far it has come on will undoubtedly take the view that the training facilities at least are going ahead regardless of the campaign so why pour any more money down an open cesspit.

• Site Sponsor

I take we can still carry on working at the site

Work was certainly ongoing this morning.

As far as I understand, unless a "stopping order" is imposed on the developer, work can carry on.

If the WANK's win their case however, the land would have to be restored to its original state so that the various rabbits, "otters", badgers, hairy beavers, mouse ears (not forgetting the geese) can take up residence once again.

As far as I understand, unless a "stopping order" is imposed on the developer, work can carry on.

If the WANK's win their case however, the land would have to be restored to its original state so that the various rabbits, "otters", badgers, hairy beavers, mouse ears (not forgetting the geese) can take up residence once again.

First bit aye. Second bit is a strictly speaking aye but no.

It's not really WANKs winning the case. It's a potential judicial review which hasn't even started. There is only a date set for a procedural hearing.

Even if a review takes place and something is upheld and after that a stopping order is applied for, I would bet that the council will dot whatever I or cross whichever T and re-grant the application before an order could come into play (assuming an order can't be set during the review process).

In any case,I would expect the council to be more than a little angry if their judgement and authority is called into question. Expect a swift response from them. However you look at it it's WANK's cash doon the drain.

I would say not only is work carrying on but it seems to have ramped up.

They are on site before 7:30 and still going at past 5pm every night.

It is maybe the clubs aim to get so much work done that a reversal decision would look totally ridiculous.

It is maybe the clubs aim to get so much work done that a reversal decision would look totally ridiculous.

Good to hear that's it's being ramped up.

I thought they might have had a lone WANK there with "End of the World is Nigh" sign ?

It looks like work is being ramped up but stadia build these days is fairly straightforward and progress swift.

I myself built several of the stadia for the last Euros and singlehandedly rebuilt the Maracana in Brazil.

Piece of piss.

You any good at retaining walls?

Asking for myself.

• Downvote 1

It looks like work is being ramped up but stadia build these days is fairly straightforward and progress swift.

I myself built several of the stadia for the last Euros and singlehandedly rebuilt the Maracana in Brazil.

Piece of piss.

Well all we are currently building is some football pitches and maybe two or three structures (club house, gym, changing rooms etc.).