The Best A Man Can Be

Foster14

i like the advert. the comments i've read from those that don't like it seem to feel it colours all men as arseholes. and someone called it emasculating (which i don't get at all).  that's not what i took from the ad at all, but i'm not a man.  so i'll be interested in reading others' views.

the Guardian article quotes Gillette: “...to promote “positive, attainable, inclusive and healthy versions of what it means to be a man”.

i think promoting a broader definition -- and not just stereotypes -- of men and boys is a good thing. for men and women. 

i'd challenge your comment re main demographic.

women routinely shave their legs and oxters and probably go through the same number of razors (if not more) and associated products than men. if you assume women and men are roughly equal populations in developed countries, i'd say they're still speaking to the majority of their demographic -- women (50%) plus a number of men who will find nothing offensive about that ad (call it 50% of the remaining 50% for argument sake). 

I hate pcgm(political correctness gone mad) as much as the next man but this is well meaning and there's no harm in it really. People shouldn't take adverts seriously, they've seen a few quid in it for themselves and that's about it.

Razors really are the biggest con going though, fucking price of the cunts is unbelievable, dirty robdogs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/931fb95e-039c-44db-a8f0-67bbd61fa30e

BBC running a Sexual Harassment quiz at the moment. Every single question is geared towards it men saying/doing stuff to woman.  Apparently "flirting" is now "sexual harassment". Telling someone their perfume smells nice is "Sexual Harassment". There was this feminist "comedian" on one of those breakfast show trying to say that calling someone darling was now sexist. 

The whole PC brigade is going too far. Although it's massively driven by the media, rather than real people and real laws.

• Upvote 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/931fb95e-039c-44db-a8f0-67bbd61fa30e

BBC running a Sexual Harassment quiz at the moment. Every single question is geared towards it men saying/doing stuff to woman.  Apparently "flirting" is now "sexual harassment". Telling someone their perfume smells nice is "Sexual Harassment". There was this feminist "comedian" on one of those breakfast show trying to say that calling someone darling was now sexist. 

The whole PC brigade is going too far. Although it's massively driven by the media, rather than real people and real laws.

i think it's a lot about context   flirting isn't harassment if you know it would be reasonably welcome, and someone you know well enough in the appropriate setting says "you look great" or "you smell lovely" -- nothing wrong with that in my books. it's very different when you're the sole woman in a business meeting, and a man says either of those. you're working. if you want to fill airspace talk about the weather or something. not how i'm dressed or how i look -- those comments aren't appropriate at that time.  

i like the advert. the comments i've read from those that don't like it seem to feel it colours all men as arseholes. and someone called it emasculating (which i don't get at all).  that's not what i took from the ad at all, but i'm not a man.  so i'll be interested in reading others' views.

the Guardian article quotes Gillette: “...to promote “positive, attainable, inclusive and healthy versions of what it means to be a man”.

i think promoting a broader definition -- and not just stereotypes -- of men and boys is a good thing. for men and women. 

i'd challenge your comment re main demographic.

women routinely shave their legs and oxters and probably go through the same number of razors (if not more) and associated products than men. if you assume women and men are roughly equal populations in developed countries, i'd say they're still speaking to the majority of their demographic -- women (50%) plus a number of men who will find nothing offensive about that ad (call it 50% of the remaining 50% for argument sake). 

You know, I never knew that Venus was a Gillette brand.  Was just away to say that you don't get much usage of Gillette by women in the UK, but that is because they focus away from Gillette, and go all Venus on the advertising here.  Something they don't do so much with the male stuff.

The advert neither puts me up nor down, but I do find it funny that companies try to take the lead on these things and people believe it is for anything other than profit maximization.  

The advert itself seems to suggest that letting childlike behaviour slip (like fighting and bullying - both sexes are equally adept at both of these when young), means they will grow up in to toxic masculine men.  How ridiculously basic is that?  

i think it's a lot about context   flirting isn't harassment if you know it would be reasonably welcome, and someone you know well enough in the appropriate setting says "you look great" or "you smell lovely" -- nothing wrong with that in my books. it's very different when you're the sole woman in a business meeting, and a man says either of those. you're working. if you want to fill airspace talk about the weather or something. not how i'm dressed or how i look -- those comments aren't appropriate at that time.  

Of course. I'm not talking about leaning over and taking a long, hard sniff at a woman and then going "Wow love, you smell lovely". However, they are basically trying to say that any kind of advance is bad. We'll need to fill in consent forms prior to trying to ask someone out, or flirt? 

Regarding commenting on what someone is wearing, obviously a man going "that's a really sexy top" to a woman is OTT and quite rightly shouldn't be said in a workplace (unless it's your g/f or it's banter between the two), but how is a man saying something like "That's a really nice top" vs a woman saying the same thing? Are we now just insinuating that ALL men are sexual predators and everything we say is in someway derogatory and meant in a rapey way?

You just made that up, didn't you? Every single question is genderless and merely refers to "you" and "a colleague".

I guess the pictures tell a different story to the questions, though I saw the video yesterday and you could see the underlying point of it.  

On the first question though, it is an interesting genderless question:  

"You compliment someone at work on their perfume smelling good - you don't have any romantic intentions, but they send you an email saying the comment made them feel disrespected. Could this be sexual harassment?"

I guess this wouldn't be viewed as sexual harassment if the complimenter was not the opposite sex to the complimentee.  All about context really.    

You just made that up, didn't you? Every single question is genderless and merely refers to "you" and "a colleague".

Literally the FIRST question is about commenting on a womans perfume.

Second question  - About saying he's the brains and SHE'S the beauty...

There's a couple of gender neautral ones.

Fifth question - has a MAN touching a WOMAN on the back and says "is this wrong?" 

Sixth question - About being reported to head office. It's a MAN being told off by his boss. 

Seventh question - Image of a man learing over a woman and saying something to her

Of course. I'm not talking about leaning over and taking a long, hard sniff at a woman and then going "Wow love, you smell lovely". However, they are basically trying to say that any kind of advance is bad. We'll need to fill in consent forms prior to trying to ask someone out, or flirt?

Regarding commenting on what someone is wearing, obviously a man going "that's a really sexy top" to a woman is OTT and quite rightly shouldn't be said in a workplace (unless it's your g/f or it's banter between the two), but how is a man saying something like "That's a really nice top" vs a woman saying the same thing? Are we now just insinuating that ALL men are sexual predators and everything we say is in someway derogatory and meant in a rapey way?

All men are sexual predators and I have never said to a horrendous looking bird she has a nice top.

Pre 2am in a night club.

Literally the FIRST question is about commenting on a womans perfume.

Second question - About saying he's the brains and SHE'S the beauty...

There's a couple of gender neautral ones.

Fifth question - has a MAN touching a WOMAN on the back and says "is this wrong?"

Sixth question - About being reported to head office. It's a MAN being told off by his boss.

Seventh question - Image of a man learing over a woman and saying something to her

Literally the first question, doesn't even reference gender. At no point is "woman" or "man" mentioned. It could be a woman and a woman, or a man who wears perfume.

2nd question "man" is mentioned as having brains, who has the beauty isn;t mentioned at all.

5th question is "A colleague puts their hand on your back and lowers it until you remove it. It makes you feel intimidated; is this sexual harassment?". No reference to gender.

6th question is "You reject a colleague’s advances - the next day you are reported to head office for a minor oversight. Are you experiencing sexual harassment?" Even if we look only at the pictures, it could be the alleged rejected advance occurring. You've no clue.

7th question is "A colleague makes a sexual comment to you at work. It upsets you so you tell your mate but they say it can’t be sexual harassment because you’ve gone for drinks with the colleague in question in the past. Are they right?" No reference to gender.

If you just want to look at pictures and see what you want to see, then that's your prerogative.

• Downvote 3

Literally the first question, doesn't even reference gender. At no point is "woman" or "man" mentioned. It could be a woman and a woman, or a man who wears perfume.

2nd question "man" is mentioned as having brains, who has the beauty isn;t mentioned at all.

5th question is "A colleague puts their hand on your back and lowers it until you remove it. It makes you feel intimidated; is this sexual harassment?". No reference to gender.

6th question is "You reject a colleague’s advances - the next day you are reported to head office for a minor oversight. Are you experiencing sexual harassment?" Even if we look only at the pictures, it could be the alleged rejected advance occurring. You've no clue.

7th question is "A colleague makes a sexual comment to you at work. It upsets you so you tell your mate but they say it can’t be sexual harassment because you’ve gone for drinks with the colleague in question in the past. Are they right?" No reference to gender.

If you just want to look at pictures and see what you want to see, then that's your prerogative.

Get fucked with that one. Jesus fucking Christ.

• Upvote 2