Anthony O'connor.

My reasoning being this lad proved he could play in league 1 and did well. He started 24 games for Burton last year who also got promoted to the Championship. I'm more optimistic about this lad more so than Zola. I understand anyone's doubts over signing players from League 2 however he actually has proved he can play at a better standard than league 2. Let's see how he gets on. If he were signing from the likes of Cheltenham I'd be dubious.

Let me convert this into auld money

A player who is a'right in the English 4th division and may well manage to hold his own in the 3rd division is the mighty Dons latest signing.

Oooh, I won't be able to sleep tonight with all the excitement.

Like most, I'll need to wait and see what he offers.

What it does give us is options and presence, something McInnes has spoken about time and again. I won't be surprised to see another three in and probably a couple in January.

It's obvious he's become sick of us faltering towards the end of seasons and being bullied by physical - like us all.

All the best to him!

He sounds absolutely shite but here's hoping he fits in perfectly and is a great signing.

Sevco sign Barton and we sign this dude.... it's gonna be a tough season alright

Aye exactly Sevco spunk all the remaining money on one good player who is also in his 30's just to piander to the Mongol Horde.

What happens if Barton gets injured or canna adjust to the SPL like so many other good EPL players that think our league will be a walk in the park.

We have signed youth, Alexander being the exception but still having the option oh a quality back up keeper unlike last season.

All this negativity and a balls not even been kicked.

By the looks of it we have been backed by the board with more money with all the signings and also with Hayes getting an Improved deal. 5 year ago we would have accepted 500K for Hayes.

Welcome to the Finest Football club in the land Gadjee.

• Upvote 1

He sounds absolutely shite but here's hoping he fits in perfectly and is a great signing.

Sevco sign Barton and we sign this dude.... it's gonna be a tough season alright

Nae sure where fits in. CB or DM?

All the best to him but I won't hold my breath.

It is ironic that some are criticising the recruitment of players from the English lower leagues when many of our key players have played at that level (League 2) or struggled for games in League 1 or the Championship. If the same guy had been taken from the Irish League or another player of the same quality from a league further afield, AFC would have been commended for casting the net out and there would be a level of optimism about the signing.

The most important thing for me to hear was that we have tracked this guy for a while and tried to sign him before. That means Derek and the scouts have watched him and monitored his progress. They like him enough to go back for him.

Of course there's a chance it might not work out but we can't afford to operate in a risk free market. Hopefully he does well and we'll be fighting to keep him next season.

could one of our senior centre backs be on their way?

It looks to me like we're overloading on players now and then will possibly let one or two go in January, either by choice to get them off the wage bill if they're not forcing their way into the team, or perhaps someone coming after Hayes or McGinn.

I'm pleased with our work in this transfer window. I've always argued we had the first XI to win the league but you can't play the same players every week and expect them to do the business every game. We need a squad to back them up and also give us a few new options, and we've got that.

I'm very confident about the new season. Bring it on.

Still feel we'll see the arrival of a higher profile midfielder over the coming weeks.

The signings so far...

Stockley - height up front to win more headers and hold the ball up a bit more, not necessarily here to compete with Rooney.

Storey - different type of striker, someone who will get in behind, stretch defences with pace through middle.

Morris - defensive cover. Obviously caught DM's eye before and didn't want to let chance of signing him go. Feel DM will persist with Taylor and Reynolds/Considine as centre halves as of next week, but now has another option.

Lewis/Alexander - fighting it out for no. 1

O'Connor - not necessarily signed as someone who will go straight into the starting XI, but someone who gives us something different to what we already have - height, aggression, and a general physical presence we have so badly lacked for a couple of seasons now. O'Connor might not feature in some games at all, but it's clear that against the likes of Hearts and St Johnstone, we don't have the right style to confidently say we can beat them. The option to bring someone like O'Connor into these sorts of games should be a step in the right direction in this regard.