Which Celebrity Will Die Next ?

Reed or deed

3 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Whether he's dead or not I always thought he came across as a bit of a bully. Young players were probably terrified of him. Is that good managing?  He had a bit of success at Dundee Utd ( 3 trophies in 23 years or something) but why did he never go down south to manage at a higher level?

Overrated beyond belief imo. 

Nae doot, he was a dinosaur hanz. As I say he'd be unemployable in fitba management nowadays.

Give the man his due though - check oot Dundee Utd's European record during that period and say he didnae get results. A proper fitba man.

2 minutes ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Whether he's dead or not I always thought he came across as a bit of a bully. Young players were probably terrified of him. Is that good managing?  He had a bit of success at Dundee Utd ( 3 trophies in 23 years or something) but why did he never go down south to manage at a higher level?

Overrated beyond belief imo. 

Overrated? Behave yourself hanz!

He took Dundee United, a shitey wee club that averaged under 10k crowds to the QF of the UEFA Cup in 82 and 83, the SF of the European Cup in 84 and the final of the UEFA cup in 87.

He was also up against an all conquering Aberdeen team and an OF that carried all the usual advantages of playing semi finals and finals in their home town.

He was a bully but was of his time. 

1 minute ago, Sooper-hanz said:

He did ok with Dundee Utd.  If he had won a European trophy it would have confirmed hm as a proper ledge. We're taking about a time when Nottingham Forrest won the European Cup twice, Aston Villa won it as well and Ipswich Town also had success in Europe. 

You're on the wind up Hanz. 

Jim McLean did a fantastic job at Dundee United. Of that there is absolutely no question. 

Cloughie winning two European Cups doesn't alter that in any way.

Just now, Sooper-hanz said:

He did ok with Dundee Utd.  If he had won a European trophy it would have confirmed hm as a proper ledge. We're taking about a time when Nottingham Forrest won the European Cup twice, Aston Villa won it as well and Ipswich Town also had success in Europe. 

as did Spurs amazingly enough (only jokin cockers @China)

I enjoyed their 87 season. esp the IFK and Mirren games.

he’s deffo a handful of rungs below the top brass (SAF\Buzzers\Steeen\Cloughie)

8 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Why did he need to go down south and prove himself? 

He took Dundee United to a title, a European trophy and a European Cup semi final.  Is that not enough to prove himself? 

I had a conversation with a Geordie that I worked with about Willie Miller, he said that if Miller was so good, why did he stay at Aberdeen?

I replied that he didn't need to go anywhere because in the early 80's, leaving Aberdeen to go to down south was a near certain step down.

It's the same with McLean, the opportunities he would have had would almost certainly been a step down, at the time, Dundee United was in the top 25 teams in Europe.

5 hours ago, rocket_scientist said:

They won the league only because we won the ECWC and the SC. That's an incredible achievement for a club of that size in that 2-club city. He is a legend in those parts. 

FIFY

They’d have won nowt if our minds weren’t elsewhere