Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Do You Believe In (A) God(S)?

StandFree1982

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in a God/Gods?

• No
    • Yes
    • Not sure
    • I believe in something else...(specify!)

I personally think it's all a load of bollocks. People can believe what they like, but i'm all for believing in something for a reason and not just because it's "whats expected of you" or "my parents believe in it".

For me, it doesn't make sense to believe in something that has absolutely no evidence of it's existence other than word of mouth through thousands of years.

If a God or whatever did exist and came to me and said "Look StandFree1982, I know your not a believer so I thought i'd just pop down and prove to you that I exist" then i'd be like "Aye, cheers min" and i'd happily believe him.

Also...I don't for a second believe that if we did have some allmighty God that he'd want us all to bow to his feet and sing shite songs about him. (S)He'd not have a massive Ego like Christianity seem to peg on him.

Its very easy to dismiss the notion of god out of hand, but you need to be careful what your definition of 'god' is before you do this.

I don't believe in a deity, a wise dude up in the clouds with a white beard who can cast up fire and brimstone and plagues of locusts at will, and I certainly don't believe the bible to be a factual historical account, but I remain open to the possibility that there is something at work which is beyond our current understanding.

However, if you're asking do I believe in god as defined by a religious person, my answer would be don't be so fucking stupid.

Will be surprised if anyone admits to being a god believer on this thread, they will no doubt get a load of abuse directed towards them.

What about Nosre gods like Odin and Thor, or Greek gods like Poseidon and Zues, or is it just god god we are talking about here ? lol.gif

Aren't they from mythology? MYTH.

Noah's ark is a very poor concept when under scrutiny (See Ricky Gervais) and I can't believe people are so taken in by it. God hates gays remember. Yet he also says shaggers should be executed. Boy has issues min.

Maybe acceptable back in the 1100's but certainly not now

Noah's ark is a very poor concept when under scrutiny (See Ricky Gervais) and I can't believe people are so taken in by it. God hates gays remember. Yet he also says shaggers should be executed. Boy has issues min.

They are indeed, well played.

Lady Justica for the win.

But even today, we live in a very contradictory, double standards world, our kids are still taught religious education at school, the next day they are taught science and the big bag theory.

The shops rake in a fortune from "non-believers" from Easter eggs at Easter, to trolly loaded gifts at Xmas, and of course we all seem to enjoy the religious holidays we get annually. Even wedding and funerals with religious songs being sung.

I'll hear not a fucking word said against Thor.

Top god, is Thor.

Incidentally, Thor, Odin, Loki et al, they were worshiped, and thought of, as Gods, not myths, in the same way Xians worship their cloud daddy as a god and not a myth.

EDIT: Not sure anyone worshiped Loki, though. He was a demigod, I believe.

• Upvote 1

Gods were no more than a fabrication of the human mind to explain what was at the time unexplainable.

Now they are just an excuse for ignorance and hate.

Fucking claptrap.

A big amen to that brother!

If there is a God he/she must be a right bad bastard to allow the shit that goes on in the world.

Treat folk the way you, yourself would like to be treated other than that, life's a bitch and then yer deid, end of!

What's your take on Religion? Are you a believer?

No. I do believe that Jesus existed though he didn't do as many miraculous things as is claimed in the bible. Walking on water, feeding 5000 with a loaf and two fish and turning water into wine didn't happen that way. Just a tale of a great guy that has been exaggerated.

No. I do believe that Jesus existed though he didn't do as many miraculous things as is claimed in the bible. Walking on water, feeding 5000 with a loaf and two fish and turning water into wine didn't happen that way. Just a tale of a great guy that has been exaggerated.

Who had his supper, the last supper, at 5pm, not much later like you think.

Why do you think he existed?

Folk who neglect their social lives, who don't invest time with friends and don't meet people accelerate the ever-decreasing circles.

I've been guilty of this of late, not been to the pub with my mates in ages, used to go every night, am going to make an effort to find a happy medium. With sky sports in the house and cheap beer in the supermarkets it's easy to get in the habit of not going out, it isn't near as good at the end of the day as you miss out on the laugh and banter.

Real loyal friends are hard to come by, it is important they get your time.

I've been guilty of this of late, not been to the pub with my mates in ages, used to go every night, am going to make an effort to find a happy medium. With sky sports in the house and cheap beer in the supermarkets it's easy to get in the habit of not going out, it isn't near as good at the end of the day as you miss out on the laugh and banter.

I'm the same as yersel dayts. I only see my mates at the fitba for a few pints before and after then hame. (most of the time) The pubs doon here are deid and they're getting too expensive plus I hate standing at a pub door like a leper having a fag.

I like the criac on here tbh.

Its very easy to dismiss the notion of god out of hand, but you need to be careful what your definition of 'god' is before you do this.

I don't believe in a deity, a wise dude up in the clouds with a white beard who can cast up fire and brimstone and plagues of locusts at will, and I certainly don't believe the bible to be a factual historical account, but I remain open to the possibility that there is something at work which is beyond our current understanding.

However, if you're asking do I believe in god as defined by a religious person, my answer would be don't be so fucking stupid.

Why? There is no evidence for there being a creator so I don't really understand why anyone would think there would be? It's all in our minds and the idea that we are too precious and complex to be created by a random set of events. That there is too much to life for it all to built on a foundation of nothingness.

I like the idea that there is no puppet master, that all there is to life is what you make of it, and the impact you make on others. No need to worry about the after life and instead you will live on in the minds and memories of others. Much nicer thought than any heaven or god.

It's too daft a story to not have some truth to it.

I think the truth simply being there was a man called Jesus kicked about back in the old days and he was a clever guy who could trick people into thinking things happened. An old school Dynamo if you like. I don't believe for a second there was a virgin birth or any of that other bollocks. Jesus never came back from the dead either but he had a lot of people eating out of the palm of his hand with convincing stories and some trickery.

He was simply David Icke but bigger, better and wiser.

I used to concede that a guy called Jesus probably lived, and that maybe he healed people or that he had a following, or that he was a radical anti-Roman, and ended up executed, possibly via crucifixion.

Then I realised that was lazy, and merely pandering to the religious.

There's no real non-biblical verification of Jesus' existence, save the extremely dubious Josephus writings. The Romans themselves have nothing to say about it, and that in itself is telling given all the spectacular miracles Jesus was allegedly performing in Roman territory. You would have expected the Romans to have mentioned the execution of a miracle-maker, even if just in passing.

For something mundane I could give it a pass. Just accept, sure, there probably was "some dude maybe called Jesus...", but not for something as important as the existence of 'The Son of God', and as far as I'm concerned any concession as to the existence of such a guy, without evidence, is giving Christians a free pass. In effect allowing them to make claims for things they have in no way proven.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and for me to concede the existence of their messiah in any form, but without evidence,would be to allow an extraordinary claim to stand without the supporting level of evidence.

And that won't fly for me these days.

I used to concede that a guy called Jesus probably lived, and that maybe he healed people or that he had a following, or that he was a radical anti-Roman, and ended up executed, possibly via crucifixion.

Then I realised that was lazy, and merely pandering to the religious.

There's no real non-biblical verification of Jesus' existence, save the extremely dubious Josephus writings. The Romans themselves have nothing to say about it, and that in itself is telling given all the spectacular miracles Jesus was allegedly performing in Roman territory. You would have expected the Romans to have mentioned the execution of a miracle-maker, even if just in passing.

For something mundane I could give it a pass. Just accept, sure, there probably was "some dude maybe called Jesus...", but not for something as important as the existence of 'The Son of God', and as far as I'm concerned any concession as to the existence of such a guy, without evidence, is giving Christians a free pass. In effect allowing them to make claims for things they have in no way proven.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and for me to concede the existence of their messiah in any form, but without evidence,would be to allow an extraordinary claim to stand without the supporting level of evidence.

And that won't fly for me these days.

Good point with regards to the free pass to Christians. Never thought of it like that. I've always conceded the above without thinking too deep about it.

One thing I do know as a hairy heid myself is that Jesus had epic hair so I'm a follower of Jesus when it comes to hair.

If I had to put a label on what I believe in - because I do believe that we, like dogs and insects and three toed sloths ARE "spiritual beings" (without having a clue what this means) - then it might be nature or luck or vibe or karma or... well... I haven't got a clue what to label it really cos I don't know what it is.

I agree its impossible to put a label on it, but a human being, I will try anyway. I would label it Quality. This is a borrowed idea so I won't try and pass it off as my own, but I like to believe that things in life either have quality or they do not. And when I say Quality, I am talking about an abstract version of the term which has an entire book devoted to it by Robert M Pirsig, rather than just whether you 'like' something or not, or some superficial version of the word.

If you invest you time in 'quality' pursuits and try to base your decisions on whether they have 'quality' or not, then the chances are you will do better than if you base your life on good and evil, or some sort of church inspired morality, or nothingness or chaos or whatever else.

Why? There is no evidence for there being a creator so I don't really understand why anyone would think there would be? It's all in our minds and the idea that we are too precious and complex to be created by a random set of events. That there is too much to life for it all to built on a foundation of nothingness.

I like the idea that there is no puppet master, that all there is to life is what you make of it, and the impact you make on others. No need to worry about the after life and instead you will live on in the minds and memories of others. Much nicer thought than any heaven or god.

I think if you read my post again you will see that I clearly said I did not believe in a 'creator' or 'puppet master'. And I did not mention any after life or heaven either. Strange response.

I've just sent a couple texts to some good mates saying we're fucking going out this weekend and we're going to make it a regular event again, :laughing:

Was inspired by this conversation today.