Out Of Contract

The trouble with selling or losing those players is replacing them. Dundee Utd are a prime example of what not to do when selling players. they sold their best, pocketed decent cash and then didnt replace them, ultimately leading to their relegation. Mr Milne will be very reluctant to just hand over cash to DM to spend on replacements and I dont have the confidence that Derek could replace those players with similar or better quality. Some his signings havent been brilliant over the years and my fear would be replacing said players with utter drivel.

That said, football these days is about buying and selling and no player has an affiliation with the club they play for anymore. It all comes down to whether we believe that both club and manager have the ability to replace those players with adequate quality. Replacing any of our first team players with signings like Monakana, Tate, Zola's etc then we will struggle.

The trouble with selling or losing those players is replacing them. Dundee Utd are a prime example of what not to do when selling players. they sold their best, pocketed decent cash and then didnt replace them, ultimately leading to their relegation. Mr Milne will be very reluctant to just hand over cash to DM to spend on replacements and I dont have the confidence that Derek could replace those players with similar or better quality. Some his signings havent been brilliant over the years and my fear would be replacing said players with utter drivel.

That said, football these days is about buying and selling and no player has an affiliation with the club they play for anymore. It all comes down to whether we believe that both club and manager have the ability to replace those players with adequate quality. Replacing any of our first team players with signings like Monakana, Tate, Zola's etc then we will struggle.

I believe that we could potentially receive a fee of 1.5 million for Mclean. That would certainly go a long way into rebuilding our squad if the fee is spent on replenishing our side. We are currently in a strong position in that we are in Europe, have just finished 2nd in the league for consecutive years and reached two domestic cup finals. Our club reputation has been partly restored and would seen as an attractive proposition for many players. Derek McInnes will probably have an easier time persuading players to join us than he has had in any previous window he's had with us. Provide him with a reasonable wage and transfer budget and he could possible source some good replacements. Greg Stewart, Stevie May, Devlin etc.. would be good players that we could possibly afford. In Fairness to DM he has done fairly well with his signings over the years. You also have to take into account that player such as Tate, Zola, Monakana were not on big wages and were seen as low risk signings/ loan deals. He has been ruthless and moved them on when they failed to make the grade.

I believe that we could potentially receive a fee of 1.5 million for Mclean.

Based on?

We had Hayes with 18 months left on his contract commanding bids of far less than that. McLean might have age on his side compared to Hayes, but I can't see Aberdeen commanding anywhere near that figure when he can be picked up on a pre-contract 6 months later.

I believe that we could potentially receive a fee of 1.5 million for Mclean. That would certainly go a long way into rebuilding our squad if the fee is spent on replenishing our side. We are currently in a strong position in that we are in Europe, have just finished 2nd in the league for consecutive years and reached two domestic cup finals. Our club reputation has been partly restored and would seen as an attractive proposition for many players. Derek McInnes will probably have an easier time persuading players to join us than he has had in any previous window he's had with us. Provide him with a reasonable wage and transfer budget and he could possible source some good replacements. Greg Stewart, Stevie May, Devlin etc.. would be good players that we could possibly afford. In Fairness to DM he has done fairly well with his signings over the years. You also have to take into account that player such as Tate, Zola, Monakana were not on big wages and were seen as low risk signings/ loan deals. He has been ruthless and moved them on when they failed to make the grade.

He can sign for someone else in 6 months for free! 1.5 million!! You are dreaming my son!

Actually I think they did replace them - its just that the replacements turned out to either be shite or to need some time to settle into the team - when the team struggled and lost confidence that became impossible.

So its not just a good example of a club collapsing when losing good players, it demonstrates the problem with trying to replace multiple key players in 1 transfer window - its very easy to get it wrong.

I think our transfer record under McInnes is ok, there are lots of "failures" but realistically that's just what we have to go through to find the guys who can and will succeed for us. So it does take time and a willingness to go through a few failures to make the really good signings IMO.

I'll refer back to my original post "I'd be expecting some good replacements". i believe this was the comment that your entire post was built around. Good replacements is not the same as saying better or equally as good but simply put good. It depends on the availability of good players. By no means did I imply it would be an easy task in replacing these players. Over the past several transfer windows I've clearly acknowledged this (I'm one of only a few on this forum) and have commented regularly on the struggle to source players that could benefit our current side. DM has a potentially challenging transfer window ahead. Thats why I'm keen for the remaining players who are out of contract to stay as I don't believe we can replace the likes of McGinn, Jack or even Taylor. I even commented in my last post that there are very few if any outside of the Celtic side that would improve or add to our squad. What I will say is that if they do leave DM will have spent time looking at potential signings that may be able to replace them. We also will have a significant wage budget at our disposal so I imagine we'd be competitive for any good player that do become available within the transfer market. We have done very well under our current scouting system - Scotland and lower leagues of England. I don't expect that to chance.

@@Dandyesque - firstly who is unrealistic? Take the time to look at the transfer rumour thread and you will see that everyone I suggested is only the same players that are being spouted as potential options. Secondly, my thoughts are that with McLean supposedly keen to leave at the end of his contract (1 year remaining) and the fact as you said he's been playing very well (may I add only in the past 5 months during his time with us) would give us a greater fee in the summer rather than lose him for nothing the following year. With us potentially losing so many key players in the summer that transfer fee may help replace those key players with some good replacements.

No need to be defensive CalgaryDon, I'm just pointing out that its wishful thinking that we can just replace 3 or 4 key midfield players like that - it simply wouldn't happen like that and we'd without doubt need to bring in lower quality players and hope for the best while working away at better replacements over the next 2 windows.

The players you listed as potential targets are quite a big ask - I'd guess we typically make about 1 signing of that quality/standing in every 2 windows.

Actually I think they did replace them - its just that the replacements turned out to either be shite or to need some time to settle into the team - when the team struggled and lost confidence that became impossible.

So its not just a good example of a club collapsing when losing good players, it demonstrates the problem with trying to replace multiple key players in 1 transfer window - its very easy to get it wrong.

I think our transfer record under McInnes is ok, there are lots of "failures" but realistically that's just what we have to go through to find the guys who can and will succeed for us. So it does take time and a willingness to go through a few failures to make the really good signings IMO.

Amen, look at Celtic's signings over the years; guys like boerrigter, absolutely trash, look how terrible Armstrong was originally for them and now he's one of their best players. The Dundee United example was them putting their eggs in one basket and hoping, Robbie Muirhead turned out ok for hearts and is now at MK Dons doing realtively well.

We can replace guys like McGinn, jack, taylor etc its wether the signings come into the team and play well from the off (like Christie, like Shinnie) or they take time to settle into the team and play well (Storey and Stockely look decent but haven't always shown an end product)

i think storey and stockley will both be gone by September

Not too fussed about losing them two. Had high hopes for Storey but if the rumours about his weight and training problems are true then good riddance and I never rated Stockley and he's not really done too much to change my opinion since

No need to be defensive CalgaryDon, I'm just pointing out that its wishful thinking that we can just replace 3 or 4 key midfield players like that - it simply wouldn't happen like that and we'd without doubt need to bring in lower quality players and hope for the best while working away at better replacements over the next 2 windows.

The players you listed as potential targets are quite a big ask - I'd guess we typically make about 1 signing of that quality/standing in every 2 windows.

The best possible outcome we can hope for is that those whose contract are currently set to expire sign on. Apologies I hadn't realized that McLean's contract expires in 6 months time. Unfortunately I can't see him remaining beyond that point. We'll have to see what McInnes has planned if they do decide to move on. It's a shame that after arguably our best season under McInnes the nucleus of the team looks set to be ripped apart.

i think storey and stockley will both be gone by September

Not too fussed about losing them two. Had high hopes for Storey but if the rumours about his weight and training problems are true then good riddance and I never rated Stockley and he's not really done too much to change my opinion since

I actually don't mind Stockley. He's turned out to be an improvement on both Zola and Goodie. This summer could see a huge number of players exiting.

May 2017

Ryan Christie - returns to Celtic

Peter Pawlett - pre-contract signed with MK Dons

Neil Alexander - no contract offered

Joe Nuttall - released

June 2017

Robbie Mutch

Aaron Lennox

Ash Taylor

Jamie Henry

Ryan Jack

Dylan Thomas

Cammy Smith

Niall McGinn

Lawrence Shankland

Aaron Norris

Joe Lewis

Danny Rogers

Shay Logan

Mark Reynolds

Anthony O'Connor

Scott McKenna

Daniel Harvie

Craig Storie

Kenny McLean

Frank Ross

Jayden Stockley

Miles Storey

Graeme Shinnie

Jonny Hayes

Andrew Considine

Scott Wright

Derek McInnes

Tony Docherty

Greg Tansey

Adam Rooney

May 2017

Ryan Christie - returns to Celtic

Peter Pawlett - pre-contract signed with MK Dons

Neil Alexander - no contract offered

Joe Nuttall - released

Robbie Mutch - released

Jamie Henry - released

Dylan Thomas - released

Aaron Norris - released

June 2017

Aaron Lennox

Ash Taylor

Ryan Jack

Cammy Smith

Niall McGinn

Lawrence Shankland

Joe Lewis

Danny Rogers

David Craddock

Shay Logan

Mark Reynolds

Anthony O'Connor

Scott McKenna

Harlain Mbayo

Daniel Harvie

Craig Storie

Kenny McLean

Frank Ross

Jayden Stockley

Miles Storey

Bruce Anderson

Graeme Shinnie

Jonny Hayes

Andrew Considine

Scott Wright

Derek McInnes

Tony Docherty

Greg Tansey

Adam Rooney

Guest RosemountRed

Aaron Lennox - Strange that he's not been announced yet
Ash Taylor - GTF
Ryan Jack - Think he'll end up staying
Cammy Smith - Strange one, they've not said either way yet
Niall McGinn - He's gone, DM said as much last night
Lawrence Shankland - GTF you hun mink

Aaron Lennox - Strange that he's not been announced yet

Ash Taylor - GTF

Ryan Jack - Think he'll end up staying

Cammy Smith - Strange one, they've not said either way yet

Niall McGinn - He's gone, DM said as much last night

Lawrence Shankland - GTF you hun mink

Where did you see DM said McGinn was gone?

• 2 weeks later...