Tv Series

Quite enjoying McMafia and will continue on with it.

But for me - nothing will ever be a patch on the Sopranos and I always use it as the benchmark; rightly or wrongly; for whether or not a series is just good or excellent, as I don't have the inclination to sit and watch anything that isn't one hundred percent captivating.

Although I have heard that Band of Brothers is on par with it. Thoughts?

^ agree The Sopranos the best ever and also agree that sitting watching average is not good.

I do think that McMafia is well worth it so far and I was loving Peaky Blinders until a weakfish end. It ran out of steam.

Then again, many complain about the final episode of Big T. For me, it had to end somewhere and I liked the family/gangster world balance thing.

Watched first episode of series 4 of Black Mirror. Fucking brilliant stuff. 9/10

I watched one episode recently Remind me the content. Black Mirror is class, and harrowing too.

Mindhunter, recommended by dad on here, available on Netflix.

OMFG. This is what I’ve been waiting for. Never heard of it before.

So fucking good. The juxtaposition between pig (cop) mentality and the need to ask questions.

Episode 1 done. Going straight into 2 and probably 3 right now.

Broomhandle rape murders, sicko suicide and Charles Manson so far.

^ agree The Sopranos the best ever and also agree that sitting watching average is not good.

I do think that McMafia is well worth it so far and I was loving Peaky Blinders until a weakfish end. It ran out of steam.

Then again, many complain about the final episode of Big T. For me, it had to end somewhere and I liked the family/gangster world balance thing.

Just completed all series of Peaky Blinders over the festive period. I thought it was excellent. Agree though that finale to series 4 wasnt the best - Not sure what direction they take it in series 5.

Watching Dark on Netflix.

If you can stand watching a German tv series dubbed into American English it might be for you!

Its basically a few kids disappearing in a small German town with a nuclear power plant in it,and theres a time travel element to it.

Its not bad.

I enjoyed Dark, veers into Predestination territory with the time travel side of the story.

Started on La Mante, French crime thriller which has been quite gory so far.

Watched the first two McMafia after the Englandshire PL games over the last two nights...

Seems quite similar to The Night Manager that was on BBC1 last year - not complaining just think the similarities are very obvious in both the plot and the types of actors they have cast...

Will see how Ep.3 goes but not convinced it is going to be anything groundbreaking just the usual solid safe drama from Auntie

I like something a bit unusual so am definitely going to look at Mindbenders.

My recent favourites have been

Flashforward - everyone gets to see what they will be doing 6months ahead and the FBI try and work out what caused it

The Leftovers - was ok for the first couple of series - when the dad came back into it it got totally OTT

Snowfall - storyline was very see through but actually was very enjoyable - might of been cause it was a binge watch that I like it so much though

Fortitude - had that x-factor

Stranger Things - if you ignore the mahoosive plot holes it is good entertainment - cliff hangers straight out of 1980s horror movies though which is pretty naff

American Gods - was a total mindfcuk if you hadn't read the book (which I hadn't) - well cast - the Irish Leprechaun was superb

The Tunnel was very enjoyable - some of the dynamics were stereotypical but generally the idea and plot was decent - yet to start on Series#3

Mr Robot - another well trod concept of IT hacker but with some major plot twists - some great acting performances in this too - one to stick at but can see why a lot of people have lost interest

Borgen was very entertaining - but very much in the ilk of West Wing (subtitled)

Lucifer - My guilty pleasure - Tom Ellis plays this main character brilliantly and plenty of eye-candy for all genders

Mindhunter. Best series I’ve EVER seen, on TV, at the cinema, online, anyfuckingwhere.

based on this review, when i couldn't sleep at 2 am, i started watching it and immediately regretted it after the first 10 minutes, but finished watching the first one.

only the one episode watched, but it's immensely good (though will be a daylight hour watch for me in future).

I like something a bit unusual so am definitely going to look at Mindbenders.

My recent favourites have been

Flashforward - everyone gets to see what they will be doing 6months ahead and the FBI try and work out what caused it

The Leftovers - was ok for the first couple of series - when the dad came back into it it got totally OTT

Snowfall - storyline was very see through but actually was very enjoyable - might of been cause it was a binge watch that I like it so much though

Fortitude - had that x-factor

Stranger Things - if you ignore the mahoosive plot holes it is good entertainment - cliff hangers straight out of 1980s horror movies though which is pretty naff

American Gods - was a total mindfcuk if you hadn't read the book (which I hadn't) - well cast - the Irish Leprechaun was superb

The Tunnel was very enjoyable - some of the dynamics were stereotypical but generally the idea and plot was decent - yet to start on Series#3

Mr Robot - another well trod concept of IT hacker but with some major plot twists - some great acting performances in this too - one to stick at but can see why a lot of people have lost interest

Borgen was very entertaining - but very much in the ilk of West Wing (subtitled)

Lucifer - My guilty pleasure - Tom Ellis plays this main character brilliantly and plenty of eye-candy for all genders

Half way through season 2 of Stranger Things, its alright. I can watch it but my girlfriend told me it was amazing, Id give it a 6/10.

based on this review, when i couldn't sleep at 2 am, i started watching it and immediately regretted it after the first 10 minutes, but finished watching the first one.

only the one episode watched, but it's immensely good (though will be a daylight hour watch for me in future).

I watched all 10 episodes in a one-ner. Occasionally I come across something that my “addictive personality” - I don’t buy that, I think there’s nothing wrong with good old-fashioned enthusiasm - succumbs to. I often start a book and literally can’t put it down.

Television is normally dead time that we don’t get back. This is the most intelligent observational stuff I’ve ever encountered, on multiple levels. Wait until you see the relationships develop. This thrashes The Sopranos for me, my hitherto all time fav.

Manhunt: The Unabomber also done in a one-ner and also better than The Sopranos for me.

Thanks for the rec. Very similar theme to Mindhunter - internal FBI, innovative profiling detection techniques on sicko psychology, the establishment thick cop resistance - but also very intelligent ideas and plot lines.

Outstanding. What a weird coincidence. My previous (very) long standing fav series gets beaten twice, within a period of less than 36 hours. Crime dramas are changing. Both made 2017 I notice. Hope they both go on to produce a similar large body of work and maintain these hugely thought provoking standards and quality. Would love to discuss and debate some of the specifics but spoiler alerts for those not yet seen them.

I know ignore that, typing whilst half watching Saturday morning kitchen

Will post it later, very proud of it

Does half watching also excuse your not knowing that Yorkshire tea is not grown in Yorks and that Brooke Bond is not grown in Merseyside?