• 2 weeks later...

The Establishment - and how they get away with it. Owen Jones

Kinda preaching to the converted with me really. To be honest I didn't really learn anything new that I wanted to know in the first place. I'm already aware of how they do what they do and I'm not at all interested in who started what, when and where etc. Lots of facts and figures that are fairly irrelevant to me. Bigger question for me is "why do people put up with it?"

Last chapter is titled Democratic Revolution. Fuck the democratic part. The Romanians got it right with Ceausescu, I'd love to see the same thing happen here.

The Establishment - and how they get away with it. Owen Jones

Kinda preaching to the converted with me really. To be honest I didn't really learn anything new that I wanted to know in the first place. I'm already aware of how they do what they do and I'm not at all interested in who started what, when and where etc. Lots of facts and figures that are fairly irrelevant to me. Bigger question for me is "why do people put up with it?"

Last chapter is titled Democratic Revolution. Fuck the democratic part. The Romanians got it right with Ceausescu, I'd love to see the same thing happen here.

Owen Jones ffs

Can't Hurt Me. Master Your Mind And Defy The Odds - David Goggins.

Bad motherfucker.

Dude manages to keep his demons in check with extreme physical achievements. Some of the stuff he has done and describes in the book had me recoiling and wincing in almost real physical pain for him. Ultra Marathons. 3 Hell Weeks in the Navy Seals (only the 36th black dude ever to be a SEAL) The world record for most pull ups in 24 hours. Shit loads more. All done while having a hole in the heart he didn't know about, and sickle cell, which he did. His idea being that if you master your body, you master your mind, which of course is true, and he challenges you to join him, to be the best you can be. Challenge accepted Goggins but I ain't running 100 miles til I'm pissing blood, have shit running down my legs and have broken bones in my shins and feet.

Harder than Woody Woodpeckers nose this son of a bitch.

Loved this book. Very honest guy. It's an autobiography. Talks about the physical abuse at the hands of his father and his hard hard childhood (the cunt pulled a gun out on him when he was 8 - fuck !! ) which helped push him on to succeed.

Done one or two podcasts with Joe Rogan that are good. 

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just finished "Arnhem: The Battles for the Bridges 1944" by Anthony Beevor.

Its very good, as per anything Beevor does.  I like his ability to drop down to "street level" and offer little anecdotes from civilians and ordinary soldiers, as well as discuss the battle at a higher tactical / strategic level.

I have been to Arnhem a few times and the Oosterbeek Airborne Museum, so the book had a special appeal for me.

Highly recommended.

Just finished "Arnhem: The Battles for the Bridges 1944" by Anthony Beevor.

Its very good, as per anything Beevor does. I like his ability to drop down to "street level" and offer little anecdotes from civilians and ordinary soldiers, as well as discuss the battle at a higher tactical / strategic level.

I have been to Arnhem a few times and the Oosterbeek Airborne Museum, so the book had a special appeal for me.

Highly recommended.

Excellent read (As are his books on Stalingrad, Berlin, The Ardennes etc.) and the stories of the British paratroopers who held out to the very end were unbelievable.

Even the Germans admitted that it was some of the hardest fighting that they faced on a par with the Eastern front.

`We Fought at Arnhem' by Mike Rossiter is a brilliant read and also tells the stories from a soldiers perspective. Harrowing but worth the read.

Excellent read (As are his books on Stalingrad, Berlin, The Ardennes etc.) and the stories of the British paratroopers who held out to the very end were unbelievable.

Even the Germans admitted that it was some of the hardest fighting that they faced on a par with the Eastern front.

`We Fought at Arnhem' by Mike Rossiter is a brilliant read and also tells the stories from a soldiers perspective. Harrowing but worth the read.

The Stalingrad one is fucking ace-balls.  Quite long though. 

• 7 months later...

I read a fair bit. Probably more than I watch TV. Depends on the mood, but like a mix of fiction and non-fiction. 

Even though I listen to a lot of podcasts, I have never been able to get into audiobooks. Just don't appeal. 

But I also said I'd never get a Kindle as I liked the feel of a proper book. 

Since I got my Kindle about four years ago I haven't paid for a book since. All available free on the interweb. Magic! 

1 hour ago, YorkDon said:

Reckon I’ve several, but i’m the world’s top procrastinator.I swear I don’t have time but only work 4 days a week.

Got a few days off coming up, might start something then...

One of those things that seems easy but is extremley difficult to do well. Take that last sentance for example . I couldn't even spell ' extremely' correctley nor ' sentence' in the second line, nor 'correctly' in the third. The editing and proofreading alone would be a fucking knightmare.