Aberdeen FC confirm Jimmy Thelin appointment ✍️ ×

Nfl

RAZOR

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Poodler said:

How come the average nfl career is three years but Brady has played for twenty one? 

surely that's like the equivalent of playing pro fitba in your sixties?

QBs will often go on for longer especially one with the style of Brady, extensive testosterone replacement therapy will maybe help on top of that.

The Buccs D dominated and just let Brady do his thing. The Chiefs were awful. Morons in defence giving away penalty after penalty, receivers dropping catches, O-line offering no protection. They were like the NFL equivalent of the Dons last night.

The half time show was pish as well. Apparently that guy put $7m of his own money towards it as well. 

1 hour ago, Scotty_Toronto said:

Different positions would have different career lengths with the average career of a lineman bringing the numbers down. 

A good proportion of players who "make it" to the NFL play a fraction of a season and are never heard of again, it really is a "what have you done lately" sport.

Salary wise Brady is on (approx) $27.9 this year, (with $25m guaranteed) next best is Mike Evans on $16.6m but no guarantees.

Tampa have 8 guys on less than $1m.

• 2 months later...
On 9/16/2020 at 5:28 PM, Clydeside_Sheep said:

Good win for the not-redskins against the eagles, esp the 4th quarter score.

Here below is more on the name change, seemingly the woke wankers are now gunning for teams like the Chiefs and (in baseball) the Atlanta Braves.

Apparently even those names are offensive for some strange reason (I would have thought they were acceptable, where Redskin was not).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/terencemoore/2020/07/13/washington-redskins-are-making-atlanta-braves-kansas-city-chiefs-and-others-look-clueless-regarding-native-americans/#42e959851598

You know what will happen, after they have expunged all references to Native Americans from American sport, the same people will turn around and say Native Americans have no visibility in sport and that this is racist.

As for the new name, I suggest Washington Niggers  Washington Cherokees.

Yank here... know a thing or two about the NFL.

In my humble opinion...the "Washington football team" should change their name to the "braves

... the redskins actually started out in Boston back in the 1930s...so did the baseball team that is now the Atlanta Braves

The football team chose the name Braves because they played at the baseball Boston Braves ballpark.

They later moved to Fenway park (home of the red sox) and so to pay homage to them, the football Braves became the RED skins (get it?). Eventually they moved to Washington. The baseball braves moved to Milwaukee and eventually Atlanta.

This also brings up another point. The name redskins was really just a play on words with respect to the red Sox. Their wasn't really any racial animosoty. But I can appreciate how the name redskins rubs certain folks the wrong way. By contrast the name "braves" is just the name of a tribe; it's not a slur. So Washington could re- adopt that name, be a bit more PC, while at the same time paying homage to their past.

Just my two cents!

• Upvote 1
On 4/24/2021 at 5:22 PM, LexiconDevil said:

Yank here... know a thing or two about the NFL.

In my humble opinion...the "Washington football team" should change their name to the "braves

... the redskins actually started out in Boston back in the 1930s...so did the baseball team that is now the Atlanta Braves

The football team chose the name Braves because they played at the baseball Boston Braves ballpark.

They later moved to Fenway park (home of the red sox) and so to pay homage to them, the football Braves became the RED skins (get it?). Eventually they moved to Washington. The baseball braves moved to Milwaukee and eventually Atlanta.

This also brings up another point. The name redskins was really just a play on words with respect to the red Sox. Their wasn't really any racial animosoty. But I can appreciate how the name redskins rubs certain folks the wrong way. By contrast the name "braves" is just the name of a tribe; it's not a slur. So Washington could re- adopt that name, be a bit more PC, while at the same time paying homage to their past.

Just my two cents!

Thanks for your input, interesting to hear the view from the US and how the team names developed.

I get why "redskin" could be perceived as racist in today's world, the term seems to have had a varied past with it being seen alternately as noble or offensive.

I had always hoped the team could come to some agreement with native americans, to settle the term as a positive and to "reclaim" it as something intended to honour the indigenous people.

But hey what is done is done.  I managed to catch a few games that last season and it didnt seem as bad as I feared.

But what a sad change to one of the most famous team names, of any sport, in the world.  And everything that is lost with it, like the "hail to the redskins" song etc.

Lets hope the new name can achieve a similar resonance in sport.

I dont know much about US sporting culture, but I have always though they are more prepared to "vandalise" (if you will) their sports teams, for example with moving teams to a different city (which has happened a lot in the NFL).  Making such fundamental changes is relatively unheard of here, I can only think of one example in england, which has been fairly unsuccessful (when wimbledon became MK dons).

Cheers!

• Dildo 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...