Hibernian 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Very good performance on Saturday. was 2-1 going on 5. 

Penalty aside, GMS was immense. I've given him a bit of a hard time lately so I'm glad I've had to eat my own words. Up and down the line for the full game. Hoban not far behind him as the next standout. Fantastic performance. Glad we also got to see Cerny's time wasting abilities.

There are some fantastic threads on hibs.net, particularly this one. http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?337305-Going-down-easily-moaning-at-the-ref-going-in-hard-feigning-injury-wasting-timeAmazing considering Hibs are hopeless.

Quietly confident for the game on Wednesday.

Yeah, the points that the Hibs fans make regarding Shinnie are valid... and probably the things we'll miss the most.  Maybe we take them for granted.

Technically, I don't think Shinnie is particularly good midfielder.  In fact I know he isn't.  However, he is the heart-beat of the team, he's a leader and he drives us forward. He's always biting and scratching and is constantly in the referee's face.  The reality of Scottish football, is that to become a successful team, you need a player who fits this mould.

Yeah, the points that the Hibs fans make regarding Shinnie are valid... and probably the things we'll miss the most.  Maybe we take them for granted.

Technically, I don't think Shinnie is particularly good midfielder.  In fact I know he isn't.  However, he is the heart-beat of the team, he's a leader and he drives us forward. He's always biting and scratching and is constantly in the referee's face.  The reality of Scottish football, is that to become a successful team, you need a player who fits this mould.

He's a much better version of Willo Flood. I think he's been expected to do too much but with every game, Ferguson seems to be taking on a bit more of the responsibility. Great driving run for the pen too and knew what he was doing leaving his leg in for the penalty. Plays with a maturity well beyond his years.

He's a much better version of Willo Flood. I think he's been expected to do too much but with every game, Ferguson seems to be taking on a bit more of the responsibility. Great driving run for the pen too and knew what he was doing leaving his leg in for the penalty. Plays with a maturity well beyond his years.

If we have no clue yet who is replacing Shinnie what would be the ideal partnership for Ferguson? A Jack 'crab' type, a Dom Ball 'destroyer' type or a Kenny McLean 'deep playmaker'?

Never crossed my mind that they were time wasting with Cerny's substitution. First of all, it was the first half. I know we're not above a cheeky bit of time wasting but not in the first half against Hibs. Ironically Joe is very good at it. Anyway, what was the point? Obviously it would all get added on. I guess Cerny could have been stripped a bit quicker but there was no advantage gained here...was there?

Never crossed my mind that they were time wasting with Cerny's substitution. First of all, it was the first half. I know we're not above a cheeky bit of time wasting but not in the first half against Hibs. Ironically Joe is very good at it. Anyway, what was the point? Obviously it would all get added on. I guess Cerny could have been stripped a bit quicker but there was no advantage gained here...was there?

There were 5 minutes added on. No idea what else they want.

Same here. I didn't think it was time-wasting. I wondered if McInnes was trying to give Joe as much time as possible to see if he'd be able to carry on. It also crossed my mind that McInnes was maybe toying with the idea of taking Joe off for the rest of the first half , but not using up a substitution , and using half-time to find out if Joe would be OK to go back on for the second half (bearing in mind we'd already had to use one for Cosgrove) and playing for a few minutes with one of the outfield players in goals. But it was during the stoppage for Joe getting treated that the board came up showing injury time as 5 minutes , minimum. So , in my mind , McInnes thought that'd be too long to risk an outfield player in goals.

I fully accept that this theory is probably shite

Same here. I didn't think it was time-wasting. I wondered if McInnes was trying to give Joe as much time as possible to see if he'd be able to carry on. It also crossed my mind that McInnes was maybe toying with the idea of taking Joe off for the rest of the first half , but not using up a substitution , and using half-time to find out if Joe would be OK to go back on for the second half (bearing in mind we'd already had to use one for Cosgrove) and playing for a few minutes with one of the outfield players in goals. But it was during the stoppage for Joe getting treated that the board came up showing injury time as 5 minutes , minimum. So , in my mind , McInnes thought that'd be too long to risk an outfield player in goals.

That's some decent glue you're sniffing there.   :rolleyes:

Yeah, not sure I'm with you with that one.

If we have no clue yet who is replacing Shinnie what would be the ideal partnership for Ferguson? A Jack 'crab' type, a Dom Ball 'destroyer' type or a Kenny McLean 'deep playmaker'?

Ideally the Maclean type beside Ferguson with an advanced midfielder with a scoring threat in front of them. This is what the Tim’s do very very well, rotating Brown Macgregor and Rogic round the three positions.

The Jack type is fine if he’s a leader (again Brown is the bench mark). No use if he’s a fanny who hides amongst a shite defence being hounded and pressed. At Ibrox by avoiding the latter two he’s still getting away with the former.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think it is fair to say that tactically DM got it bang right.

I think the back 3 that Stewart saw was more that we played with a front 3 and asked Lowe to push on, on the left side without anyone 'naturally' in front of him.

Logan with GMS on that side was asked to sit in more.

In the past versus them we've been happy to let them have it at the back but ceding that possession hasn't allowed us to control the game the way the manager likes, although allowing Efe to have it, genuinely can be seen as an attacking threat - for us, with him gone. He's changed the way we set up, and as per usual, we rolled them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Very good performance on Saturday. was 2-1 going on 5. 

Penalty aside, GMS was immense. I've given him a bit of a hard time lately so I'm glad I've had to eat my own words. Up and down the line for the full game. Hoban not far behind him as the next standout. Fantastic performance. Glad we also got to see Cerny's time wasting abilities.

There are some fantastic threads on hibs.net, particularly this one. http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?337305-Going-down-easily-moaning-at-the-ref-going-in-hard-feigning-injury-wasting-timeAmazing considering Hibs are hopeless.

Quietly confident for the game on Wednesday.

Think GMS had a very good game as well.  He was everywhere.  I'd be surprised if anyone covered more ground than he did.

Think GMS had a very good game as well. He was everywhere. I'd be surprised if anyone covered more ground than he did.

He was brilliant. Thought Shinnie was MOTM but GMS and Ferguson were also excellent, streets ahead of anyone Hibs had on the pitch and enabled us to control the game. Heard a few of them outside afterwards complaining about the ref and our tactics when really they should have been thankful we didn't take 4 or 5 off them.

He was brilliant. Thought Shinnie was MOTM but GMS and Ferguson were also excellent, streets ahead of anyone Hibs had on the pitch and enabled us to control the game. Heard a few of them outside afterwards complaining about the ref and our tactics when really they should have been thankful we didn't take 4 or 5 off them.

Our wastefulness really saved Hibs blushes there.  

Wilson missed two great chances through on goal and then the missed penalty.  That's another 3 goals we absolutely should have had... a there were a few other decent chances if memory serves.  We missed a bit of an opportunity to give them a real punishing.

Shinnie was by far the best player I thought, not saying others weren't good but his performance was just brilliant. Same again tomorrow.

Our wastefulness really saved Hibs blushes there.  

Wilson missed two great chances through on goal and then the missed penalty.  That's another 3 goals we absolutely should have had... a there were a few other decent chances if memory serves.  We missed a bit of an opportunity to give them a real punishing.

Wilson was brilliant when he came on.