Reserve & Youth Teams Thread

Will the games be played at Cove?

I hope so as I'm off Mondays and might go to a few games if the weather is fine.

The first three homes are due to be played there so you're in luck.

1 MON 20/08/2018 :Ross County v Aberdeen at Highland Football Academy 2pm

2 MON 27/08/2018 :Aberdeen v Falkirk at Balmoral Stadium 2pm

3 MON 03/09/2018 :Celtic v Aberdeen at Cappielow Park 2pm

4 MON 24/09/2018 :Aberdeen v Kilmarnock at Balmoral Stadium 2pm

5 MON 29/10/2018 :Aberdeen v Sevco at Balmoral Stadium 2pm.

The first three homes are due to be played there so you're in luck.

1 MON 20/08/2018 :Ross County v Aberdeen at Highland Football Academy 2pm

2 MON 27/08/2018 :Aberdeen v Falkirk at Balmoral Stadium 2pm

3 MON 03/09/2018 :Celtic v Aberdeen at Cappielow Park 2pm

4 MON 24/09/2018 :Aberdeen v Kilmarnock at Balmoral Stadium 2pm

5 MON 29/10/2018 :Aberdeen v Sevco at Balmoral Stadium 2pm.

Stupid time for a ko. Remember the days of 7pm at Pittodrie on a Monday. Always had a decent crowd turning up

How big is the squad for covering the reserves too? Will we end up keeping a few experienced players purely as reserves like we used to do? And will the scheduling for these matches be convenient for recovery for first team action?

Many questions.....

It's not going to make a huge difference to us from last years Development League. You were allowed up to 5 or 6 overage players in that and we rarely had more than 2 or 3. The Reserve Squad will just be the same players.

Monday matches means if a 1st team fringe player wasn't used at the weekend he could make an appearance in the reserve game to keep up his fitness while still being available for the next 1st team match. There might be less stigma this year against playing overage players so we may see unused subs taking part in these matches more often. The 2pm kickoffs are just more convenient for the players and staff. The reserve league is to develop the players - not really intended to be part of the entertainment product the club makes money on - so fan access doesn't take priority over the impact to the players if they were playing in and travelling for evening games.

It's not going to make a huge difference to us from last years Development League. You were allowed up to 5 or 6 overage players in that and we rarely had more than 2 or 3. The Reserve Squad will just be the same players.

Monday matches means if a 1st team fringe player wasn't used at the weekend he could make an appearance in the reserve game to keep up his fitness while still being available for the next 1st team match. There might be less stigma this year against playing overage players so we may see unused subs taking part in these matches more often. The 2pm kickoffs are just more convenient for the players and staff. The reserve league is to develop the players - not really intended to be part of the entertainment product the club makes money on - so fan access doesn't take priority over the impact to the players if they were playing in and travelling for evening games.

That makes sense to me, I'd reckon the new Reserve League will end up with 3 or 4 older players who are either permanent reserves (like Reynolds) or coming back from injury mixed in with the youngsters to give them an experienced lead. The level of competition will depend on how other clubs fill their reserve squads. Be interesting to see how it pans out as a bridge between youth and first team

That makes sense to me, I'd reckon the new Reserve League will end up with 3 or 4 older players who are either permanent reserves (like Reynolds) or coming back from injury mixed in with the youngsters to give them an experienced lead. The level of competition will depend on how other clubs fill their reserve squads. Be interesting to see how it pans out as a bridge between youth and first team

Development league allowed for over age players as well though. So will it really be better?

I think it's the right idea, just not convinced it's going to be a revelation.

Development league allowed for over age players as well though. So will it really be better?

I think it's the right idea, just not convinced it's going to be a revelation.

Yeah think the idea is to push it more to the old reserve League style, but that really only benefits two clubs who can afford (sort of) to run big squads of first team level players, while most of the other clubs will mainly have youth players in there. I think we'll still see more loans of our players as the new Rserve League won't get up to any decent level of senior competitiveness for a few years

Another good performance from the young players. Anderson took his chances well - a penalty, a tap in from a Dangana cross and a rebound off an Antionazzi shot - and could have had one more after good linkup play with Dangana. Harrington continues to impress me - if Logans form doesn't improve from last seasons I can see him making a push for that position. Campbell looks too comfortable at this level so hopefully he gets plenty of 1st team chances to push him on. Dangana is looking like another good prospect too.

Cerny doesn't seem confident kicking. Was taking ages right from the start to take goal kicks, so much so that he eventually got booked for time-wasting when I don't even think he was time wasting deliberately - just unsure WTF he was doing. He made a couple of crucial saves though.

Oh, and it's a No for Nowak from me.

Two trialists today; Nowak we ken about, wonder who the other one is?

I did hear we had two young English central midfielders on trial recently

Assume the other trialist is Morgan Brown.

Wore number 8.

Very lively and involved midfielder.

Got a yellow and could have had a second.

Not so prominent in the second half, then got subbed.

Sam Roscoe (apart from one short backpass to the keeper) impressed.

Anderson (I believe) had 2 goals from his first 3 touches.

A penalty, an easy conversion from a centering pass, then followed in to finish off a rebound to complete his hat-trick.

Surely Deek has seen enough of Nowak to make a decision now.

Doesn't sound like he's worth bringing in from what people have said.

I got the impression he was only being kept around to make up the numbers but with Reynolds getting injured I could see McInnes giving him a 12 month deal.