Films

1 minute ago, Sooper-hanz said:

If we’re talking old films then Chinatown is excellent as well. Jack Nicholson ( though not black and white) 

Great film. There was a sequel which wasn’t nearly as good but still worth checking out.

Nicholson is my favourite actor, ultimate box-office back in the day, made some great movies. ‘One Flew Over the Cukoo’s Nest’ is an obvious favourite but a lesser known great is ‘Five Easy Pieces’ where he plays a cunt.

6 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

Now you've picked one I struggle with there.

Not saying it's bad by any means but folk wax on about it in terms of best film/screenplay ever and well, I just don't see it in those terms. 

Each to their own, I suppose. 

It’s ‘modern’ noir. Not everyone likes / gets noir.

See also ‘LA Confidential’

14 minutes ago, tutankamun said:

It’s ‘modern’ noir. Not everyone likes / gets noir.

See also ‘LA Confidential’

I don't consider LA Confidential to be noir. 

If it is, then it must be a sub-category, something like 'renaissance noir' as **spoiler alert**

The violent cop (Crowe) and the prostitute (Bassinger) transform and live happily ever after. By standard noir rules they should both be unable to transform and die by then end.

In addition the good cop (Mike from Neighbors) finds closure. Again, this shouldn't happen, he should die after getting the information or live on without it, still in pain. Closure in noir seems to work along these lines.

35 minutes ago, Dal Riata Don said:

I don't consider LA Confidential to be noir. 

If it is, then it must be a sub-category, something like 'renaissance noir' as **spoiler alert**

The violent cop (Crowe) and the prostitute (Bassinger) transform and live happily ever after. By standard noir rules they should both be unable to transform and die by then end.

In addition the good cop (Mike from Neighbors) finds closure. Again, this shouldn't happen, he should die after getting the information or live on without it, still in pain. Closure in noir seems to work along these lines.

I think they call it neo-noir

22 hours ago, tutankamun said:

Great film. There was a sequel which wasn’t nearly as good but still worth checking out.

Nicholson is my favourite actor, ultimate box-office back in the day, made some great movies. ‘One Flew Over the Cukoo’s Nest’ is an obvious favourite but a lesser known great is ‘Five Easy Pieces’ where he plays a cunt.

Both great movies. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest is in my top 10 movies 

On 1/15/2023 at 1:16 PM, For Fecks Sake said:

Loved Big Trouble in Little China and let's see what the much alluded sequel starring the Rock alongside Kurt Russell will bring.

One of my favourite films, classic 80's romp.

Not sure a sequel would work these days. Jack Burton in his 70's, presumably no Lo Pan or 3 storms given their demise. The Rock?! No ta.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Just watched the trailer for that on Netflix and also thought "Meh".

Still to watch the new "All quiet on the western front" but it's on my watchlist and will be a film for when Mrs FFS is next out.

The original is peak film. If you get over the guy from Airwolf being in it I think.

The Age of Adaline that's a film.

On 1/15/2023 at 1:20 PM, tutankamun said:

Mine too. 

In addition to the ones you’ve mentioned he was also brilliant in the last detail, a few good men, the departed, Batman, the crossing guard and Hoffa. 

Unlike de Niro and Pacino he also largely avoided padding out his later years with utter shite like bad grandpa and rocky & bull winkle. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, elephantstone78 said:

Mine too. 

In addition to the ones you’ve mentioned he was also brilliant in the last detail, a few good men, the departed, Batman, the crossing guard and Hoffa. 

Unlike de Niro and Pacino he also largely avoided padding out his later years with utter shite like bad grandpa and rocky & bull winkle. 

Didn’t think I’d enjoy as good as it gets, however after watching a couple of times definitely worth the watch. Jack as ever commands your attention, “ he says while watching a few good men “ 

• Upvote 1