Car Tyres

zig-a-zig-ah

I got a new set of tyres about a month ago from the local garage. The garage is normally great; give me a list of tyres and I choose which ever I have heard of and are the cheapest. But last time I was in they were really pushing a particular tyre. Acting almost like salesmen. Not sure if they had got a job-lot in of them or what the chat was, but they assured me they were the way forward and they were pretty cheap. A month later and I reckon I was done. Cars got nowhere near the same grip on the road it had previously. Maybe I need to wear them in a bit; but I've never had problems with tyres before.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Does anyone have experience of blackcircles own brand tyres?

Bought an Astra last year with 19" alloys on it, half decent tyres are expensive when I'm after 4 at once... black circles come in around £70 each but I'd be concerned they'll last half as long and so I'd be as well getting ones twice as expensive...

Bought an Astra last year with 19" alloys on it, half decent tyres are expensive when I'm after 4 at once... black circles come in around £70 each but I'd be concerned they'll last half as long and so I'd be as well getting ones twice as expensive...

Had a set a few years ago and went through them in 10k miles.

IVe never used blackcircles own brand, but would say you are right to be wary unless given a good recommendation for them.

This thing is 'own brand' tires can change, depending on what seller has a supply of. I have heard Kiwk Fits "own brand" (called Arrow Speed or CEAT) are alright.

The difference is performance between tires (grip / stopping distance / wear) can be amazing and is something I used to overlook. That said, most modern tires are probably much better than the remoulds which used to be legal.

What size are your tires? 235/35/19? If you could stretch to around £100 per corner, you should be able to get something decent.

Premium tires are expensive and - while some may scoff - you can buy them second hand in good nick with decent tread remaining. Its more hassle, but a nearly new, premium tire in good condition is (imo) better than a brand new budget tire.

I have bought a 17" alloy wheel and nearly new good-year tires before from ebay and it was great (the time I hit a kerb with my old vectra at about 40 mph - wrecked a wheel and burst two goodyears).

• Upvote 1

Kwik fit currently offering online per tire (in 235/35/19, fitted if you buy 4:)

Unnamed budget at £68

Arrowspeed at £80

Goodyear Eagle F1 at £113

Mytires.co.uk currently offering per tire (same size / conditions):

Uniroyal Rainsport 3 £100.60

Hankook Ventus £107

Pirelli P Zero Nero GT £111

Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 A £113.50

If I was you, Id probably look at those arrowspeed / uniroyal / hankooks before the black circles own brand.

• Upvote 1

I bought from TyreLeader which were delievered to the garage in Dyce up from Marshall trailers, cheapest price I could find but then cost me bloody £72 to dispose of old ones and fit the new ones.

I think you pay the fitting on BlackCircles so would have probably been cheaper if I had done it like that. :clangers2:

I'm having loads of trouble just now with the Mini's runflats, they're expensive and crap, just not holding pressure for more than a couple days, been looking around and really tempted to swap the front 2 for normal tyres, can get a pair from Black circles fitted at just over a ton, alloys and runflats are just a recipe for trouble, never again. Chuck some cheap tyres on my Focus and they last for years with no problems, won't get a car with alloys again.

I recommend Cooper tyres, for fuck sake don't go near that robbing bastards tawse in inverurie, I've been there and watched the cunts , make a fool out of the usual clueless cunts that turn up for tyres,

Cue the alleged checking of a tyres road legalness, upon this check which usually ends with every tyre being dangerously bald, which to any cunt that has a shade of knowledge can see they are not, they are removed then put to a separate pile to the actual bald ones, ( to be sold for cash privately) then the customary recommendation of the dearest tyres they have is suggested to replace the removed ones, the customer asks the cost, and the reply is they are the best, usually Goodyear, or whatever,

They are then ripped off something cunting whilst the thieving fuckers laugh at another sucker

Before you ask, no never used them before and never will, but I know from the way they used to try to rip off donside tyres customers,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I recommend Cooper tyres, for fuck sake don't go near that robbing bastards tawse in inverurie, I've been there and watched the cunts , make a fool out of the usual clueless cunts that turn up for tyres,

Cue the alleged checking of a tyres road legalness, upon this check which usually ends with every tyre being dangerously bald, which to any cunt that has a shade of knowledge can see they are not, they are removed then put to a separate pile to the actual bald ones, ( to be sold for cash privately) then the customary recommendation of the dearest tyres they have is suggested to replace the removed ones, the customer asks the cost, and the reply is they are the best, usually Goodyear, or whatever,

They are then ripped off something cunting whilst the thieving fuckers laugh at another sucker

Before you ask, no never used them before and never will, but I know from the way they used to try to rip off donside tyres customers,

I'm calling that out as bullshit.

Without using a tyre depth gauge yourself and actually seeing the tyres close up how can you tell that they didn't need to be changed?

My guess is they are on the expensive side as most big name places tend to be you seen your bill and being a grippy farmer decided to fabricate a story.

You say you've seen it but you've never been there to get work done. As I said utter lies.