Out Of Contract

I guess no news is good news? He also dodged the question about McLean in the press conference too

Nothing to dodge. It is all Scottish Media made up garbage.

These 3 players should have a time limit IMO.

As soon as they can talk to other clubs make them an offer if they decline, off they go, no other contact offer from Aberdeen.

This let's wait and see what offers come in before we make up our minds is rubbish.

If no suitable offers come their way the will stay with a club they do not regard as their number one choice.

still only 19 so presumably looking at retaining him for the u20 squad. would be great to develop our own centre back

still only 19 so presumably looking at retaining him for the u20 squad. would be great to develop our own centre back

Anderson's loon is only 16 from memory? He's played a few games at u20 level if I'm not mistaken? Thought McKenna looked ok last season, not sure how well he's done this year on his loan spell

It also says Kenny Mclean is 'unlikely to sign a contract extention' and is 'keen to try his luck in England' as if these things are facts. They don't have a fuckin clue what his plans are, ignore them. Owned by the same people that own the Daily Retard.

Realistically when are we thinking we'll hear about the 3 first teamers out of contract? Not expecting all 3 to be signed up so will DM say they're not signing a new deal before the season is over, or just wait till after the scottish cup and annouce they've signed a PCA like Pawlett did?

It also says Kenny Mclean is 'unlikely to sign a contract extention' and is 'keen to try his luck in England' as if these things are facts. They don't have a fuckin clue what his plans are, ignore them. Owned by the same people that own the Daily Retard.

If we can get a good offer for Kenny Mclean then I'd sell him this summer. The fee we'd receive would be more beneficial to our squad than holding on to him for one more year. If Mclean, Mcginn, Jack and Taylor join Alexander, Pawlett and Smith in leaving us this summer than I'd be expecting some good replacements. As that is a number of key players leaving resulting in a large proportion of wages being made available.

More a topic for the transfer rumour thread but I'll digress anyway. I'd be pleased to see us recruit both Lindsay and Devlin in defence. Stevie May to give Rooney some competition (although he played on the wing for St Johnstone). Stevie Mallan looks a future prospect and would appear to be a good addition to the squad. Tansey should turn out a decent enough player. Not too keen on the reports I've read on here regarding Rogers but he can't be judged on that and he may very well end up being Alexander's replacement. I'm hoping for a Greg Stewart calibre of signing but I'm fully aware that will not happen. Would have liked to have seen Brian Easton join us however.... I truly hope we don't sign Sam Nicholson from Hearts - he's not good enough. Maybe we will get Christie back on loan next year. Let's see. The Hibs defender McGregor is out of contract at the end of the season along with Boyle (Aberdeen supporter).... maybe an option?

In truth, there really aren't many players in the SPL/ Scottish Championship that would improve our side.

If we can get a good offer for Kenny Mclean then I'd sell him this summer. The fee we'd receive would be more beneficial to our squad than holding on to him for one more year. If Mclean, Mcginn, Jack and Taylor join Alexander, Pawlett and Smith in leaving us this summer than I'd be expecting some good replacements. As that is a number of key players leaving resulting in a large proportion of wages being made available.

More a topic for the transfer rumour thread but I'll digress anyway. I'd be pleased to see us recruit both Lindsay and Devlin in defence. Stevie May to give Rooney some competition (although he played on the wing for St Johnstone). Stevie Mallan looks a future prospect and would appear to be a good addition to the squad. Tansey should turn out a decent enough player. Not too keen on the reports I've read on here regarding Rogers but he can't be judged on that and he may very well end up being Alexander's replacement. I'm hoping for a Greg Stewart calibre of signing but I'm fully aware that will not happen. Would have liked to have seen Brian Easton join us however.... I truly hope we don't sign Sam Nicholson from Hearts - he's not good enough. Maybe we will get Christie back on loan next year. Let's see. The Hibs defender McGregor is out of contract at the end of the season along with Boyle (Aberdeen supporter).... maybe an option?

In truth, there really aren't many players in the SPL/ Scottish Championship that would improve our side.

Its all very well having significant budget available if several first team or key players leave, but you make replacing them sound like a peice of piss, it's not.

McInnes doesn't pop down to his local teach with the cash and just pick up what's needed. It takes time, effort, networking, scouting, building relationships and all sorts of work to get good players to choose us over other clubs.

Were not Man United, we don't have scouting networks and contacts all over Europe or even all over the UK.

Past history has shown we sign about one really decent player per window and a couple of squad or wildcard choices.

The sort of exodus you've described might take 18 months to replace and also result in several failed signings to then be moved on.

Its all very well having significant budget available if several first team or key players leave.

But you make replacing them sound like a peice of piss, it's not.

McInnes doesn't pop down to his local teach with the cash and just pick up what's needed. It takes time, effort, networking, scouting, building relationships and all sorts of work to get good players to choose us over other clubs.

Were not Man United, we don't have scouting networks and contacts all over Europe or even all over the UK.

Past history has shown we sign about one really decent player per window and a couple of squad or wildcard choices.

The sort of exodus you've described might take 18 months to replace and also result in several failed signings to then be moved on.

Agree with both of you on this. Do think that DM will know what Taylor/jack/McGinn will do so surely will have a plan in place to replace each of them. Wouldn't mind seeing McLean go for a decent bit of cash if he doesn't sign a new deal. As was said replacing 4/5 first team players wont be easy, we could look to guys like Scott Wright to step up and become a first teamer. As V said our scouting network isnt the greatest, do think we'll sign a few first teamers but look at Hearts for an example of what chucking together loads of players do, half their squad was signed in January (granted some of that was due to injury)

Realistically I see Smith, McGinn, Taylor, Alexander and Shankland (and whatever other u20's have their deal up this summer) leaving. That frees up a decent amount of wage and means we realistically need a striker (may, Boyce or Moult will do for me) a centre mid and a centre half all to come in a be first team starters. Not sure who exactly those will be but I'd imagine loan signings (I'd take christie for a seaosn if possible) and some free's (think McIness said he wanted to get 2 more done before the season was over). Hoping we get all our signings done ASAP to allow the squad to gel together and for the new guys to adapt to our play-style etc

Might be wrong here but reckon we have Lewis, Logan, Reynolds, Hayes, McGinn, Rooney and Considine all having their 30th birthdays this year. Whilst 30 is not exactly over the hill, to have so many of them simultaneously at that age is not good, which will add to McInnes dilema this year, as his squad gets broken up anyway, with McGinn, Jack, Taylor and PP all offski.

Interesting summer ahead. Might also see bids for Hayes, McLean and Lewis, which we might find difficult to turn down.

McInnes gambled last summer by bringing in so called squad players, like O'Connor, Burns, Stockley and Storie, neither of which were able to force their way into the first team on a regular basis. Any time they did, which was during November-ish, it coincided with a rough spell of form. Since the Mwell away game right before Christmas, we went back to the tried and tested line up and been there ever since, with those 11 now showing signs of wear and tear due to over reliance.

So, this summer, I hope McInnes signs only players who can be considered "first 11" players. They won't always get a game every week but could be if required, and from next season, the manager needs to work out some sort of squad rotation system and not have the same players assuming they get the jersey every week (Rooney, for example) and also end up hitting the brick wall come the split.

That obviously means we go with a smaller squad, augmented by the young players that seem to be finally coming through our academy; Wright, Ross, Rogers, Harvie, McLennan etc etc

Got to give the kids a chance early doors in the pre season... If they're not ready punt them on loan early and free up the wages... I hope they are though, we really could do with a few talents that we could get a few quid from over the next few years...

Think there's a few in our u18's that could go on to be big stars of the future. Out of the u20's I'd say McLennan, Antonniazzi Ross, Wright, Anderson, Harvie is our best bets to make it into the first team and potentially move on for some big bucks. Would like to see Scott Wright given a run out in the side. Can't be any less consistent than McGinn and the few times I've seen him he does look a real talent!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Some folk are so bitter. Eoin Jess left for Coventry over 20 years ago, now what relevance does that have in 2017? There is basically no loyalty left in football nowadays.

Overall Jack has been a decent player for us. Limited perhaps and no captain but if he leaves he will do so with my best wishes.

Does anyone else think he might have a year abroad before a move to Sevco beckons or am I just being cynical?

So what you're suggesting is that we replace 80% of our midfield- including one with over a year left who is just coming into the form of his career so far with a handful of players we have no realistic chance of signing?

Fucking moron

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think Kenny will sign an extension, the improvement he has made since he joined us is there for all to see. This season will be another 2nd place finish and two cup finals, thats not bad going. Dont forget he has been capped while with us.

There is plenty time for him to try England if thats what he wants.

There will not be sweeping changes, Tansey will replace Jack and May could possibly replace McGinn. In the first 11 that might just leave us needing a CH although there is a chance Lewis might leave. Obviously we will need bodies to fill out the squad.

Its all very well having significant budget available if several first team or key players leave, but you make replacing them sound like a peice of piss, it's not.

So what you're suggesting is that we replace 80% of our midfield- including one with over a year left who is just coming into the form of his career so far with a handful of players we have no realistic chance of signing?

Fucking moron

I'll refer back to my original post "I'd be expecting some good replacements". i believe this was the comment that your entire post was built around. Good replacements is not the same as saying better or equally as good but simply put good. It depends on the availability of good players. By no means did I imply it would be an easy task in replacing these players. Over the past several transfer windows I've clearly acknowledged this (I'm one of only a few on this forum) and have commented regularly on the struggle to source players that could benefit our current side. DM has a potentially challenging transfer window ahead. Thats why I'm keen for the remaining players who are out of contract to stay as I don't believe we can replace the likes of McGinn, Jack or even Taylor. I even commented in my last post that there are very few if any outside of the Celtic side that would improve or add to our squad. What I will say is that if they do leave DM will have spent time looking at potential signings that may be able to replace them. We also will have a significant wage budget at our disposal so I imagine we'd be competitive for any good player that do become available within the transfer market. We have done very well under our current scouting system - Scotland and lower leagues of England. I don't expect that to chance.

@@Dandyesque - firstly who is unrealistic? Take the time to look at the transfer rumour thread and you will see that everyone I suggested is only the same players that are being spouted as potential options. Secondly, my thoughts are that with McLean supposedly keen to leave at the end of his contract (1 year remaining) and the fact as you said he's been playing very well (may I add only in the past 5 months during his time with us) would give us a greater fee in the summer rather than lose him for nothing the following year. With us potentially losing so many key players in the summer that transfer fee may help replace those key players with some good replacements.

The trouble with selling or losing those players is replacing them. Dundee Utd are a prime example of what not to do when selling players. they sold their best, pocketed decent cash and then didnt replace them, ultimately leading to their relegation. Mr Milne will be very reluctant to just hand over cash to DM to spend on replacements and I dont have the confidence that Derek could replace those players with similar or better quality. Some his signings havent been brilliant over the years and my fear would be replacing said players with utter drivel.

That said, football these days is about buying and selling and no player has an affiliation with the club they play for anymore. It all comes down to whether we believe that both club and manager have the ability to replace those players with adequate quality. Replacing any of our first team players with signings like Monakana, Tate, Zola's etc then we will struggle.