Sh*te Players

We've had poor players for a while but as much as anything when you put players who are less able out of their comfort zone they get much worse. We don't have any width on the left, and little on the right. The lack of width and flair means we can't really get anywhere. Yes, we have some poorer players but the team balance is too often wrong as much as some players may be incapable. It is very hard to look past the manager (and assistant) when looking at the balance of the team on the park and the players selected and purchased.

Agree, however he should certainly be taking steps to avoid a situation where we have to replace 8/9 players every summer without fail - avoid a situation where a massive balancing act is needed and you reduce the chances of ending up with an unbalanced squad.

Even if we'd finished 3rd this season, we'd likely have lost most of the players who'd got us there.

Also feel a proper scouting network would be of benefit rather than have to rely on the contacts of whoever happens to be in charge.

And that's even before we get to the carry on about contract negotiations with existing players and waiting till summer on folk deciding.

Not that it excuses the manager, however the whole operation as to how we go about these things needs a huge overhaul.

Absolutely. When you hear time and time again Brown saying he just identifies a player and then Duncan Fraser does everything else or tells him who he wants to keep then leaves it to Fraser to do the rest, you realise just how shambolic an operation AFC run. Just last week Brown saying he has said he wants to keep Arnason but had absolutely no idea if any talks had taken place as he isn't involved!! Crazy.

Absolutely. When you hear time and time again Brown saying he just identifies a player and then Duncan Fraser does everything else or tells him who he wants to keep then leaves it to Fraser to do the rest, you realise just how shambolic an operation AFC run. Just last week Brown saying he has said he wants to keep Arnason but had absolutely no idea if any talks had taken place as he isn't involved!! Crazy.

Yip,

How hard would it be for the chairman, DOF, X, Y or Y board member in the know, to have a bi weekly chat either face to face, or by phone to discuss such things, even an internal email.

Saying that, Harry Redknapp was interviewed not so long ago, and he had no idea about current contract talks with his players as Daniel Levy deals with all that.

Yip,

How hard would it be for the chairman, DOF, X, Y or Y board member in the know, to have a bi weekly chat either face to face, or by phone to discuss such things, even an internal email.

Saying that, Harry Redknapp was interviewed not so long ago, and he had no idea about current contract talks with his players as Daniel Levy deals with all that.

Think there is a really good reason for that though!! :thumbup1::hysterical:

Think there is a really good reason for that though!! :thumbup1::hysterical:

Touche...

After I wrote it I was expecting a response like that, but the principal is the same, it is not just our club where there is lack of communication between board members and managers, although there is really no excuse.

I hope Brown takes action in january. Being 11th in the league at this stage is not acceptable. I understand that it takes more than 1 season to fix a club in our situation and i still have faith in Brown but e must take the necessary action. Not sure we'll make top 6 this season anymore.

Pars away is a crunch game :unsure:

Crazy decision. If willie sanctioned that deal he should be sacked for it. Clark is a fud.The thing that annoys me is that these Shite players always seem to get new deals. :dontknow:

That has been the case over the last few years. Pretty much since Calderwood starting handing deals out to some really poor squad players. McGhee continued it.

Brown to his credit didn't renew Diamond or Young. :thumbup1:

I'm hoping he takes the same approach with Mackie and Magennis and just allows the contracts to expire and the players slip out the door.

Agree, however he should certainly be taking steps to avoid a situation where we have to replace 8/9 players every summer without fail - avoid a situation where a massive balancing act is needed and you reduce the chances of ending up with an unbalanced squad.Even if we'd finished 3rd this season, we'd likely have lost most of the players who'd got us there. Also feel a proper scouting network would be of benefit rather than have to rely on the contacts of whoever happens to be in charge.And that's even before we get to the carry on about contract negotiations with existing players and waiting till summer on folk deciding.Not that it excuses the manager, however the whole operation as to how we go about these things needs a huge overhaul.

A perennial problem for us and one I really can't understand - speaks of great incompetence within all the senior management/directors at the club I think.

Totally agree. Some clubs seem to have no problem getting down to negotiations at the right time and signing up their best players long before they approach the last 6 months.

I hope Brown takes action in january. Being 11th in the league at this stage is not acceptable. I understand that it takes more than 1 season to fix a club in our situation and i still have faith in Brown but e must take the necessary action. Not sure we'll make top 6 this season anymore.

Pars away is a crunch game :unsure:

Its really up to the board how much action Brown will be able to take. Just like last season we will probably take in a couple of versatile full backs/wingers to keep us up.

Clear the dross in the summer, Mackie,Maggennis, Mcardle, Pawlett (loan to see if he can stay fit) Restart again!

The main point of this thread - We are 11th because we have shite players - AGREED.

For a long time, we believed it was a lack of effort that drained the wins from our club, via wage-sapping, lazy players. But now it is becoming clear that the current quality of player we have for our best, starting XI is woeful for a club of our stature.

I'm sitting looking at the 2007/2008 squad sitting on some steps, posing for a photo in Greece before Panathanikos, in the Copenhagen matchday poster, which is blu-tacked to my bedroom ceiling above my bed along with other Dons memorabilia. And the players in this photo are by far of a greater standard than what we have today. The likes of Nicholson, Hart, Severin, Touzani, de Visscher - taking all preferences and individual criticisms aside - were part of a better quality group of players.

Having accepted this fact that 11th is indeed our deserved position compared to player quality, the question "Can we stay up?" arises.

We will... this season at least.

What worries me is the amount of players out of contract next season, players who are in the top XI, but yet, are shite. So I guess that means we A) Have to bring players to replace who we lose if they don't re-sign. B) Improve the quality by doing so.

Err. By the looks of things...it's nowhere near financially viable to do this. So what happens then? Keep fighting with a LESS number of shite players and bulk up the numbers with youth players? Bring in more players of a poor quality? - which I think is all our budget would allow - cus I certainly don't think we have the money to improve the squad.

Next season is the worry. There will no surge back to European spot chasing... not even top 6. All that we will get next season is another grind to stay just better than crap enough to be relegated...

... A grind we are going to struggle with more next season than this, I'm sure.

I feel sorry for our players today after this conclusion. The calls of not-working-hard-enough and no-effort-wage-sappers have reached their ears and they have responded, but they're still pish, and we still lose.

Put me in a Dons top, i'll play for free, put me in the first team, and I would give truly everything to see my team succeed. Alas, I would still be crap - why? Cus I'm a shite player, effort aside.

:hysterical:

I imagine it's too much to ask to ask you to explain that remark?

4th highest budget for what?

Not really sure if this is what you meant, BUT my observation is that talk of comparing budgets is fairly pointless - its not specific enough to draw anything meaningful.

Is this specifically first team wages or does it include youth and development investment for example.

Sure you can draw a broad conclusion by making a comparison but until it is broken right down its fairly meaningless.

Besides who needs to check the budget to realise we are underperforming and have been for years? Surely this is clear enough without the debate on 4th biggest, 5th biggest budget etc etc

I think we should get rid of foster, he speaks so much shit and is a terrible captain!!!!!!!!!

But i dont mind clark he seems to try quite hard.

HOWEVER mackie, mcardle and magennis are terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh FFS. :suicide: Clark is a pussy and a hide and seek champion, he can't shoot, he can't pass but it's ok cause he tries hard. :blahblah1:

I can't beleive he got a 3 year deal. :banghead:

I think we should get rid of foster, he speaks so much shit and is a terrible captain!!!!!!!!!

But i dont mind clark he seems to try quite hard.

HOWEVER mackie, mcardle and magennis are terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foster as captain is a non starter, but as a player he is one of our more consistent performers this season.

Clark :deadhorse:

Foster as captain is a non starter, but as a player he is one of our more consistent performers this season.

Clark :deadhorse:

I dont know what it is about foster i think he would play better if he wasnt captain. He seems to feels like he needs to stick his nose into everything and he played terrible on saturday.

But above all of this. Its brown that took some of these players in and its his fault for signing them.

Not really sure if this is what you meant, BUT my observation is that talk of comparing budgets is fairly pointless - its not specific enough to draw anything meaningful.

Is this specifically first team wages or does it include youth and development investment for example.

And V wins the coconut.

Here's a slant that some may not have considered.

Milne is a budget builder, if he can skimp on Chipboard/Compressed Cardboard flooring instead of proper pine floorboards he will..... the same goes for all the materials he uses in constructing his kit houses.

He's got away with this for years and people keep buying from him....This is his business plan...build them cheap and flog them high.

It should come as no surprise to anyone that he is using this business plan for running the Club...why pay for quality when the gullible idiots of Aberdeen will put up with Mackie and McArdle.

As long as we "put up with shit...this cu*t aint going to suddenly start spending more than he needs to"....Why should he...He claims to be an AFC fan...don't kid yourselves this cu*t is out to get max out of AFC with min input from himself.....He is no more a Football man than he is a Quality Builder

Sorry mate but that is just crazy talk, his company use the same material as most other builders, no one uses pine floorboards now, he builds kits to the same standard as other builders, in fact he has moved on to a new version of kits "SIPS" to comply with new building regulations, the rest will have to catch up. All builders build as cheap as possible. Some have went back to traditional build because it is now cheaper.

I really doubt he makes that many decisions on the build quality of his houses now.

I do agree something is very wrong at AFC, I am not 100% sure it is all down to him, but he needs to step aside and see if someone else can do a better job.