New Stadium Approved

Taking your paragraphs one at a time..

First one I can't agree with. We won't pay anyone to take it off us and demolition costs or whatever will have been taken into consideration in any valuation as a site for development. Main factor is really going to be the buoyancy in housing market and land values. With Brexit on the way a lot could change there so realistically there you'd think there is a risk of value dropping (but no reason to say it'd be worthless).

Second para, I think your probably right.

Third, well as has been discussed before that's a very big IF. I say that mainly because it's not just a case of comparing the simple construction cost of development versus redevelopment. There's lost revenue during the work. There's the loss of potential new revenue sources we only get in a new stadium. Less to gain from selling naming rights, sponsorships and maybe harder to attract outside investment (its less exciting for investors even if it's better for fans). So it's a huge topic and would be interesting if properly discussed. Last thought is that it's tempting to just assume there must be a way to redevelop because as fans we don't really want to change location but that desire can also cloud our judgement.

In regards to my first paragraph, I was only jesting. Sarcasm often doesn't work online. Of course I don't believe we will end up paying someone, my point was we won't get much at all for the land.

Weren't we famously told that nothing could be built on the land because of the old gas works or some nonsense. As if by magic, wads of flats appear :laughing: - Still Milnes finest moment that's never fully been explained.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In regards to my first paragraph, I was only jesting. Sarcasm often doesn't work online. Of course I don't believe we will end up paying someone, my point was we won't get much at all for the land.

Weren't we famously told that nothing could be built on the land because of the old gas works or some nonsense. As if by magic, wads of flats appear :laughing: - Still Milnes finest moment that's never fully been explained.

Why did we try and buy that land if nothing could be built on it?

I don't think Pittodrie will sell anything close to £15m. The overhead of the demolition costs alone will probably end up with us paying someone to take it on.

Remember though, it's not just the stadium that needs to cost £40m, its the whole site that needs to be £40m. The stadium alone will cost more than that.

Everyone can see we will need to raise a lot of money for this site. What's wrong with raising extra to redevelop? Its taken 2 years but the club have finally admitted the redevelopment IS possible. Costly, yes but just as costly as a the Farm of Terabithia.

For £15.3m Pittodrie would be £1.17m an acre. They give the average for residential land as £325k an acre and Loirston £400k an acre.

I've never understood how they rule out anything else as unaffordable. The Kingsford stadium would cost £40m wherever it was built because of what type of stadium it is. The 3 sides of Maribor's stadium which I think is ace cost £9m. The club have been selling the same dream of what Loirston/Kingsford has for so long it seems to be etched in everyone's minds it's the only way to do it. I doubt attendances would be less if not higher if Aberdeen built the most basic functioning new and clean £20m stadium at or near Pittodrie, compared to a £40m stadium at Kingsford.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mate that's far too much time spent on him

He said the same shite pages ago, got owned and trying to start it again

Ignore him

No, that's how you should respond on a message board - with a well though out, intelligent post, handing out a proper telt.

You should try it sometime.

• Upvote 1

Well the location didn't help for a start.

They needed to get into a shopping center not a street on the side of a shopping center which was only busy if people were walking down to the bus/train station back then.

Get a unit on Bon-Accord/St Nicholas or even in Trinity then they'd stand a better chance.

The rental rates would have to be right obviously.

Also back then, Aberdeen replica kits were not commonly seen worn by loads of kids. Now you can't help be see kits been worn everywhere.

The fact that loads of kids and adults can now be seen regularly wearing a replica top speaks volumes in the improvements made by AFC in merchandising, but they can still do better and getting an outlet in a mall would be a step in a right direction.

It was literally at the entrance to the trinity centre. Considering it was there before the days of the bon accord centre it was actually in a prime spot.

It closed because the shop at the stadium did more trade. Doesn't matter where in Aberdeen it is, the money it makes Monday to Friday won't be worth it and the busier ship will still be at the stadium.

And other clubs who redevelop their existing stadiums do it differently?

White with no sugar please.

Because they did it over 20 years ago when the costs and building regulations were considerably different.

If you're against Kingsford then push the council to find alternative land. It isn't getting built at Pittodrie, that should be obvious to everyone by now.

• Downvote 1

Because they did it over 20 years ago when the costs and building regulations were considerably different.

If you're against Kingsford then push the council to find alternative land. It isn't getting built at Pittodrie, that should be obvious to everyone by now.

Hearts and Hibs redeveloped their stadiums within the last couple of years m8

Sarcasm? Fucks that?

Some of the messages from the club over the years have been pretty out there. We just have to cut through the nonsense unfortunately.

If bids for the pittodrie site aren't very good, what chance Milne will use his business to buy it at a much more generous rate?

It was literally at the entrance to the trinity centre. Considering it was there before the days of the bon accord centre it was actually in a prime spot.

It closed because the shop at the stadium did more trade. Doesn't matter where in Aberdeen it is, the money it makes Monday to Friday won't be worth it and the busier ship will still be at the stadium.

Side entrance, which has a lesser footfall than the main entrance on union street.

I agree about your other point. I honestly don't think it would be finacially viable to have 2 club shops. One at the ground and one in town. But i do think the one at the ground will suffer on a monday to friday due to the location of Kingsford.

The current stadium one does alright monday to friday i think.

Any weegies able to advise on how thriving the bigot brothers club shops are in Glasgow city center?

Granted there is a larger population and fan base for each club.

Hearts and Hibs redeveloped their stadiums within the last couple of years m8

Exactly and plenty of other clubs do it too. It's not a new thing, clubs have been redeveloping existing stadiums for over 100 years. Yes, there will be a reduced attendance while parts of the ground are being redeveloped but it can be done one stand at a time in a phased and sustainable manner at a pace we can afford. Would we even need to rebuild the Richard Donald Stand? I'd imagine the Main Stand and Merkland Road Stand would be the priorities?

• Downvote 1

Exactly and plenty of other clubs do it too. It's not a new thing, clubs have been redeveloping existing stadiums for over 100 years. Yes, there will be a reduced attendance while parts of the ground are being redeveloped but it can be done one stand at a time in a phased and sustainable manner at a pace we can afford. Would we even need to rebuild the Richard Donald Stand? I'd imagine the Main Stand and Merkland Road Stand would be the priorities?

It would be far more expensive to do. Far more. It's a lot cheaper to sell the land, build from scratch elsewhere, and deal with a mortgage than build one stand at over 20 years.

That, and the Pittodrie footprint isn't big enough for a new 20,000 capacity stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't think Pittodrie will sell anything close to £15m. The overhead of the demolition costs alone will probably end up with us paying someone to take it on.

Remember though, it's not just the stadium that needs to cost £40m, its the whole site that needs to be £40m. The stadium alone will cost more than that.

Everyone can see we will need to raise a lot of money for this site. What's wrong with raising extra to redevelop? Its taken 2 years but the club have finally admitted the redevelopment IS possible. Costly, yes but just as costly as a the Farm of Terabithia.

Club seem to have already given up on funding the museum.

Does the Club shop have to be at the new stadium. I can understand the need for training ground and stadium together but the club shop better served in city centre in my opinion. I was going to buy the kids the new home strip before holidays but getting to Pittodrie was a pain in the ass.

I'd have bought three full kits if it had been city centre.

I say that mainly because it's not just a case of comparing the simple construction cost of development versus redevelopment. There's lost revenue during the work. There's the loss of potential new revenue sources we only get in a new stadium. Less to gain from selling naming rights, sponsorships and maybe harder to attract outside investment (its less exciting for investors even if it's better for fans). So it's a huge topic and would be interesting if properly discussed. Last thought is that it's tempting to just assume there must be a way to redevelop because as fans we don't really want to change location but that desire can also cloud our judgement.

That's been taboo but you're correct, regardless what some say it is better for most.

The amount of lies that have been told (from both sides) has been remarkable.

For £15.3m Pittodrie would be £1.17m an acre. They give the average for residential land as £325k an acre and Loirston £400k an acre.

I've never understood how they rule out anything else as unaffordable. The Kingsford stadium would cost £40m wherever it was built because of what type of stadium it is. The 3 sides of Maribor's stadium which I think is ace cost £9m. The club have been selling the same dream of what Loirston/Kingsford has for so long it seems to be etched in everyone's minds it's the only way to do it. I doubt attendances would be less if not higher if Aberdeen built the most basic functioning new and clean £20m stadium at or near Pittodrie, compared to a £40m stadium at Kingsford.

The 15mil figure was branded about prior to the arse falling out the housing market and was likely miles too high even then.

The bit in bold is spot on.

Correct!

All in all............ :cheers:

To use a cliche, but I think the economic climate will dictate how quickly we can deliver the new stadium. I think it will happen but not in the timescale they are predicting right now.

Training facilities should be fairly straightforward though and are the most important thing. If we need to wait a little longer for a stadium then so be it, IMO.

To use a cliche, but I think the economic climate will dictate how quickly we can deliver the new stadium. I think it will happen but not in the timescale they are predicting right now.

Training facilities should be fairly straightforward though and are the most important thing. If we need to wait a little longer for a stadium then so be it, IMO.

Forget the stadium at the moment imo. The training facilities are No1 priority.

Funding is still 4mil(ish) short for these at the moment but they need to be spot on so why not push the projected cost from 10mil to say 11mil ?

I don't agree with the mind set of we can build indoor pitch, injury physio hydrotherapy pool etc later.

Lets get the funding in place (which is doable) and finally get a proper state of the art training facility that requires little or nothing more for years to come.

Aye but the South Stand is sinking - it's not.

The pitch needs to be turned around - we don't.

The stadium can't hold European games, we will have to play in Dundee - we'll be fine tnx.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Aye but the South Stand is sinking stinking - it's not.​ it is

The pitch needs to be turned around - we don't. needed turned upside down last season.

The stadium can't hold European games, we will have to play in Dundee - we'll be fine tnx. This bit needs no correcting

Fixed

• Downvote 1