What did you study/train as and what do you do now?

Betty Swallicks

The reason I ask is I trained as a millwright, worked offshore and now co-own a wee company fitting boilers/fix heating etc. All similar jobs over 35 years.

We are currently looking to recruit another engineer and I've just opened an application/CV from someone who (I kid you not) studied sociology (for a year), worked for the social (2 years), worked in a call centre (6months) and is now doing support work.  :dontknow: No mention on how he would be remotely suitable for the job advertised.

I'm not sure if its a piss take, an error, if the boys a neep or if you can potentially get any job you fancy these days.

Anyhoo...anyone train as a brain surgeon and is now a scaffie or vice versa or similar?

Funcy getting back on the tools?

Didni think so.

I remember the day i decided to pack it in.

Was crawling about under a floor in an old house on North Deeside Road and squeezing through gaps in the foundations and having rocks jab into me etc and just thought fuck this.

Did 6-7 years offshore before going into the office.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll politely decline

I had to stand in and carry out an interview a few years back that had wouldn’t be remotely believable if it was David Brent.

Nigerian Guy staying in London. CV complete fiction, literally had made up companies in Aberdeen. Pointed this out to the HR lassie and even went to the relative hassle of going on Companies House to illustrate the point that Aberdeen is nae a big place and he is speaking complete pish.

Needless to say we had to give him a chance and paid to fly him up from London. Three of us on the panel, had to mark applicants out of 10, achieved 2/30. Neither came from me. Stupid HR fucks.

Originally went to uni (RGU Schoolhill) where I spent 2 years getting stoned and drinking in Triple Kirks. Dropped out after i had an exam resit that clashed with a lads holiday to Magaluf. After being told i either cancelled my holiday or left uni, I did the right thing and went to Magaluf. 

Then started an ECITB oil and gas apprenticeship as an instrument tech. Did the 18 months of full time college then got placed with a metering/flow measurement company at the end of it. Did my final 2 years on site, as an apprentice working between St Fergus, the North Alwyn and Captain (WPP and FPSO) before taking core crew job on the Elgin and North Alwyn for the next 4 years. 

Moved into the office with a different company as engineer (still in metering/measurement) almost 7 years ago and still doing it now - although have moved back to the company i was an apprentice and tech with, based in clients office. 

Probably do this until i retire to be honest - moneys good, shortage of people who do it so I'll never struggle for work and quite enjoy it on the whole. 

I had to stand in and carry out an interview a few years back that had wouldn’t be remotely believable if it was David Brent.

Nigerian Guy staying in London. CV complete fiction, literally had made up companies in Aberdeen. Pointed this out to the HR lassie and even went to the relative hassle of going on Companies House to illustrate the point that Aberdeen is nae a big place and he is speaking complete pish.

Needless to say we had to give him a chance and paid to fly him up from London. Three of us on the panel, had to mark applicants out of 10, achieved 2/30. Neither came from me. Stupid HR fucks.

To be fair at least he tried to look like he might be qualified unlike my bloke.

The ridiculous thing is it was probably a not wanting to be racist thing that we interviewed him in the first place

Can’t remember the exact job but you’re looking for someone to fit into a team. How the fuck was some Nigerian boy going to get on in a warehouse or whatever with the general conversation being how pish we were at the weekend or how much Sally in accounts would get it.

The reason I ask is I trained as a millwright, worked offshore and now co-own a wee company fitting boilers/fix heating etc. All similar jobs over 35 years.

We are currently looking to recruit another engineer and I've just opened an application/CV from someone who (I kid you not) studied sociology (for a year), worked for the social (2 years), worked in a call centre (6months) and is now doing support work.  :dontknow: No mention on how he would be remotely suitable for the job advertised.

I'm not sure if its a piss take, an error, if the boys a neep or if you can potentially get any job you fancy these days.

Anyhoo...anyone train as a brain surgeon and is now a scaffie or vice versa or similar?

So is Millertime going to get the job?