Aberdeen V St Johnstone (1 - 0)

I don't think anyone was excellent but I don't think he was shite either. Other than Taylor I find it hard to single anyone out as good or bad in that game. St Johnstone did what they always do, they frustrated the fuck out of us and stifled the game. We need to stop ourselves being sucked into their anti-football pish.

Apart from when they humped us 5-1 and 3-0 last season!!

Just not sure what he's contributing to the team really. He's fast, and er, that's about it.

On a side note - singing section. Whata bunch of morons. 0-0 half way through the first half of a cup QF and they're singing "Bring on the rangers". Get fucked.

On Burns, he is extremely fast, but to often I'm not seeing an end product often enough.

On the bit in bold. A more complete bunch of zoomers I'll never meet.

Cringeworthy stuff from them.

Fair enough. Probably am being too harsh on him. I think he looks a player. Just want to see him do more for us.

He'd be better suited down the right wing, working with Logan. We've been a bit open down that wing with Hayes being out meaning Logan doesn't get forward as much.

To me he was played out of position last night.

Play him on the wing and Maddison more central.

At one point Stockley seemed to be playing out on the fucking wing!!

McInnes saying on RedTV that he thought McGinn was excellent... does anyone agree with him?

No.

Thought he was quiet.

But I also think he doesn't look fit and perhaps that's hindering him somewhat.

McInnes is clearly railing against his critics with some of his comments and his reaction at full time last night.

He'd do well to remember that the fans who have to watch his brand of football will be here long after him.

Fair point.

Probably already rumblings of discontent from some sections.

McInnes really needs to do something about the tempo Aberdeen play at. Two or three times last night we took the sting out of any attack by passing the ball backwards allowing StJ's to regroup and get everyone behind the ball. He also decided to replace Burns when the game opened up a bit and he finally had the chance to turn and run at their full back on a few occasions. Its hard to understand his thinking at times.

Maddison is quality, beat his man so easily with one movement everytime he received the ball last night but Stockley's not the right man to then try and put through.

Obviously McInnes is wanting them to play it out from the back but the less time Considine and Taylor are on the ball the better.

Huns are there for the taking, just can't see us giving them a pumping the way we set out to play.

Agreed

Happy to admit it when I'm wrong. I always used to blame Jack for this ponderance going forwards but that's clearly not the case, one can only assume that it comes from the touchline.

I think this is the case.

Not much sweeter than a last minute winner, pity about the rest of the game though!

First 20mins I thought we looked good, McGinn especially but from then on it all went downhill. So many passes back to Lewis for him to then hoof it up the pitch.

I think people are being a bit harsh on Stockley, he wins quite a lot but unfortunately there was never anyone near him to knock it on to. During the warm up his finishing was immense...lets hope we see that in a game sometime.

What was with the large group of St J toddler fans with name tags around there necks? To be fair they made far more noise than our babies in the Merkland.

No he doesn't.

Anderson and the other Centre Half had him in their back pocket all night.

The warm up counts for fuck all.

I just don't understand the manager's tactics. One up front does not work.

I'd move Shinnie to left back, drop Taylor and put Considine into the middle with O'Connor.

Also what the fuck is this Pawlett on before Storey?

Yep. However, taking Shinnie out of the midfield takes every bit of bite we do have away. I thought he was our best player last night.

He could of course have signed a defensive midfielder or give Storie a chance. Neither of which seem likely to happen.

I just don't understand the manager's tactics. One up front does not work.

I'd move Shinnie to left back, drop Taylor and put Considine into the middle with O'Connor.

Also what the fuck is this Pawlett on before Storey?

To be fair to Pawlett, he has done pretty well when he has played this season. Maybe he is doing more in training or has a better attitude, we will never know what goes on behind the scenes. Pawlett offers lightening pace into dangerous areas and anyone who is slow struggles against him.

I agree though, drop Taylor, move Considine and play Shinnie in his best position. Also loved watching him tear into Logan last night, proper captain style...

Feel Burns is suffering from an old problem at Pittodrie whereby McGinns name goes down at outside right first and then Derek tries to fit in the other pieces around that. Thankfully last season the other pieces included Hayes on the left crossing to Roondawg in the middle so the misfit was hidden. We've thankfully added another piece centrally in Maddison. The other piece that is ill matched just now is Logan. Just don't feel we're getting the best out of him just now either.

No offence to Mcginn, he is what he is. McInnes did say on the radio pre match before Hayes felt his hamstring (love to think this was gamesmanship before the huns but don't think so) that Mcginn was carrying a knee injury that stopped him training properly (that bit figured right enough) but then he left him on for the entire 90 minutes with Storey sitting playing sudoku.

To be fair to Pawlett, he has done pretty well when he has played this season. Maybe he is doing more in training or has a better attitude, we will never know what goes on behind the scenes. Pawlett offers lightening pace into dangerous areas and anyone who is slow struggles against him.

I agree though, drop Taylor, move Considine and play Shinnie in his best position. Also loved watching him tear into Logan last night, proper captain style...

Pawlett was our main threat and was marked out of the game after the Scottish Cup win at Celtic Park.

May have a new lease of life now we have more threats.

Haha no idea who sean Barry is.

In reality .. you've been outed as a thick violent ned by numerous people who know you in the real world.

I do feel sorry for you in a way , you have to have some sympathy for the poor and thick like you !

Cheers for your sympathy. Nae idea where you get the violent Ned from, maybe you could elaborate? As for thick I'd destroy you in a quiz on any topic other than meteorology.

Burns end product isn't good enough, there was a bit in the second half where he outpaced the full back, instead of continuing to run past the boy who had no chance of keeping up he played a shite pass to nobody.

The only thing that annoyed me was the last minute counter attack where McGinn was so selfish he didnt make a run to take the defender out the game, instead he wanted the ball played to him, stopping a clear 2 on one situation.

Why do we not play Shinnie at left back, Considine centre back and O'Connor in midfield cause that's surprisingly their actual positions :dontknow:

It would solve a lot of our issues. There is a lot of discussions about how McInnes doesn't know his best 11 and formation, but a good start would be to play players where they are at their strongest. O'Connor offers much stability at CB, but Considine is solid enough in that position, if a bit slow. Taylor is the weakest link at the back and we need to rectify that. Playing O'Connor in a defensive midfield role, with McLean in CM and Maddison further forward would be the strongest spine. Hayes and McGinn oot wide and Rooney up top. That would be my ideal setup.

Lewis

Logan Taylor Considine Shinnie

O'Connor

Hayes Mclean McGinn

Maddison

Rooney

Maddison was so far ahead of everyone else on the pitch it was unbelievable. I like Burns! He has attributes which with work could make him a top player. Pawlett done well off the bench.

Agreed. I have spoken to loads of folk who are aren't dandies and they think he is outstanding. Its probably a poor reflection on Scottish football, when a young Norwich reserve is better than almost everyone else in the league. He has a great footballing brain and like a chess player, he is two to three steps ahead of his first move. Wonderful to watch and we should enjoy it all while we can.

There was large gaps between def mid and attack last night.

If the midfield and attack could get closer to each other and play short sharp passes with the forward players moving and finding space the likes of Maddison could create havoc.

There well glimpses of this in the game where Shinnie, McLean and Maddison where within 10 yards of each but more often the ball would go back to a defender who would lump it forward rather than one of the midfielder taking it off, say Taylor, and starting a pattern of play which you hope would be rehearsed and practiced!