The Stand Up Comedy Thread

Keep an eye out for late night gigs on the free festival venues, sometimes bigger names appear there randomly to make some extra beer money. Also don’t spend ages trying to plan out seeing loads of stuff, just have a wonder and also pick up random free tickets during the day because they want shows filled for when they get reviewed early on in the Fringe

Only just saw this Chewie, cheers.  Have been going every year for a long time now, but never been given free tickets, must have a grumpy face.  I usually pick something I know I'll like and then a few randoms.

Quite fancy Henning Wehn again this year saw him a while ago and was very good, plus it's a 2 hour show so it feels a bit less like you are cattle being herded.

• Upvote 1

Only just saw this Chewie, cheers.  Have been going every year for a long time now, but never been given free tickets, must have a grumpy face.  I usually pick something I know I'll like and then a few randoms.

Quite fancy Henning Wehn again this year saw him a while ago and was very good, plus it's a 2 hour show so it feels a bit less like you are cattle being herded.

There is going to be some late shows at the Beehive Inn on the Grassmarket. Worth checking out those shows.

• Upvote 1

I always seem to get loads, admittedly I chat to loads of folk and always have a laugh so maybe it’s just me looking like a happy gype that gets them lol. Hemming Wehn is good, didn’t think he’d stretch out a two hour show though?

There is going to be some late shows at the Beehive Inn on the Grassmarket. Worth checking out those shows.

You doing those shows? I was trying to set up as a venue this year, but not sure if it’ll happen or not, need some acts

I always seem to get loads, admittedly I chat to loads of folk and always have a laugh so maybe it’s just me looking like a happy gype that gets them lol. Hemming Wehn is good, didn’t think he’d stretch out a two hour show though?

You doing those shows? I was trying to set up as a venue this year, but not sure if it’ll happen or not, need some acts

I might be.

It's down to the bookers.

I am also trying to get a new venue for the night I run in Edinburgh as the venue I ran it in cancelled all my bookings because they are converting their function room into a pool room despite there being a pool hall a minute down the road.

You looking to set up in California?

On the free tickets... i used to work in a cafe on George IV Bridge in my student days, so would get rafts of these free tickets.  One year i went to heap of shows and 99% of them were absolute pish.  Not just sub-standard - but utter pish.  At the the fringe you could easily waste a week of your life just watching rubbish.  One of the few down sides of the festival.

On the free tickets... i used to work in a cafe on George IV Bridge in my student days, so would get rafts of these free tickets.  One year i went to heap of shows and 99% of them were absolute pish.  Not just sub-standard - but utter pish.  At the the fringe you could easily waste a week of your life just watching rubbish.  One of the few down sides of the festival.

This is one of the things that bugs me. So many people putting on hour long shows when they have about 10 mins of good material. It lowers people's expectations.

I was chuffed last year though. We put on a showcase in Morningside and had a crowd of 60 who paid for the show when it would have been cheaper to get on a bus and see shows for free all night. However there is never any guarantee the show is gonna be any good so great that they trusted us to handpick acts.

I live in Edinburgh and I don't like performing during the fringe as the majority of people have just wondered in and their expectations have already been lowered by so much shite.