League Cup Or Europe?

Someone said this to me on Wednesday.

As much as I'd love to play Forfar away competively on a Saturday 3pm lets save it for the Scottish Cup.

Europe all the way especially since we are slated to be seeded in Qr1 and Qr2 this time as things stand

Stupid question. Europe all the way. We're not expecting to do well in Europe, therefore missing the banana skins in League cup early rounds is a better choice. Plus the potential of doing well and facing decent sides.

I'd rather we'd win silverware and that said we should be focussing on League Cup. If we get into Euro group stages our domestic form would suffer, we don't have the resources to compete at that level unfortunately.

• Downvote 2

I'd rather we'd win silverware and that said we should be focussing on League Cup. If we get into Euro group stages our domestic form would suffer, we don't have the resources to compete at that level unfortunately.

I'm not sure I understand

How does playing in Europe thereby getting a bye to the knock out rounds of the league Cup prevent us winning the league Cup?

• Upvote 3

I'd rather we didn't qualify for Europe, I'd much rather play in the early rounds of the league cup.

You?

Ridiculous. What’s your reasoning here? That you don’t want the club to be attracting better players, making more money from larger gates, generating interest early in the season for the team? You’d prefer local matches to go to as it’s cheaper than an away game in Europe? You want us to get less money from a lower final league placing? You want the chance of an embarrassing result against lower league sides as it’ll basically be pre-season?

I'm not sure I understand

How does playing in Europe thereby getting a bye to the knock out rounds of the league Cup prevent us winning the league Cup?

That's what I thought when I read it.

I think he must assume that having to play 3 or 4 more games in a tournament would give you more of a chance of winning it !?!

Very odd thread this. lol

I'd rather we didn't qualify for Europe, I'd much rather play in the early rounds of the league cup.

You?

What is wrong with certain folk on here. Why on earth would you rather not play in Europe? bizarre. Talk about a lack of ambition and been satisfied with mediocrity. I much prefer watching Aberdeen play European opposition than domestically in the league or cups - its considerably more exciting/ entertaining.

I disagree with you here, the only way we can get to the next level as a club (which would be a serious - as opposed to a token - title challenge, and/or Europa League group stages) is by playing against good opposition, at a higher level than the dross of SFL1/2.

Without wanting to bash McInnes generally, we have spurned great opportunities (Kazakhstan and especially Cyprus) to get closer to that group stage and I don't think it's beyond us as a club, with the right management team, right backing at board level AND the right attitude from the players, to be aspiring to that level.