Boxing Fans

Guest SS RED

It's good that there is some excitement in the heavyweight division after the boring Klitschko years. Fury, Wilder, Joshua and Ruiz with the likes of Whyte knocking on the door. A good mix of personalities amongst them which has brought a lot interest back from the general public.

The truth is though that they are not of the quality of the top 90's heavyweights. The likes of Lewis, Holyfield, Bowe and Tyson were on a different level in my opinion. Some people saying Wilder is supposedly the hardest punching heavyweight ever. In my opinion the likes of Lewis, Bowe and Tyson hit just as hard if not harder and all had far greater technique. Lewis and Bowe would have flattened Wilder. Holyfield at his best would have walked right through him. Tyson eats him up like pacman.

I watched Holyfield vs Tyson I again the other night. Watching how fast, tough and skilled they both were just rammed it home how much better they were than today's top heavies. It was a great era for the heavyweight division many of even the fringe contenders would likely be champions in today's era.

Good post, I would have to agree with this, yet it's interesting to note that there was a consensus at the time that Lewis's era was a poor one in heavyweight history, so that's a sad indictment on today's state of play for sure.

IMHO Joshua is, like David Haye before him, one of the most overrated heavyweights of the modern era.

Fight turned out pretty much how I expected once Ruiz stepped on the scales weighing the best part of 20 stone. It was Buster Douglas all over again.

Ruiz talks of a third fight but he doesn't deserve it after such a lame effort both in his training and in the fight. It was the biggest fight of his career and he left himself down badly.

Fight turned out pretty much how I expected once Ruiz stepped on the scales weighing the best part of 20 stone. It was Buster Douglas all over again.

Ruiz talks of a third fight but he doesn't deserve it after such a lame effort both in his training and in the fight. It was the biggest fight of his career and he left himself down badly.

I would have to agree with this. I also see parallels with Hasim Rahman's shock victory and eventual fade out. That said, Lennox Lewis would have wiped the floor with AJ and the current competition, except maybe Fury.

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason the wbc belt has become the same value as the other three combined. Probably down to mayweather carrying them and only them to the ring. Its about time the networks got together and have a round robin, like tyson did when he swept up all three. The wbo was merely a trinket back then, or was it even around. It was like hatton, till he beat tzyu, he was wbu champ. A nothing belt. Money to be made for everyone and apart from wilder, i think they should and would be up for it.

Ring belt is all that matters, that means number one and two in their rankings, which are usually pretty good, had a scrap and the winner got it. That's how josh taylor is now on a p4p top ten, or at least there or there abouts. Again that wbc belt is needed to seal the deal, and they are as crooked as they come. That chavez jr and martinez debacle is just embarrassing.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/5/2020 at 6:15 PM, Don Fonte said:

Povetkin's on Dillian Whyte was bloody delicious as well. Not quite as good as Tank's but lovely all the same.

Similar move in a way but a lot easier for the big chaps to flatter each other, The Tank fight was really good with LSC fighting a really good fight until he got wiped out, possibly Tank v Lopez which would be a hoot.