Champions League

Plenty of big names from the past (nae the Tims!) in the Champions League early rounds. Sad, I think, what the Champions League rebrand has done to once-great sides.

Here's a piece I wrote on Dinamo Tbilisi - http://futbolgrad.com/dinamo-tbilisi-quest-champions-league/

They thumped Liverpool in 1979, and won the Cup Winners' Cup in 81 with the backbone of the USSR national side. Older fellas will mind Shengelia scoring against Scotland in 1982 World Cup.

Off to see them play Aktobe (Kazakhstan) tonight and they'll do very well to even squeeze past them.

Good article min.

Good start to the thread.

Shame the competition is a fixed sham.

Needs a new trophy as it's not the European Cup. They gave the Europa League a new trophy. Why not the Champions League?

How do you mean fixed? As in the big teams getting mollycoddled through to the latter stages?

Seeding, the money that the major clubs get, the "four champions league" spots for certain countries, the fact that normal clubs have to play a season of qualifiers before they even get close to the actual competition, the "Oh, you've been knocked out? well how about we give you another bite of the cherry in the Europa League, i'm sure the little clubs won't mind"

How do you mean fixed? As in the big teams getting mollycoddled through to the latter stages?

Yes.

Pretty much that.

Devised competition that is more of a money making exercise than a competition.

Completely set up to allow as many big teams as possible to gain entry to the lucrative stages.

A sham of a competition and not the European Cup. Why on earth they keep up the pretence with the European Cup trophy is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...

Imnae buying into Real yet.

Rinaldo yes.

But still for me Bale was grossly overpriced to an obscene level.

Benzema is just average.

And Rodriguez I'll reserve judgement on till after an average World Cup (team wise) has subsided.

Kroos. Great buy. But rumours of Kedeira and di Maria leaving are odd given their importance.

Imnae buying into Real yet.

Rinaldo yes.

But still for me Bale was grossly overpriced to an obscene level.

Benzema is just average.

And Rodriguez I'll reserve judgement on till after an average World Cup (team wise) has subsided.

Kroos. Great buy. But rumours of Kedeira and di Maria leaving are odd given their importance.

One will have to go after adding Kroos and Rodriguez, and they also have Isco who will be surplus now too.

While Bale (and Rodriguez) were over priced, Bale finished the season strongly, and ended up with 22 goals, which was more than Alexis Sanchez and only 2 less than the out and out forward of Benzema,