Aberdeen Airport

rumpus

Koh Samui, now that's a cracking airport.

Samui airport is great, just so different to any other airport. Liked the little tram carts that take you to and from the terminal to the plane, however the novelty wears off after the first time and then they become tedious slowing the whole process.

Queensland Airport in NZ has the best views I've ever seen.

Aberdeen Airport is indeed crap with the majority of staff useless (this is true in all UK airports though).

One of the airports in Berlin is the worst I've ever been to.

Samui airport is great, just so different to any other airport. Liked the little tram carts that take you to and from the terminal to the plane, however the novelty wears off after the first time and then they become tedious slowing the whole process.

Queensland Airport in NZ has the best views I've ever seen.

Aberdeen Airport is indeed crap with the majority of staff useless (this is true in all UK airports though).

One of the airports in Berlin is the worst I've ever been to.

Was it flying for easy jet Schonfeld? Pretty shitty airport.

Sadly, even though I will do plentiful flights per year with SAS and Widereo, the bonus points for the flights to Norway is generally pishe, and I do not meet the 50,000 points per annum required for gold card status for lounge access, silver card it is, which is about as much use as a chocolate frying pan.

:clangers2:

They keep talking about points for internal flights. SAS are especially keen as it's their last hope of competing against Norwegian.

Widerøe are a shite wee airline (every time eh see ambulances and fire trucks racing to Flesland, it's a Widerøe flight that's in trouble) whose best hope is to be bought by thon pilot and his chums. Thank fuck SAS have been told to sell them.

Ciampino in Rome is the worst airport ever.

No bar, and it's basically just cattle pens that everyone goes into and waits to board the plane.

Such a ridiculous airport and if you've been, you'll know it's the worst.

You get what you pay for I guess

Lagos Domestic Airport is probably the worst I've been to, you get fleeced at every stage - check-in, security, gate then getting on the plane. No cash then you're not getting on the flight you're meant to regardless if you have a ticket

You get what you pay for I guess

Lagos Domestic Airport is probably the worst I've been to, you get fleeced at every stage - check-in, security, gate then getting on the plane. No cash then you're not getting on the flight you're meant to regardless if you have a ticket

Port Harcourt is fun seeing how far you can get without paying anything or having them take anything out of your bag. A great tip is to take about 25 pairs of cheap new socks with you and just hand them over still with the labels on.

Was it flying for easy jet Schonfeld? Pretty shitty airport.

You should go to Tegal then, it makes Schonefeld look good.

Either way, both are closing and being replaced by 'Brandenburg Airport' about 2 years ago.

Has anyone ever used Dundee airport? Much like the city as a whole its existence and purpose is something I struggle to comprehend.

It's not really used for Commercial Aviation anymore (other than a flight to London Schitty), if you're not going skydiving or learning to fly you'll probably never use it.

I generally dislike airports.

JFK was poor.

All I really want is competent staff, WiFi (newspaper at the very least) and a beer.

Some don't even have that.

^ pretty much that (except substitute beer for any liquid :) )

plus i want planes that arrive and depart close to, if not on, schedule.

and the less sprawling the airport is the better, so you can get in and out as quickly as possible.

I quite like airports when I am going somewhere. Not so much when I am coming back.

Never had a flight delayed by more than an hour, so never spent an overly long period in one before. Well, apart from 5-6 hours in Luton on way to Madrid, but we had cards and we had beer, so all was good.

• 5 months later...

ABERDEEN International Airport will undergo its biggest redevelopment in nearly 40 years.

It emerged today that the £13 million plans have been given the go-ahead after 20-months of organising.
The project, which will take three years to complete, will totally alter the look and feel of the terminal, including a larger lounge area, more retail opportunities, refreshed arrivals products with new reclaims belts for both domestic and international passengers, and a state-of-the-art new security search area.
It will see the airside area (those parts of the terminal after security) significantly increased with security brought forward, freeing up more space for new catering and shopping facilities.
The British Airways and Servisair lounges will increase with some of those customers being afforded exciting views across the runway. The process to relocate security will itself result in a completely refurbished search area with new technology and more search lanes, all installed whilst meeting strict regulatory requirements.
Carol Benzie is the airport MD, who has been working on this project since its initial stages. “What we are about to embark upon is the biggest change since that time.
“Whilst work has already begun to enable this project to start, the bulk of work on site will be visible from the third quarter of 2014.
“Our business is growing. This region is growing. We are working on an ongoing basis to secure new routes, particularly leisure services, and to give our customers an airport that they can continue to be proud of.
“We are working closely with local developers to create an airport city concept that will have our airport at its heart.
“We are working and engaging with local authorities and government to drive forward the local infrastructure issues. There are a lot of good things going on just now which demonstrates that this part of the country really does punch above its weight. This blueprint for the future shows a commitment to maintaining that momentum.”
Scotland’s Transport Minister Keith Brown also welcomed the news.
He said: “These are exciting times at Aberdeen Airport and the plans to redevelop the terminal will only help to build on the airport’s success.
"It is great news for both passengers and staff with the new facilities set to improve the entire airport experience, from upgrading the security area and baggage belts to allowing more space for shops and restaurants.
"These plans mean Aberdeen International Airport will continue to be an attractive option for travellers and airlines in the future.”
Steve Harris from VisitAberdeen believes the changes can only enhance the reputation of Aberdeen for visitors.
He said: “The airport is vital to us in that it creates the first and last impressions of the city for millions of our visitors each year.
“In addition, it provides the most crucial part of our connectivity to the rest of the world. Development enhances the opportunities for growth."

It's a start, but from the plans fuck knows what they're actually doing.

Security is shite.

The departure lounge is too small and has no facilities.

International arrivals is a joke.

The domestic baggage reclaim is terrible

Other than that though, ABZ is alright.

The only realistic route missing from Aberdeen is Stansted, and even then it would just dilute easyJet's other London routes.

I think they should have a seperate departure lounge for masses that choose to take charter flights to "the sun" just so they do not annoy me whilst I conduct my business.

Hate sitting in amongst the shell suited lads and Primarked up wifies sneaking sly drinks out of their just bought duty free as they moan that the flight to Costa Farevir has just been delayed 10 hours. Also EasyJet patrons as they head off to London Luton to see a show or go shopping, oh and just a bus shelter would suffice for these Man U fans who act all high and mighty cos they have outgrown Aberdeen and fly down to manchester every other week.

Aberdeen:

Home of the Self-sealing envelope

Home of Spike the talking Cactus

Aberdeen has really hit the big time these days, huh? :laughing:

I think thon Spike the talking Cactus fella posts on here, doesnt he? :laughing:

It's not much wonder people see us as parochial inbred sheep shaggers.

Honestly, ive never thought any forum users here are parochial or inbred. :laughing:

At least its not as bad a Prestwick "Pure Dead Brilliant" Airport - that was a real low point.

Made even worse by the fact they oddly used ned-weegie-speak to represent rural ayrshire,.....when in fact the catchphrase should have been full of "och, wheeshit, ye ken" etc.