6 minutes ago, PondHopper said:

As opposed to signing the likes of curtis main, bryson, ojo, mcgeek, etc

At least with the loans the talent ought to be better.

No guarantees there. 

I could probably count the good loan players we've had under McInnes on one hand. Definitely no more than two. 

Maddison 

Christie 

Ward

Hector 

Lowe 

Maybe Church 

Anyone else? 

5 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No guarantees there. 

I could probably count the good loan players we've had under McInnes on one hand. Definitely no more than two. 

Maddison 

Christie 

Ward

Hector 

Lowe 

Maybe Church 

Anyone else? 

Watkins

aye that’s about it, church is probably pushing it 

7 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No guarantees there. 

Maddison 

Christie 

Ward

Hector 

Lowe 

Maybe Church 

Anyone else? 

So you're saying it's the manager...

But seriously... seeing how the club got these two in a day before the window shut I'd say the loan market needs more exploring. Especially for a creative midfielder. That's been lacking for too long.

Edit- also kinda proved my point. AFC isn't going to sign or attract better than that list on frees. 

1 minute ago, PondHopper said:

But seriously... seeing how the club got these two in a day before the window shut I'd say the loan market needs more exploring. Especially for a creative midfielder. That's been lacking for too long.

There are good loans to be had. Christie and Maddison are the prime examples of that. 

But you still need to do your due diligence.  We seem to have accepted some right crap on loan, you wonder if we've even seen some of them play before. 

9 minutes ago, PondHopper said:

Edit- also kinda proved my point. AFC isn't going to sign or attract better than that list on frees. 

Aye but that's less than one good one a year on average. 

4 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye but that's less than one good one a year on average. 

Pretty sure one year of europa group stage pays pretty well. If the chairman also gets that northern europe league he wants then maybe enough revenues get generated to buy some young internationals. I saw the USMNT in a friendly and they had a lot of nice youngsters coming up. Gotta start somewhere. Signing ojo and main is not the answer. 

May better loan options open up if the budget increases for it. If Ferguson moves on you'd think it'd be the cheapest option to try to reach the group.

Just now, PondHopper said:

Pretty sure one year of europa group stage pays pretty well. If the chairman also gets that northern europe league he wants then maybe enough revenues get generated to buy some young internationals. I saw the USMNT in a friendly and they had a lot of nice youngsters coming up. Gotta start somewhere. Signing ojo and main is not the answer. 

The answer is not signing Ojo and Main. 

And signing more like McLean, Shinnie and Ferguson. 

2 minutes ago, Dad said:

Looking back - I think it was the megaflop The James Wilson Show that fucked Del up inside.

The James Wilson Show should have been the proof fan generated funding was one possible answer in making a beanstalk out of a couple of beans; instead it was the start of a steady decline into routine signings plucked willy nilly from the list of arseholes all the other cunts get.

Pinned to the wall and a few darts chucked at it - who we got in the tombola....curtis main.

Ah no

I liked the myfootballclub idea, but they were too far down. I'm surprised some club down on their financial luck hasn't tried to recreate a fifa career mode experience and let anyone paying a monthly fee vote on stuff.

6 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

Parker, chidli, Ryan edmundson, James Wilson, Jon Gallacher, Greg stewart

shall I go on?

The point was afc cant afford to sign anyone as good as some of the recent loaners that have come through. A good bit of scouting with Fergs and Cosgrove. But not enough to achieve the chairman's goals. A good proven player isn't walking through the door cuz some other club will pay him more.

22 minutes ago, PondHopper said:

The point was afc cant afford to sign anyone as good as some of the recent loaners that have come through. A good bit of scouting with Fergs and Cosgrove. But not enough to achieve the chairman's goals. A good proven player isn't walking through the door cuz some other club will pay him more.

My point is that continually bringing so many new players in - with a risk that they might be recalled - isnt realistic. That combined with the fact that the chances of us finding 6 class loans (like Maddison and ward) at the same time, EVERY year is unlikely.

24 minutes ago, DD1903 said:

My point is that continually bringing so many new players in - with a risk that they might be recalled - isnt realistic. That combined with the fact that the chances of us finding 6 class loans (like Maddison and ward) at the same time, EVERY year is unlikely.

Aye. His best period was 2015-17 when we had a fairly settled line up of permanent contract players.  Smallish squad supplemented by a small number of loan players. 

The turnover since then has been far too high.  It's like a fucking lottery these days. Turning over around 10-12 players per season but still gaping holes in the squad. 

6 minutes ago, aberdeen1970 said:

Aye. His best period was 2015-17 when we had a fairly settled line up of permanent contract players.  Smallish squad supplemented by a small number of loan players. 

The turnover since then has been far too high.  It's like a fucking lottery these days. Turning over around 10-12 players per season but still gaping holes in the squad. 

Exactly!

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

That's it in a nutshell. 

Ridiculous situation to have 4 centre backs all going out of contract this summer (Consi resolved that slightly by triggering his extension)

But we might need to replace all 3 of Hoban, Taylor and Devlin. Even if Hoban and Taylor get offered new contracts (Devlin obv won't), there's no guarantee they'll sign

Same applies to our strikers  

1 hour ago, DD1903 said:

Isn't part of the problem finding "class" the budget? Celtic has a guy on loan from southampton who qualifies as "class".

I'm suggesting more bench spots open for youth and no more contracts issued to vet scrubs. Then maybe AFC can spend more on the loan market. 

I've always felt like if a chairman wasn't a "salt daddy" (look that up lol) that he'd get a little seed money together to transfer in some young internationals to flip. But short of that I was thinking AFC could at least get in on it by taking them on loan.

7 hours ago, PondHopper said:

Isn't part of the problem finding "class" the budget? Celtic has a guy on loan from southampton who qualifies as "class".

I'm suggesting more bench spots open for youth and no more contracts issued to vet scrubs. Then maybe AFC can spend more on the loan market. 

I've always felt like if a chairman wasn't a "salt daddy" (look that up lol) that he'd get a little seed money together to transfer in some young internationals to flip. But short of that I was thinking AFC could at least get in on it by taking them on loan.

You can keep adding to what you're suggesting, I don't agree. It's daft.

13 hours ago, aberdeen1970 said:

No guarantees there. 

Maddison 

Christie 

Ward

Hector 

Lowe 

Maybe Church 

Anyone else? 

Bit of a stretch, but Kenny McLean 

He was loaned back to us from Norwich & arguably played his best football in that 5 months.

I take the point though.

I see no point in loaning players to sit in the bench which a lot have done, if we’re moaning a player or two it should be to improve the first team & be players we couldn’t ordinarily afford to buy. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Bit of a stretch, but Kenny McLean 

He was loaned back to us from Norwich & arguably played his best football in that 5 months.

I take the point though.

I see no point in loaning players to sit in the bench which a lot have done, if we’re moaning a player or two it should be to improve the first team & be players we couldn’t ordinarily afford to buy. 

*loaning* not “moaning”

Fat thumb syndrome 

8 hours ago, DD1903 said:

You can keep adding to what you're suggesting, I don't agree. It's daft.

I grew up playing football/soccer but quit to play more sports popular at the time. About 8 or 9 years ago when I started traveling I got back into it. You can ask me any question about basketball, and I can answer it. But Ive been sort of rediscovering football and wished I'd have stuck with playing LB and gk.

Anyways I agree about the youth development, finding the fergs and big sams, but I fail to see how the chairman achieves his goals without help from the loan market.

I'm not sure how accurate a stupid video game is, but on the loan deals you only pay part of the wages. For teams trying to stretch the budget you gotta like that.

I agree the roster turnover is bad. I just think it'd be stomached better if at least the quality of players being turned over was better.