Scott Brown, Looking Back...

With Scott Brown now having departed a few weeks it has given some time for reflection on his time here.

Looking back I think the signing and some of the behavior of our fans was generally an embarrassment and demeaned the club.

To have fans who have 'hated' him for years turn up with 'Broony' flags and singing his name never sat right with me, and looking back looks quite pathetic.

His performances, other than a handful, were awful., he clearly stunted the progress and performances of Lewis Ferguson, who has been much improved since he left.

Not to mention his disgraceful behavior in the two games against Celtic, where our club captain feigned injury so he could get a standing ovation from his former teams' fans. A new low even for AFC. 

It turned out that the accusation thrown at brown his whole career, that he was a flat track bully,  turned out to be largely correct, when the going got tough he was nowhere to be seen and headed for the exit door.

I hope some serious lessons are learned at the club after this debacle.

17 minutes ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

With Scott Brown now having departed a few weeks it has given some time for reflection on his time here.

Looking back I think the signing and some of the behavior of our fans was generally an embarrassment and demeaned the club.

To have fans who have 'hated' him for years turn up with 'Broony' flags and singing his name never sat right with me, and looking back looks quite pathetic.

His performances, other than a handful, were awful., he clearly stunted the progress and performances of Lewis Ferguson, who has been much improved since he left.

Not to mention his disgraceful behavior in the two games against Celtic, where our club captain feigned injury so he could get a standing ovation from his former teams' fans. A new low even for AFC. 

It turned out that the accusation thrown at brown his whole career, that he was a flat track bully,  turned out to be largely correct, when the going got tough he was nowhere to be seen and headed for the exit door.

Have you confirmed all these fans with the ‘Broony’ flags actually hated him for years, or are you just generalising & cross referencing those that always hated him with the flag wavers that didn’t.

Even when he was playing for Tim’s there were many fans that didn’t ‘hate’ him & argued that we would love him to be in our team & they also loved him for Scotland.

I always hated him. Hibs/Celtic/Scotland/Aberdeen 

that said football is football & I was able to put that hate on a back burner during his decent games for Scotland & Aberdeen & give credit where/when due. Still hated the cunt though ?

Just now, ABERDEENROWIE1903 said:

His goal at Iprix was a moment to savor plus his celebration in front of the Huns priceless 

Apart from that not much to rave about.

To be fair none of the rest of the squad have been any better

We tried something different but it didn't work out. Not his fault how things panned out

End of

He was the ‘marquee’ ?signing to justify the appointment of a completely amateur/shite manager. Nothing more. 
All part of the snake oil salesman’s scheme, as was Ramirez signing.  Cunt thinks he’s shrewd/clever. He very well may be (in business) but he’s fkn useless & out of his depth in football. 

2 hours ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

I hate every player who plays against AFC. Doesn't mean I'm still going to hate that player when he plays for the Reds. 

Also how dare supporters have the audacity to support their team.......

Aye the fans were hating him when he scored that header against Sevco right enough, could not move on social media due to people berating him for his performance right enough?

The guy was class and has been one of our best performers this season.

He came, he scored, he wound up the Huns and now he has left. Thanks for your time here and good luck for the future.

• Upvote 4

The word I'd use would be "disappointment" rather than "embarrassment".

I thought he would add some steel to our weak minded team - he didn't.

I thought he would rally the troops when things weren't going well - he didn't.

I thought he would add real passion and aggression on the pitch - other than against Sevco, he didn't.

I get the feeling he realised pretty quickly that things weren't going to go the way he had hoped and the way it had been sold to him when he joined - he probably realised pretty early on that the management team was a joke, most of the players around him were garbage, and that it's not so easy when you aren't surrounded by players who are being paid at least double what your opponents are being paid. Basically once he realised it, he didn't fancy it any more, and rather than dragging the team up, he just dropped down to their level. 

Yeah, great that he scored against Sevco and wound them up a couple of times - we all enjoyed that... but ultimately we never beat them, and there's another 10 teams in the league to play against. Someone should have reminded him of that, and some of our fans need to be reminded of that too. Celebrating him simply because of a goal and wind up against Sevco, when he was a major part of the problem this season is crazy.

He was a good player in his day, showed occasional glimpses of it with us, but ultimately was a disappointment and waste of a lot of money.

3 hours ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Aye right enough, we should have formulated a community post on Twitter advising him that the collective jury was well and truly out on the guy who has won more in the Scottish game than anyone recently and we would not be supporting him until he had proved his worth.

Because that's how football fans think.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

What a lot of rubbish. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
2 hours ago, YorkDon said:

Scott Brown of 5 years ago would’ve been a terrific signing.Sadly, as has been mentioned, well past his best.

He needed the protective green & white hooped cloak to fool folk into thinking he was far better than he was. 

If the Tim’s had signed Ryan Jack at same age he would have gained the same false stature as Brown was gifted. 

same old overrated arse cheek shite. 
 Ferguson,  Lennon, Brown & this latest pathetic attempt by Sevco with Jack. 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Aye the fans were hating him when he scored that header against Sevco right enough, could not move on social media due to people berating him for his performance right enough?

He came, he scored, he wound up the Huns and now he has left. Thanks for your time here and good luck for the future.

What a depressingly tin pot mentality you have.

'he wound up the Huns' so fucking what. We are fourth bottom of the league.

1 hour ago, Don_Corleone said:

The word I'd use would be "disappointment" rather than "embarrassment".

I thought he would add some steel to our weak minded team - he didn't.

I thought he would rally the troops when things weren't going well - he didn't.

I thought he would add real passion and aggression on the pitch - other than against Sevco, he didn't.

I get the feeling he realised pretty quickly that things weren't going to go the way he had hoped and the way it had been sold to him when he joined - he probably realised pretty early on that the management team was a joke, most of the players around him were garbage, and that it's not so easy when you aren't surrounded by players who are being paid at least double what your opponents are being paid. Basically once he realised it, he didn't fancy it any more, and rather than dragging the team up, he just dropped down to their level. 

Yeah, great that he scored against Sevco and wound them up a couple of times - we all enjoyed that... but ultimately we never beat them, and there's another 10 teams in the league to play against. Someone should have reminded him of that, and some of our fans need to be reminded of that too. Celebrating him simply because of a goal and wind up against Sevco, when he was a major part of the problem this season is crazy.

He was a good player in his day, showed occasional glimpses of it with us, but ultimately was a disappointment and waste of a lot of money.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Dr_Manhattan said:

Aye right enough, we should have formulated a community post on Twitter advising him that the collective jury was well and truly out on the guy who has won more in the Scottish game than anyone recently and we would not be supporting him until he had proved his worth.

Because that's how football fans think.

Why do you, as an Aberdeen fan, care how much trophies a player has won at Celtic? Utterly bizarre. Celtic's turnover is more than ten x more than most other clubs in the league, it is hardly a major achievement that they win trophies.

2 hours ago, For Fecks Sake said:

Him doing a jig and a bow after we lost a 2-0 lead at Ibrox, not came back from 2-0 down, as the fans chanted Broonay, and the club posted pictures of it over and over for days, is one of the most embarrassing things this club has done in recent times. Worthy of a plucky League 2 team. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

What a depressingly tin pot mentality you have.

'he wound up the Huns' so fucking what. We are fourth bottom of the league.

And Scott Brown alone is the cause of that is he?

What you looking to debate, the impact Scott Brown had or the fact that we are 4th bottom?

• Upvote 1

I couldn’t get used to the sight of him in a dons shirt. Never shouted his name once, but did want it to work out. 

found folk who were suddenly slagging Shay logan about his run ins with Scott brown a bit weird though. Logan’s a man who wore our shirt with passion for years. Bit of a bellend on social media for sure but a great servant and booting the ball off brown and chucking a ball at him at Celtic park should be celebrated 

8 hours ago, GeorgeStreetReds said:

Why do you, as an Aberdeen fan, care how much trophies a player has won at Celtic? Utterly bizarre. Celtic's turnover is more than ten x more than most other clubs in the league, it is hardly a major achievement that they win trophies.

He was one of the most successful and influential players in Scottish football for a decade. Signing him was a coup. I wish it had worked, but it didn't and that's life.

As someone else said, I was surprised he played week in, week out and that probably didn't help. I was expecting him to be mostly deployed against the sort of teams we should have been regularly beating but weren't. He started well, but faded away and obviously wasn't happy when his pal got the dunt. There are far bigger embarrassments and failures than Brown that have played for us in recent years.

• Upvote 1