Bad Golf Courses

I don't rate it at all. Nothing to do with the crumbling wreck of a building, the golf course itself flatters to deceive. Quite liked it until I played it 3 times in 4 months a couple of years ago. Wouldn't voluntarily play there again. Rosemount and Landsdowne are cracking inland courses in great condition, but Hazlehead No. 1 is my favourite turf for inland tracks.

Hazlehead No 1 up there???

Murcar, snobby, with hellhole of a course, rough rough rough, worst I've ever felt on any course, couldn't wait to get off.

Auchmill, FROGHOLE- one of the best par threes around,

played it last with a guy from Houston, ned rides down on the 13th fairway on his scrambler, Texas guy says don't you call the cops? Waste of time says I....... back home we'd shoot the bastwerd says he............... I'm all for that!

Swailend Newmachar...... awful

Lumphanan 9 holer.........awful

Torphins 9 holer.......awful

Bidford Grange (ebay deal last year), Shakespeare Country, bonny surroundings , ex PGA course, now very neglected, mushrooms growing on greens, shame.

Any at Gleneagles....... simply not worth the money

Good

Kintore..... love it

Kemnay

Brechin

Braemar, a journey to get to, but worth it.

Inverurie

Kings Links

Inverallochy

Turriff

Duffhouse Royal

Hawkshill Newmachar

Hazelhead 1 and the 9holer for a chap

Kirriemuir

Guest rocket_scientist
Murcar, snobby, with hellhole of a course, rough rough rough, worst I've ever felt on any course, couldn't wait to get off.

Despite the danger of my opinion being coloured by winning an individual prize at the Energy Golf Challenge there on Friday, I sort of agree with you.

I used to be a member there many moons ago too, but other than two back to back par 4's being tremendously good consecutive holes, it isn't a good overall golfing experience.

Wouldn't care if I never went back.

Its a real shame Auchmill is where it is cos it gets spoiled by the neds

who roam the course stealing balls and flags.

That Frog Hole is a great par 3 and it's got some other decent holes.

The first time i played Lumphanan i enjoyed it but the next time was my

last.

There's a real good hole - maybe 9th where you are real high up and hit tee shot

through a space between trees but thats about it.

My gripe with Kings Links is simply the time it can take to play a round.

The first time i played Lumphanan i enjoyed it but the next time was my

last.

There's a real good hole - maybe 9th where you are real high up and hit tee shot

through a space between trees but thats about it.

I'm there for the second time on Sunday afternoon, I was expecting very little, and was pleasantly surprised last year at how good the greens were. It's very very short, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Birdied the last for a 69 - while that's still something like 7 over, I was made up to post under 70 for the first time.
I'm there for the second time on Sunday afternoon, I was expecting very little, and was pleasantly surprised last year at how good the greens were. It's very very short, but not nearly as bad as I expected. Birdied the last for a 69 - while that's still something like 7 over, I was made up to post under 70 for the first time.

It's a tricky course right enough - just a bit too hilly for my liking.

That would be great breaking 70.

Roberto - got confirmation e mail - appreciated !

Kintore's a decent course, if you aint done it before worth booking a buggy.

Got to agree, I don;t understand the hate of Kintore. The second is a bit silly maybe, but 15, 16 & 17 are fine, I mean 17 is just a standard shortish par 3, and the other two are great quirky birdie chances at the end of your round. In fact with 18 playing much shorter than the card, you have 3 great chances to get your score back if it's gone, or poist a great one if you can get your putter working at the end.
  • Upvote 1

Not played golf for about 10 years but would like to pick it up again but how much is a typical membership??

Might join east aberdeenshire as its close by and sounds not busy, ideal for learning.

Got put off golf when i was a member of Murcar when i was 15. What a terrible club, crap courses, full of absolute snooby morons. Got sent off the course for wearing jeans and a polo shirt once, but i was only bloody 15. That along with finding it difficult to become semi-decent resulted in me packing it in.

• 2 weeks later...
Might join east aberdeenshire as its close by and sounds not busy, ideal for learning.
Never played it myself, but yet to hear from a single person who has anything good to say about it. Also word that they're struggling financially; maybe better options out there?

As for Lumphanan, finished with three bogeys this year to only shoot 71, so was pretty pissed off. Still think it's decent if you accept it for what it is, and the greens again were excellent.

• 4 years later...

i use to play at lord cowdray's dunecht house 9 holer. it had electric fencing round the greens because of the sheep. good wee course.

i had a go at hazelhead as well.

in edinburgh there's a public course at craigentinny, it's not bad, all the holes are different. one time, there was the smouldering remains of a car on the 3rd fairway.

A bit unfair saying Lumphanan is awful.

It was designed on a bit of farmland donated to the village for nothing and made from scratch by locals in their spare time.

The clubhouse was built by a local builder for no money also.

It is nothing more than a pitch and putt and was never meant to rival Trump International......

I agree with you rumpus, Torphins is awful, but I think Lumphanan have made a great job of what they have, and as I said years ago on this thread, excellent greens.

was that the boy that zoomered about in a red mini!

lovely wee course, had it's own amen corner.

Nah that was Geordie, he was sound.

Blister Erse was Bill Scott the greenkeeper, so named for his notoriety from the tattie picking, where he sat in his tractor all day shouting "baskets, baskets". Nae sure if that was at us, or instructions for us. But he was a fucking awful greenkeeper.