British Olympic Football Team

I, personally, have always been totally against the idea of a British Olympic football team. Primarily as it would almost certainly jeopardise Scotlands status as an international football team. However, now that FIFA have backtracked and offered assurances that this will not be the case, surely we're now just as well supporting the cause? I don't see much of a problem anymore to be honest, if any Scots wish to make themselves available for selection, anyone standing in their way is surely just a spoil sport?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/7723932.stm

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why won't this thing die!?

I wouldn't trust anything FIFA says. There is no point in even chancing the future of the national teams just to take place in a diddy tournament like the Olympic games.

Absolutely, in a few years we lose Blatter, get some African and suddenly it's team GB.

There's no need for it, just let it go.

Italian Fabio Capello has spoken of his "Olympic dream" as he contemplates life after his England contract ends in 2012 - just before the London Games.

He said: "I'll be 66 by then and will have reached retirement age. I'd like to make my dream come true by taking part in an Olympic Games.

"That's something I was denied as a player and its still fills me with regret," he told Fifa Magazine.

Capello also said he was keen to see a Great Britain team take part in 2012.

"It's only fair that Great Britain should have a team at the Olympics, but it is up to others to decide how, and with which players," added Capello.

Great Britain have not sent a football team to the Olympics since 1960, partly because of worries the individual international futures of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland could be threatened.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7725556.stm

frigg off Capello.

Why won't this thing die!?

I wouldn't trust anything FIFA says. There is no point in even chancing the future of the national teams just to take place in a diddy tournament like the Olympic games.

i wouldnt trust this either unless they are given assurance in writing from Fifa. even then i wouldnt support a team GB

Alex Salmond is a devices, fat, Yam nut who is a cancer to the Scottish people.

Disgusting individual.

Much like our own Jimmy Calderwood, fat of body, fat of mind, only concerned in what he can do for himself.

I will not get into a political slagging match with you,that's your opinion and your prerogative, I just happen to think the complete opposite......apart from the Jimmy thing that is :lolrangers:

Alex Salmond is a devices, fat, Yam nut who is a cancer to the Scottish people.

Disgusting indivdual.

I will get into a slanging match even if Kenny won't. You're talking utter pish. That good enough? Just for clarification though, what traits does someone who is a 'devices' exhibit? :poster_oops:

I class myself as british so i have no problem whatsoever with a british team. like someone has said the current scotland squad is full of huns and tims. although i do go and watch scotland, i don't see how anyone can support and cheer on barry ferguson and other ouigi minks like that. i hate there guts where as i don't hate rooney, gerrard etc so don't have a problem at all with team gb. i'll support them.

I class myself as british so i have no problem whatsoever with a british team. like someone has said the current scotland squad is full of huns and tims. although i do go and watch scotland, i don't see how anyone can support and cheer on barry ferguson and other ouigi minks like that. i hate there guts where as i don't hate rooney, gerrard etc so don't have a problem at all with team gb. i'll support them.

because we are not all as imature as you.

anyone who wears the dark blue gets my backing.

what would you rather the scotland manager did pick players from other SPL sides just to make it even. NO you pick the players from the best teams as they are obviously good enough for these teams. whether you like it or not the OF are the best teams in the country and it will be this way for years to come.

what would you rather the scotland manager did pick players from other SPL sides just to make it even. NO you pick the players from the best teams as they are obviously good enough for these teams. whether you like it or not the OF are the best teams in the country and it will be this way for years to come.

:poster_oops:

Jesus. As examples you give two of the biggest w*nkers in England. Nice call sir :poster_oops:

I will get into a slanging match even if Kenny won't. You're talking utter pish. That good enough? Just for clarification though, what traits does someone who is a 'devices' exhibit? :confused:

Salmond is Fat : Check

He's a Yam : Check

He's a nut : Check

I meant he's divisive, he's not working for the good of the Scottish people, he's working for the good of Alex Salmond.

beside if by wanting to be a leader of a nation as badly as he does, you should really be discounted from doing so. He is bad for this great country.

Nae offense mate, but you live in Bolton, you don't have to live under his useless regime.

Ok, just you continue to cheer on that hun minker. :confused: it absolute disgusts me.

i hate rangers and celtic, i cannot support any of their players. i think that's pretty normal.

• 2 weeks later...

A response has been made to the petition online against this

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page17709

The issue of a Great Britain football team for the London 2012 Olympic Games has generated much debate. The Government is committed to field the best possible team in as many events as possible at the Olympic Games. Any decision on whether a GB football team is formed and participates at the Olympic Games is, however, a matter for FIFA, the four Home Nation Associations, and the organisers of the Olympic tournament.

The Government believes that a GB Olympic football team should not affect the rights of the Four Home Nations Associations to compete separately in international football tournaments, which is an important part of our sporting tradition.

:laughing:

Firstly, strictly speaking football shouldn't be at the Olympics. I like the idea that the Olympics is the pinnacle event for a particular sport and football will always have the World Cup as "the major" (much like tennis having its Majors).

Secondly, since the country can't seem to agree on whether to have a Team GB or not, why not have a Home Nations tournament in the run up to London 2012 with the winners representing the UK at the olympics? :o

This way, the English could finally be granted their wish of having Fergie manage their national squad (albeit an under-23 team) with David Beckham as assistant manager.

• 2 weeks later...
Blatter once again says go ahead...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/7785935.stm

The trap is set

i really dont get why they are trying so hard to get this going. there never was a GB football side so why now??? just because the olympics is to be held (partly at tax payers expense) in london. these games wont benefit anyone apart from london/

f**k team GB