Best Dram

yellow

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this old puteny any good?

The 21 yr old just got voted best whisky in the world.

worldwhisky2012.jpg

Scoring a record-equalling 97.5 points out of 100, it is only the third time that a single malt has ever won the prestigious award, and we are just the second Scottish distillery to do so.

My link

I got a bottle when it was £30-40 a go I think, now it's near £100. My dad had the 1983 (year I was born) orig batch drank it though (£200 a go)... poster_oops.gif

Pretty much the only one I enjoy is Balvenie.

A lame reason for getting into it i know but i feel like i should like whisky. I'm hoping i can power through the mingingness like in my teenage years when i didn't like lager.

So....i like Balvenie (only tried 10 year old and the double wood) What other similar ones would i like?

Balvenie double wood is my favourite as well, so if you like that you'll like the portwood as well & the rum cask one

Other good ones I like are (excuse the spellings) Auchentoshan, Glengoyne, Glen mhor, Dalwhinnie,Bowmore, benronnach, singleton,Bruichladich, Aberlour, old pulnety.

Not really a massive fan of the peaty/smokey ones but I do like the Jura's

Utter shite.

Clach is gaelic for Stone. - Clachnacuddin in Inverness refers to the stone the women would take their washing to beat it and have a chat

Clachan nan choin is gaelic for (literally) "stones of the dog".

Close enough for dog's bollocks, but alliterative also, which I assume is why that particular metaphor was chosen.

---

To help the OP, the Balvenie is produced by William Grants of Dufftown - they also make Glenfiddich at the same location.

Others you might like from the same area might include;

MacAllan - a wide range and easily available in most bars / supermarkets.

Aberlour - the cask strength is particularly fine

Glen Rothes.

---

My recommendation to anyone who wishes to find out more about what they enjoy would be to go to the Whisky Shop in Tomintoul - they'll give you tasters and tips as well as getting a nose of some more unusualy whiskies as well.

I was always told by my family that a clachan was an old type stone house or bothy & or the type of old village consisting of them & that's where the clachan stone came from but not 100% on that.

Will ask my mum the next time I phone her as she's a fluent Gaelic speaker & it's still her first language & was mine but I no longer speak it very well at all.

I was always told by my family that a clachan was an old type stone house or bothy & or the type of old village consisting of them & that's where the clachan stone came from but not 100% on that.

Will ask my mum the next time I phone her as she's a fluent Gaelic speaker & it's still her first language & was mine but I no longer speak it very well at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clachan

near enough

It is blocked at work.

I've already been trying to search for some, but I can't get on to some sites - I'll have a peep later though when I get home.

get yersl michael jacksons whisky book. or one similar and have flick through it. double up and give him that as part of the gift. everyones a winner.

I like most malts to be honest.

For a standard tipple Macallan 10 is my favourite it's so unbelievably smooth anyone can enjoy it.

When I'm feeling a bit more adventurous and I fancy a smoky number then Talisker or Laphroaig are a good bet, if I want some smoke but slightly less then a Highland Park or Caol Illa does the trick. I'm a big fan of Oban too and for value for money Glenmorangie the original is always good. What I love about Whisky is all the different flavours I love just buying different bottles and trying them and on the occasion you find a gem it's ace.

I'm going to get my dad either a 1956 (year he was born), 1981 (year he was married) or 1983 (obvious) bottle of whisky.

I'm not really sure what to go for like.

I don't really know whisky that well, normally drink it when pished so don't appreciate the taste as much as many folk who are well into their whisky.

The Whisky Museum in Tomintoul is well worth a visit - they have a really big selection of individual casked whiskys and collecters-type stuff.

The chiel that runs the place will happily let you taste a skelp of them to find the one you want.

I ended up going with a 1981 bottle of whisky for my pops.

It has meaning to it, given that was the year him and my mum got married, so to give that on mine and the missus wedding day will mean something.

Now to write my speech......

Strange but I got my wife a bottle of 1981 Gran Reserva Rioja for her 31st the other week. Not cheap either.

Great minds think alike Roberto.

It's an outstandingly thoughtful gift.