Do You Have Kids/ Would You Recommend Having Kids?

Poodler

Popped up in a few threads now, this debate.

Obviously, I don't have kids. I'm incredibly selfish and like to please myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Though it irks people around me who chose to have kids and spend their time telling me to 'grow up' etc.

Those with kids, do you regret it? do you advise it? When/ why? Is it really 'the most amazing experience in the world' etc?

Popped up in a few threads now, this debate.

Obviously, I don't have kids. I'm incredibly selfish and like to please myself. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Though it irks people around me who chose to have kids and spend their time telling me to 'grow up' etc.

Those with kids, do you regret it? do you advise it? When/ why? Is it really 'the most amazing experience in the world' etc?

SS

Ive got one child , still live alone and please masel yet see ma bairn all time shes got one and another on the way cuz shes 27.....lang as ye look after em canna see an issue, its about looking after them and providing and if yer like me pleasin yersel ana.....best oh baith worlds, if thats what ye prefer canna see a prob.....knock yersel oot

They change your life for the better in my opinion and give you a purpose-ie to raise the next generation of Dandies.

The start is tough though,but when their wee personalities start showing it’s great.

It’s nae all plain sailing like and there are some tough times,parenting lessons to learn etc,but I wouldn’t change having my daughter-even though she can be a nightmare at times.

Have 2 and its the toughest but best thing we have done. First few years were fucking awful but now they are into football, cycling, swimming and hold a proper conversation it's decent.

Each stage of development brings its own rewards and new troubles but on the whole I love the little buggers.

• Site Sponsor

Got one and planning another.

Kids are ace. They drive you nuts at times but no better feeling than when they come up to you randomly, hug you and say "love you daddy".

Wouldn't change it for anything. Pain in the ass playing hide and seek for 2 hours like.

I think when you’re asked to find a “hidey hole” I don’t think that’s what they mean double D

Kids are ace. They drive you nuts at times but no better feeling than when they come up to you randomly, hug you and say "love you daddy".

Wouldn't change it for anything. Pain in the ass playing hide and seek for 2 hours like.

Project kick off meeting scheduled?

any stage gates in place?

Q1 2020, yeah?

Project kick off meeting scheduled?

any stage gates in place?

Q1 2020, yeah?

• Site Sponsor

Being serious for a minute and in answer to Poodler, there’s nothing like the feeling when your kids are born.

Perhaps not for everyone but yes, I’m my view, best thing to happen.

Of course, life doesn’t always deal you a fair hand so you have to be prepared to take the rough with the smooth and no one says having kids will be easy.

Sometimes the hand you are dealt will affect the rest of your life and sacrifices have to be made but you aren’t given any guarantees in life and have to make the best of things.

Personally, wouldn’t have wanted not to have kids.

I have 2 and want a 3rd.

Its the best thing in the world, because it is what life is all about.  It is what we are ordered to, the fruit of our relationships. Accordingly then, it is exceptionally fulfilling.

Watching them grow and discover things keeps you young.  You see the world through fresh eyes.  Everything is astonishing to them and worthy of investigation. Astonishment is what adults lack in their own lives and can lead them to become jaded and cynical.

The scales fall from your eyes and you see what is really important in life.  Not work, status or wealth, but gumsy smiles, dirty faces, runny noses, giggles, cuddles and carrying on.

Sure, it can be trying, tiring and expensive - but a great serenity and bliss over-ride these.

There's no right answer to "when?" beyond the obvious basic requirements of the mother and father in a committed relationship and able to provide a child's material needs. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ive said before though.

The birth is shit.

No place for a man.

That is true and apparently the presence of the father makes labour more difficulty for the mother, because he is a distraction and another thing to worry about.

I favour the traditional roles for a man, such as holding the fort at the pub, or enjoying a good sleep so that you are fresh as a daisy to meet the new offspring.

That said, I enjoy sitting about doing f-all and so have enjoyed being at the birth of my daughters.  The only downside is the random time - our first was during the night, but with the second I managed to get out the hospital post-birth and get a kebab on alexandra parade before closing time.

Whenever the midwife leaves the room, I always enjoy a good snork of the gas - like to get my moneys worth, as a taxpayer.  The wife usually mutters in response, in between contractions.

Our first 1 went overdue and ultimately had to be induced.  This was on a friday - they were to give the wife several doses of an inducement drug and, all being well, they thought the baby would come on sunday. 

So I was sent home, "nothing will happen this evening, Mr CS" I was assured by the staff.  So I got a carry out and was tearing into it, in blessed peace, when I got a teary phone call from wife saying "its all happening" and I was to go back.  FFS!

I remember struggling into the place, hoping I was not stinking of booze :laughing:

A lot of pressure these days for young lads to get a house, get married, have kids etc. Seen many of my pals bow to the pressure and just do it because they think it’s the right thing to do. Fuck that. Totally agree with the sentiment of do whatever the fuck you want and don’t put a timeline on it. For gods sake have fun before you’re tied down.