The Mckenna Dilemma

I can think of 4 straight off the top of my head

Gordon, Hutton, Armstrong, Van Djke

"reliable" source lol

It's a crap argument anyway, the transfer market has changed completely in the last 12 months so what players sold for in the past isnt that relevant.

Armstrong is probably the only one worth comparing. I'd say McKenna is in that class although has more to prove. However major difference is Armstrong was in the last year of his contract, McKenna is signed up for years.

• Upvote 2

Im aware of some of the methods for calculating a players value (sometimes used to justify transfer fees to investors, shareholders etc).

However, the point still stands. Why would AFC adhere to a formula used by someone else to value our player when we have no obligation to do so?

Well I'd imagine that's the starting point. The buying club is not going to come in with a stupid offer out of nowhere.

We'd then weight up what we are willing to accept.

He has looked good against spfl players

Up against Sam Vokes who is far from the elite in England he couldn't handle him and it led to us conceding an away goal

Thsts why the 2 markets aren't the same, put simply

Or it could just be that he’s young and still learning, Vokes is a type of player he hadn’t come up against yet is all

He is worth TO US what we have the balls to say he is worth & hold out for.

Any interested clubs can either accept OUR valuation or fk off.

THAT is how transfers work. The ball is well & truly in our court.

Not up to other leagues, clubs to say what he's worth. They can try & test us with their cheap shite offers & until our club slap on a min price that is what will happen.

Up to our club to make the stand but they are playing the waiting game with that as the continued speculation & derisory offers that we keep refusing only adds to the hype & potential interest.

Comes a time where the club needs to say. £10m or stop wasting yours & our time

End of the day. We need to hold onto the 'he's the next Willie Miller/Alex McLiesh' chat as long as possible.

If he really was/had potential to be that kind of level for us then he is easily worth the £10m now.

He is easily the biggest/best asset the club has had for decades & as such will NOT be sold cheap.

I can think of 4 straight off the top of my head

Gordon, Hutton, Armstrong, Van Djke

Aye, I'd stop thinking off the top of your head then you fucking clown. Van Dick is not Scottish.

Anyhoo, I think the actual answer is 4 Scots. If you add Barry Ferguhun to that list. That is 4 players, over £6 million out of Scotland in the fucking entire history of the game. For the avoidance of doubt.

2 of those players are over £6 million by only around £1 million ffs but aye, Mckenna would almost double that and smash the record....If he sold for something mad like £12 million.

• Downvote 2

Aye, I'd stop thinking off the top of your head then you fucking clown. Van Dick is not Scottish.

Anyhoo, I think the actual answer is 4 Scots. If you add Barry Ferguhun to that list. That is 4 players, over £6 million out of Scotland in the fucking entire history of the game. For the avoidance of doubt.

2 of those players are over £6 million by only around £1 million ffs but aye, Mckenna would almost double that and smash the record....If he sold for something mad like £12 million.

But the transfer market now is inflated far in excess of what it was when these transfers were conducted. Therefore the comparison doesn't hold much weight.

• Upvote 2

Am I missing something?

Why would aberdeen choose to adhere to some valuation formula based on wages and other factors etc when there is no obligation for us to do so?

Yes, you are missing something. It's irrelevant what Aberdeen are adhering to. It's a market that deals in the value of a player based on many factors. Aberdeen may put a price on his head in terms of a transfer but it's a (potential) buying club that actually value the player and the marketS that dictate the price.

Aberdeen would need to replace Mckenna. Aberdeen operate in Scotland and buy players from Scotland and Englands lower leagues and these players are paid low wages and very low transfer fees (this is the Spfl transfer market outside Glasgow) and the transfer fee would reflect this. It's shite but that's how it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yes, you are missing something. It's irrelevant what Aberdeen are adhering to. It's a market that deals in the value of a player based on many factors. Aberdeen may put a price on his head in terms of a transfer but it's a (potential) buying club that actually value the player and the marketS that dictate the price.

Aberdeen would need to replace Mckenna. Aberdeen operate in Scotland and buy players from Scotland and Englands lower leagues and these players are paid low wages and very low transfer fees (this is the Spfl transfer market outside Glasgow) and the transfer fee would reflect this. It's shite but that's how it is.

Yadda yadda yadda

What a load of waffling shite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yeah, but it is up to AFC whether or not to accept the offer.

The point I was making was that teams can't force us to accept an offer just because they have calculated it to be equitable.

We should be building a team not flogging our best players.

Imagine how different things might have been if we had decided to flog Miller or McLeish for a few quid.

Hence why IMO it should take a stupid offer for us to sell.

EDIT: to avoid confusion I'm going on the assumption that we are not actively trying to sell Scott McKenna.

6m, honest question... does that not count as "silly offer"?

I don't know much about football finances but 6m does seem a lot of money.

That said if AFC decided to turn it down and mckenna stayed, then I'd be happy with that also (it's not as if he can walk away for nothing at the end of the season), as I'd worry about our ability to replace him, bearing that there would be 4 years worth of replacing to do given his contract.

TBH, (an whilst I appreciate I may have pickeoa few people up wrong), I'm more taking issue with people suggesting that other teams/ will dictate the price he goes for, when in reality the final say actually rests with AFC.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, but it is up to AFC whether or not to accept the offer.

The point I was making was that teams can't force us to accept an offer just because they have calculated it to be equitable.

We should be building a team not flogging our best players.

Imagine how different things might have been if we had decided to flog Miller or McLeish for a few quid.

Hence why IMO it should take a stupid offer for us to sell.

EDIT: to avoid confusion I'm going on the assumption that we are not actively trying to sell Scott McKenna.

I totally agree. The club should absolutely be the ones to decide to whom and for how much they sell players, if at all. I also would be pleased and very impressed if the board turned down an offer of say £6 million for any player. Can you even imagine saying that 4 or 5 years ago?! I hope Mckenna is here all season.

All I'm trying to put across is that there are far too many fans that just don't quite grasp how the real world of Scottish player transfers work. They seem to look at England, pick a number from there and hey presto....

Man City just signed today a young and highly rated defender from a Dutch prem club, Philippe Sandler. The lad is 21 and an international cap at that level. Man City paid £2.5 million for him.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I totally agree. The club should absolutely be the ones to decide to whom and for how much they sell players, if at all. I also would be pleased and very impressed if the board turned down an offer of say £6 million for any player. Can you even imagine saying that 4 or 5 years ago?! I hope Mckenna is here all season.

All I'm trying to put across is that there are far too many fans that just don't quite grasp how the real world of Scottish player transfers work. They seem to look at England, pick a number from there and hey presto....

Man City just signed today a young and highly rated defender from a Dutch prem club, Philippe Sandler. The lad is 21 and an international cap at that level. Man City paid £2.5 million for him.

How many years did he have left on his contract?

I agree

But that's why we won't get anywhere near 10m for him if he is still learning how to deal with the likes of Sam Vokes

I sort of agree with you here.

Thing is though your measuring him against an EPL striker.

And the going rate for a young EPL defender isn't £10m - it's more like £20m.

So £10m isn't THAT far fetched really (I think it's a bit more than we can get but hopefully if clubs come in for the lad we at least ask for something around that and see where it goes. £7m or 8m maybe achievable?

21 and full international

the same club also paid 47-50m for a 22 year old cb

equally irrelevant

Anyone saying that we'd likely bend over easily for a relatively low offer, needs to remember that we aren't forced into anything by the bank anymore. Be a good test to see if Stewarty and the board have gained some nous

Milne trusts McInnes to run the whole football club. It will be McInnes decision what deal is good for the club and what money he needs of the deal to improve the overall team.

It's against a shite, epl wise, striker though who when he came on changed the game

Sorry, but van dijk went for 12m and had excelled in the champs league and was a Dutch international

6m is doing well

Yep.

But Van Dijk deal was in a totally different market. EPL clubs have far more money now.

Just look at a club by club summary of the transfers completed so far. Loads of players being bought for 12-15m who are complete nobodies.

PS - we aren't really far apart in thinking. Your saying 6 would be good, I'm saying 7 or 8 would be good. Not much difference

Milne trusts McInnes to run the whole football club. It will be McInnes decision what deal is good for the club and what money he needs of the deal to improve the overall team.

If we get multi million pound offer for a player I'm certain Milne won't just leave that to McInnes.

It's too big a financial decision for the club to just let the football manager make alone.

If we get multi million pound offer for a player I'm certain Milne won't just leave that to McInnes.

It's too big a financial decision for the club to just let the football manager make alone.

He'll advise on what is a good deal and the pro/con of holding on to future transfer windows

Yeah, like V said. I agree that McInnes will have a lot of input, but for what's financially best for the club long term, I'd think the board (this board has been decent I'd say) will have the final say. It's definitely a better balance nowadays between the manager and the board, but we'll see.