The Fappening

dj_bollocks

Anyone else following this ?

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out - last night Twiiter and all gossip sites went mental as these photos (fake or not) were "leaked". Now everyone in Hollywood and loads of websites have shat themselves with the inevitable legal threat that has gone around.

The cat's out of the bag but it's going to be fascinating to see how it's going to play out. Will the stars manage to damage control it ? Will censorship win in the end ?

Oh and bewbs...

If they're not photoshopped pics but real, and taken from cloud sites, it's not really a matter of censorship, so much as it is invasion of privacy and theft, no?

That's not quite what I meant LGIR. The cloud sites aspect is a fascinating one, because no doubt Apple will have their T&C's absolutely watertight so as they're not liable (although their share price will undoubtedly take a hit). It's eerily prescient of The Sex Tape movie that's being promoted at the moment...

My point was more geared towards how you police the internet where something goes so viral so quickly that surely you can't threaten to prosecute everyone posting, linking to and distributing (and downloading) the pics. Like the record companies trying to sue illegal downloaders...

Mods better edit the title as (potentially NSFW) - what's also amusing but also quite sad is that the perpetrators of the leak (well the same website) started a #leakforJLaw hashtag encouraging solidarity for Jennifer Lawrence by posting your own topless pics… And of course a load of people are falling for it, thinking it's legit...

That's not quite what I meant LGIR. The cloud sites aspect is a fascinating one, because no doubt Apple will have their T&C's absolutely watertight so as they're not liable (although their share price will undoubtedly take a hit). It's eerily prescient of The Sex Tape movie that's being promoted at the moment...

My point was more geared towards how you police the internet where something goes so viral so quickly that surely you can't threaten to prosecute everyone posting, linking to and distributing (and downloading) the pics. Like the record companies trying to sue illegal downloaders...

Nope. I imagine the internet's halcyon days are long gone; it would have to be pretty much impossible to stop the widespread downloading of such "news" items.

It's an interesting one but I think the hacker and accomplice got cold feet. I spent a while on 4chan this morning not long after it all kicked off and the guy who dropped them all says his internet activity was being tracked etc. He's promised more but is clearly nervous I doubt there will be any more.

I happen to quite enjoy Jennifer Lawrence so I was interested despite the obvious infringements. Though it must be said, when has nude exposure ever been bad for a woman's career?