Shares

fine-n-dandy

Ah stocks and shares, another subject (like the universe one) I know little about.

Inform be Big Man, what's the scoop here then.

Prices are crashing and the FTSE is well down, so if you've got shares already, nae luck, but if you're buying, you've just got to wait (and predict) when it will bottoms out - and then buy - before it rises again? I know that much.

Do you keep a constant eye on it and then study who you're going to invest in? Keep your ear to the ground for some tips? or stab in the dark?

Ah stocks and shares, another subject (like the universe one) I know little about.

Prices are crashing and the FTSE is well down, so if you've got shares already, nae luck, but if you're buying, you've just got to wait (and predict) when it will bottoms out - and then buy - before it rises again? I know that much.

Do you keep a constant eye on it and then study who you're going to invest in? Keep your ear to the ground for some tips? or stab in the dark?

There is one theory that the stocks are all over the place as most of the big traders are off on hols and computers are making decisions.......... RBS are in the sh*t along with a lot of other banks, they are exposed to the Greek and other Eurozoners in trouble, reasonable punt but might be a long term , I think Glencore shows most potential

I don't know all that much about it either to be honest – its just something i learned about whilst i was at uni. I dabble now and again.

Aye, you've pretty much got it in one. FTSE was well down this morning, mainly banking shares (on account of their exposure to eurozone government debt) but there's been a massive recovery over lunch. Definitely pleased with glencore (solid buy), its up over 9% on when i bought it this morning and RBS has had all the bad news it can get this month (i hope). Barclays is a bit of a punt if im honest.

I've got Bloomberg on my iphone so i can check them whenever i like and work out profit and loss. Ive also got a notification thing set up with my broker, they inform me when there's price movements that are larger than i threshold i set – so no need to constantly check them really.

Just get stuck in is my advice, don't go trawling the internet for the next big thing – just buy what your gut tells you. That way you live and die by your own sword (can never complain about that).

My Advice For What Its Worth: Stick with volatile financial shares, they've been up and down like a whores drawers over the past 5 years. I must of bought and sold RBS about 8/9 times in the last 4 years - made money everytime.

I don’t know all that much about it either to be honest – its just something i learned about whilst i was at uni. I dabble now and again.

Aye, you’ve pretty much got it in one. FTSE was well down this morning, mainly banking shares (on account of their exposure to eurozone government debt) but there’s been a massive recovery over lunch. Definitely pleased with glencore (solid buy), its up over 9% on when i bought it this morning and RBS has had all the bad news it can get this month (i hope). Barclays is a bit of punt if im honest.

I've got Bloomberg on my iphone so i can check them whenever i like and work out profit and loss. Ive also got a notification thing set up with my broker, they inform me when there’s price movements that are larger than i threshold i set – so no need to constantly check them really.

Just get stuck in is my advice, don’t go trawling the internet for the next big thing – just buy what your gut tells you. That way you live and die by your own sword (can never complain about that).

How much you normally buy BM? £000'S £00'S ?

My Advice For What Its Worth: Stick with volatile financial shares, they've been up and down like a whores drawers over the past 5 year. I must of bought and sold RBS about 8/9 times in 4 years - made money everytime.

How much you normally buy BM? £000'S £00'S ?

I dabble occasionally, but its really about exploiting market imperfections, my mate makes around 5-10k a year (tax free) on the betting exchanges essentially doing the same thing

Aye, ive heard a few positive stories about the exchanges. I do like the security of actually owning the underlying asset though.

I see that william hill offer spread and fixed odds betting on the commodities markets now - could of made a killing on gold in the last month if i had the balls (or the money).

Scandal?

Stevie Wonder could see that coming.

My mate keeps banging on about GKP. He bought at 160 and they are now 110. Fool and his money are easily parted. Wouldn't touch an exploration company with a 10 foot barge pole.

I know - im just still bitter about it. I saw

Aye, ive heard a few positive stories about the exchanges. I do like the security of actually owning the underlying asset though.

I see that william hill offer spread and fixed odds betting on the commodities markets now - could of made a killing on gold in the last month if i had the balls (or the money).

Got to know a bit about horses, bit this is his usual game plan (there are others). Friday night study form, pick a horse he feels will come down in terms of odds, arrive at bookies prior to opening, horse starts day at 8/1 , bookie has to give first price, backs horse to win @ 8/1 with

Ah'm risk averse , me.

A penny saved is a penny earned. :P

And I believe that first and foremost , shares should be available to the workers who help create the wealth.....and then the general public after this.

London shares have recovered some of another catastrophic slump today as investors' panic over the prospect of world financial meltdown was calmed by some upbeat U.S. jobs data.

The US economy created 117,000 jobs in July, a better than expected outcome, and that dampened fears that the U.S. may be slipping back into recession.

The crucial data provided some mild relief to the biggest rout for world

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2022715/Stock-market-turmoil-London-shares-plunge-2-5-panic-grips-marke.html#ixzz1UA5AQb5h

Ah'm risk averse , me.

A penny saved is a penny earned. :P

And I believe that first and foremost , shares should be available to the workers who help create the wealth.....and then the general public after this.

London shares have recovered some of another catastrophic slump today as investors' panic over the prospect of world financial meltdown was calmed by some upbeat U.S. jobs data.

The US economy created 117,000 jobs in July, a better than expected outcome, and that dampened fears that the U.S. may be slipping back into recession.

The crucial data provided some mild relief to the biggest rout for world

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2022715/Stock-market-turmoil-London-shares-plunge-2-5-panic-grips-marke.html#ixzz1UA5AQb5h

I have shares in my company, but thats a different type of share that pays a dividend, assume the shares the guys are talking about are ones on open market

Where do you buy them anyway? Online or a broker?

I buy them online through my broker.

My bank, HBOS is my broker. Their commision is very reasonable, never had a problem with them.

Contactable by telephone day and night if you need them. Their market suite is very good lets you do all kinds of financial analysis, theirs adivce, stats, what all the other major brokers are recommending for a particular stock (buy, sell, hold), all kinds of useful things. You can buy equities, funds, bonds.

If your not interested in actually owning shares but still want to play the markets, google CMC Markets i used to use them when i was at uni - you can trade in contracts for difference (CFD's) which basically allows you to bet on whether a stock will go up or go down and profit if it does as if you owned it. You can also trade derivataves with them (read about derivitaves trading as it can help you to mitigate losses from your equity trading).

:thumbs:

Let me know how you get on (if you decide to get involved).

On the subject of HBOS if you've got money and prepared to ride it out LBG is safe as houses, limited exposure to European market, government funded, a lot of capital in the bank, the shares are ridiciolously low at 32p or so. My mate reckons their true price will rise to

Got to know a bit about horses, bit this is his usual game plan (there are others). Friday night study form, pick a horse he feels will come down in terms of odds, arrive at bookies prior to opening, horse starts day at 8/1 , bookie has to give first price, backs horse to win @ 8/1 with

Well, is now a good time to buy banking shares or such like ?

FTSE @ 4850.

How low can they go ?

Nae a good time to be selling EPK, thats for certain!

Thats a f**king disaster for me personally.

I had a lot of money set aside in a maxi isa to build an extension to my house, I went to my financial adviser earlier last week (just before the arse fell out of the market) to arrange cashing the whole lot in. The FTSE was lowish that day and my lot was worth a couple of grand less than it was days previous. 'Ach, I'll just sit on it until the FTSE goes back up to nearer 6000' I said. Big mistake. I may have to ride this out for a fair while now, shelving my extension plans. b*stard.

I bought more lloyds shares yesterday @ 33.6p and now they've broken their 52 week low and are trading @ 31.6p. RBS is trading @ 25p (set to break its 52 week low) and barclays is in terrible shape @165p - i havent seen trading conditions like this since the 2008 financial f/uck up.

Can it get much worse? Yes i imagine it probably can.

But even at the prices i went in at, these companies are a bargain (IMO).

10 years time, 6/7 times return on your money...

I bought more lloyds shares yesterday @ 33.6p and now they've broken their 52 week low and are trading @ 31.6p. RBS is trading @ 25p (set to break its 52 week low) and barclays is in terrible shape @165p - i havent seen trading conditions like this since the 2008 financial f/uck up.

Can it get much worse? Yes i imagine it probably can.

But even at the prices i went in at, these companies are a bargain (IMO).

10 years time, 6/7 times return on your money...

Considering buying in to RBS, just need to sort a few things out, also still thinking about a punt with amur minerals too.

• 2 years later...