Out Of Contract

Been thinking about the overall squad, and it's in pretty bad shape, especially when Shinnie and GMS leave in the summer.

I'd expect we'll punt McKenna for some money too (and wouldn't be surprised to see Shaughnessey brought in on a free as replacement).

But with the amount of loans we have we're really going to have to make some quality signings to improve for next season or really put the faith in youth.

With GMS, Shinnie, McKenna all probably leaving.  That's the loss of three key first team players, all on big money.  Add to that, other big earners including; Forrester, Tansey, Wilson, Reynolds, all likely to depart, or already departed at xmas... that is a huge reduction in our wage budget. A serious amount of money is going to be available, unless we plan on downsizing...  If McInnes does intend to stay on, hopefully he is already at an advanced stage, in terms of planning for the summer recruitment.

Hopefully McInnes has more luck than the previous summer... a repeat of the summer transfer window and we're probably facing up to the bottom six next season!

Lolx2

How do you see the McKenna money being spent @@Millertime?  I reckon AllyDon won't be far off the mark!

The amount we will get is obviously a major factor

I honestly believe he has regressed and talk of 7m plus now is pie in the sky

Having said that, if we got 5m I would expect 50pc at least ploughed into the team

He's still learning the game - and he'll learn more from some of the tough times he's experienced of late.  22 year old centre halves are going to have ups & downs... it's part of the development process.

As a centre half, he's maybe 5 years, or so, away from reaching his prime.  There are clubs down south who'll believe he has all the attributes to develop into a top player - it's an investment, as well as buying a player who I certainly believe could do a great job in the championship right now.

We'll still get good money for him...

Agree with you on the return tho... I don't see us getting any cash to buy players.  Not with a new stadium to pay for...

• Upvote 1

The amount we will get is obviously a major factor

I honestly believe he has regressed and talk of 7m plus now is pie in the sky

Having said that, if we got 5m I would expect 50pc at least ploughed into the team

I absolutely concur he has regressed to the point where we ain't getting anywhere near £7million ( perhaps if he spent less time suspended his form might return).

However if you seriously think that if we got £5million that DM would get half to invest in the team then you're either on the wind up or batshit crazy. He would get a million at most and I think that would be to buy one player at around the £300k mark whilst continuing our policy of signing free transfers. The rest would go on making the wages we pay at the top end a bit more attractive...possibly trying to tempt Lewis into extending his contract for example.

Every penny above that million would be going straight into paying for the stadium. And it's absolutely the correct thing to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't expect us to use a significant chunk of any fee for McKenna on players. I'd hope the vast, vast majority would go towards the stadium fund. This will mean that our playing budget in future years suffers less due to the stadium project.

McKenna's value is plummeting every home game we play.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I absolutely concur he has regressed to the point where we ain't getting anywhere near £7million ( perhaps if he spent less time suspended his form might return).

However if you seriously think that if we got £5million that DM would get half to invest in the team then you're either on the wind up or batshit crazy. He would get a million at most and I think that would be to buy one player at around the £300k mark whilst continuing our policy of signing free transfers. The rest would go on making the wages we pay at the top end a bit more attractive...possibly trying to tempt Lewis into extending his contract for example.

Every penny above that million would be going straight into paying for the stadium. And it's absolutely the correct thing to do.

I'd go with the batshit crazy.

50% :hysterical:

• Upvote 1

He's still learning the game - and he'll learn more from some of the tough times he's experienced of late. 22 year old centre halves are going to have ups & downs... it's part of the development process.

As a centre half, he's maybe 5 years, or so, away from reaching his prime. There are clubs down south who'll believe he has all the attributes to develop into a top player - it's an investment, as well as buying a player who I certainly believe could do a great job in the championship right now.

We'll still get good money for him...

Agree with you on the return tho... I don't see us getting any cash to buy players. Not with a new stadium to pay for...

If McKenna was at Celtic he would easily be worth what they got for VVD.

So we can knock a bout 25% off for the fact he's 'just' an Aberdeen player.

Let's not ignore the fact they were willing to pay us more for McKenna than they paid for VVD. That in itself should tell you they see his value, as they have a pretty good recent record of profiting from young players they buy.

I still maintain that VVD was NO better than McKenna in his time at Celtic.

Made just as many errors, as you would expect from a young defender learning the game. He probably made more mistakes but he hid a good few of them by scoring a few goals

If McKenna was at Celtic he would easily be worth what they got for VVD.

So we can knock a bout 25% off for the fact he's 'just' an Aberdeen player.

Let's not ignore the fact they were willing to pay us more for McKenna than they paid for VVD. That in itself should tell you they see his value, as they have a pretty good recent record of profiting from young players they buy.

I still maintain that VVD was NO better than McKenna in his time at Celtic.

Made just as many errors, as you would expect from a young defender learning the game. He probably made more mistakes but he hid a good few of them by scoring a few goals

Come on min.

Vvd strolled it up here.

Can't agree. VVD might have been a bit rough around the edges in his spell at the Paedodome but his talent was obvious, only surprise to me was him going to Southampton but was obvious he was using them as a stepping stone to bigger things. Can see a really big European side bidding for him in the summer especially if Liverpool don't win the league

Can't agree. VVD might have been a bit rough around the edges in his spell at the Paedodome but his talent was obvious, only surprise to me was him going to Southampton but was obvious he was using them as a stepping stone to bigger things. Can see a really big European side bidding for him in the summer especially if Liverpool don't win the league

Fast powerful but very prone to fk ups & especially in lapses of concentration.

He has dark skin though & is foreign so that adds to the appeal I guess.

Just ask yourself why Celtic were willing to pay more for McKenna than they did for VVD. Yes the market has increased a bit in a few years but they see him as a very similar level & certainly a profit making player.

Because they knew they could easily sell him on for massive profit. That s their way.

McKenna is as good now as VVD was at Celtic. The fact he was at Celtic made life easier for VVD. Just as it would for McKenna.

VVD was still very young & raw. Just as McKenna is now. THAT is what clubs are willing to spend on. They see the basics required are there & at such young age, they believe they can train them into a far better version of the current player

I think a lot of people are blinkered into seeing the player VVD is now & are forgetting just how often he was caught out (even against the diddy sides) at Celtic.

I'm not saying McKenna will eventually turn out as good as VVD but he is on a parr with how good he WAS at Celtic, especially when they signed him & he is only going to improve & will be sold on that improvements potentially mostly.

McKenna will not be sold cheap. He is a massive asset. Much as the likes of Morontime hate the idea of a young northerner breaking Scottish transfer records & proving him wrong.

Edit.. & the sooner/younger his interested teams can get him the better for them, as they will want to train him to THEIR best potential rather than some wee Scottish teams poor methods. Price is going up the more interest & more they want him asap. They already know they won't get him on the cheap

I think a lot of people are blinkered into seeing the player VVD is now & are forgetting just how often he was caught out (even against the diddy sides) at Celtic.

I'm not saying McKenna will eventually turn out as good as VVD but he is on a parr with how good he WAS at Celtic, especially when they signed him & he is only going to improve & will be sold on that improvements potentially mostly.

McKenna will not be sold cheap. He is a massive asset. Much as the likes of Morontime hate the idea of a young northerner breaking Scottish transfer records & proving him wrong.

Edit.. & the sooner/younger his interested teams can get him the better for them, as they will want to train him to THEIR best potential rather than some wee Scottish teams poor methods. Price is going up the more interest & more they want him asap. They already know they won't get him on the cheap

McKenna has hit a pretty sticky patch the last couple of months or so. How he gets through this will determine how good a player he's going to be.

Having a boring night FnD? Constant fishing for McKenna /VVD bites is tragic.

Not fishing at all. McKenna is very good & with MASSIVE potential. Exactly like VVD was when Celtic signed him.

Of course he makes mistakes. Tell me one great defender that didn't when he was LEARNING his game.

Too many, too quick to automatically write off. FIRSTLY him being a country bumpkin & SECONDLY the fact he is just Scottish.

Give him a tan & a foreign accent & he would be the new VVD even through the biased weegie twats eyes.

VVD was just as raw when Celtic signed him. That is exactly why they were willing to pay £3m for McKenna also.

With McKenna I think Celtic would be more looking for a long term Scottish signing, rather than one of the foreign type players they’re looking to put in the shop window and increase their value, similar to Scott Brown. However, they’re not stupid when it comes to most players valuations and know they could make money.

Strolled it apart from those games Peter Pawlett absolutely roasted him

There were doubtless other games too. It's easy to be revisionist. VVD was far from flawless up here. Denayer was always the more composed and solid looking, although not as good on the ball.

As much as I hate to admit it, F'n'D and Parklife have made some good points.

Denayer was always the more effective player... but VVD always had the impressive attributes. You could tell that, if he brought things together, he'd be some player.  Maybe a little like Devlin/McKenna situation (Devlin prior to his injury - he's been honking since he came back!)