#121 OFFLINE   ericblack4boss

ericblack4boss

My name is Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts
  • Joined 17-February 08

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:21 PM

He didn't need to acknowledge being inducted into the club HOF or do the interview. But he did. And he talked very positively about his time at the club, his ex teammates, Fergie etc. Which blows the theory out the water that some have that he always disses the club. Despite him being a cunt at times he quite clearly doesn't.

When Gary Caldwell was appointed manager at Wigan, he called up Strachan to ask for his advice, and Strachan said first thing to do is " get rid of that bastard Black"
A MAN OF THE DON, IS WORTH TWO OF THE DEE!

#122 OFFLINE   Shinniesta

Shinniesta

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Joined 10-March 17

Posted 17 May 2020 - 02:54 PM

When Gary Caldwell was appointed manager at Wigan, he called up Strachan to ask for his advice, and Strachan said first thing to do is " get rid of that bastard Black"

So what? Some players just don't get on it happens at every club. Look at Man United in their glory years Keane and Schmeichel hated each other and still don't speak. Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham also detested each other and ignored each other off the park. Didn't stop them winning the treble.

#123 OFFLINE   ericblack4boss

ericblack4boss

My name is Brian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,305 posts
  • Joined 17-February 08

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:46 PM

I'm nae having the messiah spoken about like that!
A MAN OF THE DON, IS WORTH TWO OF THE DEE!

#124 OFFLINE   Shinniesta

Shinniesta

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Joined 10-March 17

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:59 PM

I'm nae having the messiah spoken about like that!

Fergie and Strachan have said a lot worse about each other in the past to be fair. But they eventually put it behind them. I'm sure Strachan and Black will be fine the next time they are in each other's company.

Winners are sometimes cunts. Give me guys like that for AFC all day long.

#125 OFFLINE   Studebaker-90

Studebaker-90

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,043 posts
  • Joined 09-May 18

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:09 PM

Would be better if he had swapped bastard and black

#126 OFFLINE   elephantstone78

elephantstone78

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,767 posts
  • Joined 03-February 13

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

The goal over his head, was it this one for Scotland?

https://youtu.be/mqayD8IdVys

Or this one against Celtic

https://youtu.be/QFhbeK_vu2M

PS the quality of the goals in the 82-83 season was fantastic.

One of the you tube clips in there is a 6-0 home loss to Celtic in 99-00 season. Followed on from 5-0 and 7-0 drubbings in the two previous games against them that season. 0-18 GD in 3 games was quite something. Fair to say our defence wasn’t up to much.
Must have been about that time we lost lcf to them 2-0 and my feeling was one of mild relief that we didn’t get an absolute doing.

#127 OFFLINE   WesthillWanderersFC

WesthillWanderersFC

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Joined 04-October 19

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:55 PM

One of the you tube clips in there is a 6-0 home loss to Celtic in 99-00 season. Followed on from 5-0 and 7-0 drubbings in the two previous games against them that season. 0-18 GD in 3 games was quite something. Fair to say our defence wasn’t up to much.
Must have been about that time we lost lcf to them 2-0 and my feeling was one of mild relief that we didn’t get an absolute doing.

It was close to then that we lost 6-1 .... to Livingston... at home.
A horrendous time to be a Dons fan.

Edit - it was 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.u...cup/1587674.stm

Edited by WesthillWanderersFC, 17 May 2020 - 04:56 PM.

#128 OFFLINE   Bad_Mobby

Bad_Mobby

Jon Bon Stovie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,083 posts
  • Joined 06-October 11

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:22 AM

Was at all those games

What a time to be a dons fan

TPFKATGLA 

#129 OFFLINE   strachanmcgheegoal

strachanmcgheegoal

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:18 AM

It was close to then that we lost 6-1 .... to Livingston... at home.
A horrendous time to be a Dons fan.

Edit - it was 2001.

http://news.bbc.co.u...cup/1587674.stm

You’ve to watch that Livingston result though as there was another around the same time, maybe slightly earlier?. 0-5 maybe. I remember standing up At the first one and saying almost apologetically to the guy next to me “these cunts are just taking the piss.” And they were. From Ferguson’s heyday, the porter field experiment, Smiffys role in shattering the win in Glasgow theory (albeit the hun challenge was a markedly different one by then) through to Livingston scudding us at home and the players not appearing to give a monkeys arse.

#130 OFFLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted 19 May 2020 - 03:14 PM

The 9-0 was the ultimate belter, I turned to my mate after 25 minutes and said at least we’ve made it to 25 minutes. At that exact moment they scored.

Langfield got man of the match. Younger posters should take note at how bad it was.

http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/9161840.stm

Edited by Fridge, 19 May 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#131 OFFLINE   Ernie McCracken

Ernie McCracken

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts
  • Joined 19-January 06

Posted 19 May 2020 - 04:42 PM

The 9-0 was the ultimate belter, I turned to my mate after 25 minutes and said at least we’ve made it to 25 minutes. At that exact moment they scored.

Langfield got man of the match. Younger posters should take note at how bad it was.

http://news.bbc.co.u...rem/9161840.stm

Langfield got man of the match!!!!!

Yet according to the BBC stats Celtic has 8 shots on target. Which means every single shot on target was a goal + 1 own goal.
Bryce, I gotta get bigger man

#132 OFFLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted 19 May 2020 - 05:25 PM

Yet according to the BBC stats Celtic has 8 shots on target. Which means every single shot on target was a goal + 1 own goal.

Actually I may stand corrected on this one. It was Preece during this utter shambles. Prick never did pay for his Big Mac. Think Winters did. Certainly wasn’t me.

http://news.bbc.co.u...and/1693317.stm

#133 OFFLINE   Chewie37

Chewie37

Wookie

• Members
  • 13,747 posts
  • Joined 03-July 14

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:12 AM

Surely the worst part is we were only a man down for about 10-15 minutes? 

I've moved to California

#134 OFFLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 35,928 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:20 PM

Hicham Zerouali? Why is he even being considered worth mentioning in a conversation about legends. He was in and out of one of the worst Aberdeen teams of all time.... when he did play, bar a few outrageous moments of skill, he was very often a passenger or flattered to deceive. Kiddies and fan boys loved him - he was undoubtedly a cult-hero - but anyone with a half a brain could see him for what he was. He should have been approaching his peak when he left us, but couldn't get another contract in Europe and ended up bouncing around no-mark clubs in the middle east and morocco. Reminded me a lot of that futsal player that played for Dundee and Dunfermline recently... capable of lighting up a match with a brilliant moment, but ultimately lacking in substance and not cut out for career as pro-footballer at the highest level.

It annoys me when folk compare Zero to the likes of Jess. Someone who was not only a class act (even second time around), but also gave every ounce to the cause. I remember glancing over at Jess, every time Jamie McAllister shanked an attempted clearance into the stands. You could tell from the expression on his face, that it was killing him. Zero, on the other hand, looked like he couldn't give a fuck most weeks and was quite rightfully on the bench most of the time. A player you certainly wouldn't want next to you in the trenches.

Utter, utter bullshit you clown

He was torpedoing balls off the dugout during the winters final because ebbe had him on the bench

That's caring

#135 OFFLINE   Fridge

Fridge

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,146 posts
  • Joined 08-October 18

Posted 22 May 2020 - 06:48 PM

Come on MT, I always give you the benefit of the doubt but you are completely wrong here.

I used to go for a pint with Zero (he didn’t drink) but was always out with Mayer, Winters and Preece on Monday nights (they fucking all did drink like fuck) Still fucking really saddens me he is gone but they all used to joke that he was a showman ( and on his day was fantastic) but not a team player.

Not in away comparable to Jess. Can’t think of any players post the glory years better than Jess, possibly Hignett for the 4 games or whatever he played and raped us for cash.

#136 OFFLINE   Simply Red

Simply Red

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Joined 04-June 19

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

Was at all those games

What a time to be a dons fan

Me too. Season ticket in them days. Horrific

#137 OFFLINE   redone

redone

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Joined 18-November 06

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:52 PM

You’ve to watch that Livingston result though as there was another around the same time, maybe slightly earlier?. 0-5 maybe. I remember standing up At the first one and saying almost apologetically to the guy next to me “these cunts are just taking the piss.” And they were. From Ferguson’s heyday, the porter field experiment, Smiffys role in shattering the win in Glasgow theory (albeit the hun challenge was a markedly different one by then) through to Livingston scudding us at home and the players not appearing to give a monkeys arse.

Are you meaning another heavy home loss to Livvy ? If so , it can only be the 3-nil New Year game which was in the same season a few months after the 6-1 game.

And both of these defeats were very much out of the blue. The 6-1 came after we’d won 5 out of the 7 previous games , the only loss in that run being a respectable 2-nil away to the tims (possibly the game when Ebbe said afterwards that the operation was a success but the patient still died)

And the 3–nil game was the first home game after the legendary sna’ba game just before Christmas when we beat the almost invincible tims 2-nil ....which was our 9 in a row ....home league wins.

My memory of the 3-nil game against Livvy was mainly that we hardly laid a glove on them , and that we were all brought crashing back down to earth after the high of beating the tims. But you must’ve been a right moaning cunt if you made that sort of comment after Livvy scored their first.

#138 OFFLINE   Zeus

Zeus

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:58 PM

Me too. Season ticket in them days. Horrific

99-00 was my first season as a season ticket holder. 0-5 first game of season vs the Papes.

Reeled in by the glamour of Ebbe.

#139 OFFLINE   redone

redone

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • Joined 18-November 06

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:18 PM

Back on topic , it’ll take a lot more than any of our genuine legends being reluctant to join in Gothenburg Anniversary events ,signing for either of the Ugly Sisters or even any of them slagging AFC or the fans to tarnish my memories of the glory days.

Without their contribution back in the day there wouldn’t be any Gothenburg to remember. Or League titles and Cups.

#140 OFFLINE   Millertime

Millertime

Chairman

• Members
  • 35,928 posts
  • Joined 14-January 06

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:16 PM

Edited by Millertime, 22 May 2020 - 10:53 PM.

#141 OFFLINE   Dad

Dad

RIP

• Members
  • 21,106 posts
  • Joined 31-January 16

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:53 AM

Well lookeh hee-ah - we gots ahsels a yellah belleh ^
I have died alas

Ah no

#142 OFFLINE   alscotoz

alscotoz

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,446 posts
  • Joined 05-August 11

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:06 AM

Back on topic , it’ll take a lot more than any of our genuine legends being reluctant to join in Gothenburg Anniversary events ,signing for either of the Ugly Sisters or even any of them slagging AFC or the fans to tarnish my memories of the glory days.

Without their contribution back in the day there wouldn’t be any Gothenburg to remember. Or League titles and Cups.

Argue against that.

Never argue with an I D I O T . They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#143 OFFLINE   Shinniesta

Shinniesta

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Joined 10-March 17

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:47 AM

Exactly. As I've said before give me a winner that is a damn good footballer but a bit of a cunt personality wise over a lesser player who accepts defeat a bit too easily but is a nice guy who everyone likes.

In other words give me a Gordon Strachan over a Mark Reynolds any day of the week.

#144 OFFLINE   strachanmcgheegoal

strachanmcgheegoal

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11

Posted 23 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

Are you meaning another heavy home loss to Livvy ? If so , it can only be the 3-nil New Year game which was in the same season a few months after the 6-1 game.

And both of these defeats were very much out of the blue. The 6-1 came after we’d won 5 out of the 7 previous games , the only loss in that run being a respectable 2-nil away to the tims (possibly the game when Ebbe said afterwards that the operation was a success but the patient still died)

And the 3–nil game was the first home game after the legendary sna’ba game just before Christmas when we beat the almost invincible tims 2-nil ....which was our 9 in a row ....home league wins.

My memory of the 3-nil game against Livvy was mainly that we hardly laid a glove on them , and that we were all brought crashing back down to earth after the high of beating the tims. But you must’ve been a right moaning cunt if you made that sort of comment after Livvy scored their first.

To give you the courtesy of a reply given your research on my behalf. Looking back I think the taking the piss comment was actually the cup tie in 99. I see they only won 1-0 but, if it’s the game I’m thinking of, it was 1 going on several. I’m not the type that will chuck my season book to a 3-0 Livvie defeat if we just beat the Tims the week before. The 5-0 (?) to St J recently is a good example. Boys around me going mental but we were top of the league on the end of a what, 12 game win run?

Credit on one point though. I am indeed a right moaning cunt. Proud of it.

But thank you. Never been on that AFC heritage site before. Enjoying (most of) the memories.

#145 OFFLINE   strachanmcgheegoal

strachanmcgheegoal

Director of Football

• Members
  • 10,942 posts
  • Joined 29-September 11

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:03 PM

Exactly. As I've said before give me a winner that is a damn good footballer but a bit of a cunt personality wise over a lesser player who accepts defeat a bit too easily but is a nice guy who everyone likes.

In other words give me a Gordon Strachan over a Mark Reynolds any day of the week.

This^^^. And that’s not a dig at Reynolds. There’s been a lot more worse than him

#146 OFFLINE   Shinniesta

Shinniesta

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Joined 10-March 17

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:33 PM

This^^^. And that’s not a dig at Reynolds. There’s been a lot more worse than him

That's exactly why I mentioned Reynolds. A good solid professional who always speaks well of the club, was well liked by the fans and his teammates. He's still well respected by most AFC fans. A genuine nice guy. He was a good player but not good enough for us to challenge Celtic.

I will always reserve the most respect for the players we had that not only challenged Celtic and Rangers but conquered both them and europe. A few fall outs or comments here and there after they left is water off a ducks back to me after the glory they brought to the club in their time here. An awful lot of footballers are arrogant cunts. But at one point we had a bunch of arrogant cunts that were the best in europe.

#147 OFFLINE   laichomoray

laichomoray

Good Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined 18-May 20

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:06 PM

Agree with the above.Could be a mellowing with age thing,but Mcghee being a twat post Dons pales to insignificance V what he did for us during his time here.Why he would want to be a twat with us after what should have been the highest points in his career,(even if he wasn't a Dons fan),will remain a mystery,but I don't allow it to bother me,crack on Mark,water off a ducks back

Edited by laichomoray, 23 May 2020 - 02:31 PM.

#148 OFFLINE   aberdeen1970

aberdeen1970

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts
  • Joined 19-May 17

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:26 PM

You just keep things separate

McGhee the player - legend
McGhee the manager - useless
McGhee the man - cunt

Simples

#149 OFFLINE   muttonhumper

muttonhumper

1st Team Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,215 posts
  • Joined 06-October 05

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:31 PM

On the way back from Stadium at Olomouc to town centre, we saw a hotel with AFC bus outside.

Curious, we wandered in. 2 Dons fans and one Dundee fan on a jolly, but one who cares for the Dons.

McGhee was sitting on a settee directly across from a quite moderate reception area, circular in form,

His spiel was "I'll fix it lads, don't worry". He seemed fine as far as I could tell after 40 Czech beers.
By fine I mean approachable and accomodating.
Unfortunate part being he fixed things worse. 

Pardon my grammar.

His words did not assure us much,
Hence subsequent hoovering of absinthe via straws and nostrils within half an hour of this.

Awa n' tak a gnash o' mi bulb

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users