#1501 OFFLINE   slippers

slippers

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  • Joined 19-June 07

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

Everton paid 50m for Richardson! Would say Fraser is easily worth 35-40m. His contract situation would be the real worry.

#1502 OFFLINE   Zeus

Zeus

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,990 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:05 PM

Everton paid 50m for Richardson! Would say Fraser is easily worth 35-40m. His contract situation would be the real worry.

Rico's done arite for himself

#1503 OFFLINE   Ten Caat

Ten Caat

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • Joined 05-December 17

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:39 PM

Theoretically, IF we got a combined £10 million from McKenna and Fraser deals, and IF it was reinvested in the playing squad, would we end up with a “better” team with for example 10 one million pound players?

Problem with that is that they would all demand wages commensurate with being million pound players.

We know our average wage for the whole club (players/management/ office staff/ stewards etc) is about £2650 per employee per week. The office staff, stewards, young loons in the under 18s will all be on national minimum wage or not a lot more. So  a good whack of our first team squad will be on significantly more than the average.....£4-5k/week in a lot of cases.

But million pound players will be expecting a bit more than that.  £5k/week is routinely bettered in EFL1. I'd guess that a million pound player would be looking for £7.5-10k/week minimum which would blow our current wage structure right out the window. Even at the lower figure, 10 players on £7.5/week puts nearly £4million a year on our wages....over a 3 year contract thats £12 million so we would need an actual investment of £22 million to afford the 10 players!

#1504 OFFLINE   Millerdon

Millerdon

S-Form

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:11 AM

My scenario was too simplistic, but in general could we have a better team if we sold McKenna and reinvested the money (along with any windfall from resale of Fraser), and reinvest in the best of young Scottish talent for example?

#1505 OFFLINE   fine-n-dandy

fine-n-dandy

Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,260 posts
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:06 AM

Problem with that is that they would all demand wages commensurate with being million pound players.

We know our average wage for the whole club (players/management/ office staff/ stewards etc) is about £2650 per employee per week. The office staff, stewards, young loons in the under 18s will all be on national minimum wage or not a lot more. So  a good whack of our first team squad will be on significantly more than the average.....£4-5k/week in a lot of cases.

But million pound players will be expecting a bit more than that.  £5k/week is routinely bettered in EFL1. I'd guess that a million pound player would be looking for £7.5-10k/week minimum which would blow our current wage structure right out the window. Even at the lower figure, 10 players on £7.5/week puts nearly £4million a year on our wages....over a 3 year contract thats £12 million so we would need an actual investment of £22 million to afford the 10 players!

Before accounting for inflation that's a whopping £120m over 30 years on wages. A staggering £360m over 90 years. I don't think I will leave to see that.

Ding Dong

#1506 OFFLINE   Chewie37

Chewie37

Wookie

• Members
  • 11,507 posts
  • Joined 03-July 14

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:09 AM

My scenario was too simplistic, but in general could we have a better team if we sold McKenna and reinvested the money (along with any windfall from resale of Fraser), and reinvest in the best of young Scottish talent for example?

Imagine your scenario where we spent a big wedge of money on the team and we gambled on winning the league and then qualified for the Champions League........(.like Copenhagen did after we beat them) sounds good to me ;)
I've moved to California

#1507 ONLINE   Sonoftherock

Sonoftherock

Director of Football

• Moderators
  • 12,391 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:11 AM

I imagine there will be a small portion allocated to finding a replacement.

We've not secured any funding, as yet, for a project that will cost us upwards of GBP 30M...As someone else said, the McKenna money will be spent on the new stadium.

"Whenever I'm in Edinburgh I roll with the T.Y.T (Tollcross Young Team)" - Romeo, So Solid Crew

#1508 OFFLINE   The Boofon

The Boofon

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,092 posts
  • Joined 15-July 07

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:27 AM

Buy Fraser for 20 million and get the 4 million back. Great deal. We get a 20 million player for 16 million. Sell the cunt in the summer for 30 million.

#1509 OFFLINE   HairyPie

HairyPie

Stinky Finger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Joined 08-July 16

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:44 AM

Buy Fraser for 20 million and get the 4 million back. Great deal. We get a 20 million player for 16 million. Sell the cunt in the summer for 30 million.

Top Arithmetic Boofter, have a +1.

#1510 OFFLINE   The Boofon

The Boofon

Chairman

• Members
  • 27,092 posts
  • Joined 15-July 07

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:12 AM

I assume from this that it’s not a 20% sell on clause and some other percentage. :laughing:

Same rules apply for other percentages.

It’s a no brainer IMO.

#1511 OFFLINE   Chewie37

Chewie37

Wookie

• Members
  • 11,507 posts
  • Joined 03-July 14

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:22 AM

With an even bigger sell on clause........genius
I've moved to California

#1512 OFFLINE   Torry Tosser

Torry Tosser

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Joined 03-December 16

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:05 AM

Stewart on his way back to us?

#1513 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

So Hibs get Gauld and we get G-Stew.  Not sure how happy I am with that.

#1514 OFFLINE   Poodler

Poodler

Director of Football

• Members
  • 14,675 posts
  • Joined 21-February 11

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:45 AM

So Hibs get Gauld and we get G-Stew. Not sure how happy I am with that.

Surely based on this season, we would have the better deal? Should it happen.

Of course, Stewart under McI will be limited and played out of position and early season form will count for nothing. Should it happen.

#1515 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:59 AM

Surely based on this season, we would have the better deal? Should it happen.

Of course, Stewart under McI will be limited and played out of position and early season form will count for nothing. Should it happen.

Kinda what I was thinking.  G-Stew looking decent, but we had him with us and he was mismanaged (admittedly unfit initially).  If he comes back might it not be more of the same?

Can't see us playing him where he needs to play.

#1516 ONLINE   Sonoftherock

Sonoftherock

Director of Football

• Moderators
  • 12,391 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:03 AM

Kinda what I was thinking. G-Stew looking decent, but we had him with us and he was mismanaged (admittedly unfit initially). If he comes back might it not be more of the same?

Can't see us playing him where he needs to play.

He plays upfront at Kilmarnock, with sort of a free role.... Maybe McInnes thinking about playing him in the area Stevie May has been occupying? Partnering Cozzie upfront. Cozzie as the target man and G-Stew trawling the channels, or dropping deep to pick-up up the ball and run at defenders? We'd lose out on May's work rate.... but probably not a lot more. G-Stew is a far superior footballer when fit and interested... 

I think there is no point signing him unless McInnes is prepared to allow him some freedom.  Playing him on the wing, or CM, and asking him to track back and tackle is not going to work - square pegs and round holes.

"Whenever I'm in Edinburgh I roll with the T.Y.T (Tollcross Young Team)" - Romeo, So Solid Crew

#1517 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:12 AM

He plays upfront at Kilmarnock, with sort of a free role.... Maybe McInnes thinking about playing him in the area Stevie May has been occupying? Partnering Cozzie upfront. Cozzie as the target man and G-Stew trawling the channels, or dropping deep to pick-up up the ball and run at defenders? We'd lose out on May's work rate.... but probably not a lot more. G-Stew is a far superior footballer when fit and interested...

I'd rather leave May in the role (given we paid money for him) and let him find his shooting boots to be honest.  Stevie May at his peak is a better footballer than G-Stew, although I agree at the moment that G-Stew is  the better of the 2 on current form.

I'd rather see creative midfield brought in and not mess about with the current front 2 though, as for whatever reason they seem to be creating goals.

#1518 ONLINE   Sonoftherock

Sonoftherock

Director of Football

• Moderators
  • 12,391 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:29 AM

I'd rather leave May in the role (given we paid money for him) and let him find his shooting boots to be honest.  Stevie May at his peak is a better footballer than G-Stew, although I agree at the moment that G-Stew is  the better of the 2 on current form.

I'd rather see creative midfield brought in and not mess about with the current front 2 though, as for whatever reason they seem to be creating goals.

Yeah, I see what you are saying... but McInnes maybe looking at another option here.  Although you'd imagine if we're paying for him, he's coming to start (although Forrester says differently!!).

We're not going to get peak Stevie May back I'm afraid.  He's had a double knee construction in England.  I do appreciate the way he's worked to reinvent himself as a hardworking forward - but he lacks the quality in the final third, in front of goal that Stewart has.  May has lost his explosiveness in and around the box, that used to make him so dangerous at Saints.

I just feel we badly need a maverick/wild card.  I'm still not 100% McInnes will know how to get the best out of said player though...

#1519 ONLINE   Dad

Dad

Old cunt

• Members
  • 13,807 posts
  • Joined 31-January 16

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:32 AM

Here - Stevie May is/was not a better footballer than G-Stew.

Come on now.
Dad ate my gerbil

#1520 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:04 AM

Here - Stevie May is/was not a better footballer than G-Stew.

Come on now.

Stevie May circa 2015 > G-Stew ever....in my opinion.

G-Stew may conceivably have been better in terms of classical technique and passing drills etc. but the 2015 vintage of Stevie May for me every time on a football field.

Both were good in that period, but I can recall thinking "Oh no Stevie May" when we played Saints, but never can I recall thinking, Oh No, G-Stew when we played Dundee (not in advance at least).

#1521 ONLINE   Sonoftherock

Sonoftherock

Director of Football

• Moderators
  • 12,391 posts
  • Joined 07-October 05

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:11 AM

G-Stew may conceivably have been better in terms of classical technique and passing drills etc. but the 2015 vintage of Stevie May for me every time on a football field.

Both were good in that period, but I can recall thinking "Oh no Stevie May" when we played Saints, but never can I recall thinking, Oh No, G-Stew when we played Dundee (not in advance at least).

G-Stew put up some big numbers in consecutive seasons at Dundee.  Someone will probably correct me on this, but i believe he went double figures for both goals and assists in consecutive seasons at Dundee (14/15 & 15/16).  He had a pretty good thing going with Hemmings at the time.... 

#1522 ONLINE   Dad

Dad

Old cunt

• Members
  • 13,807 posts
  • Joined 31-January 16

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

You say potato I say potato son
Dad ate my gerbil

#1523 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

You say potato I say potato son

Tattie circa 1983 will always be better than both of them.

#1524 ONLINE   Dad

Dad

Old cunt

• Members
  • 13,807 posts
  • Joined 31-January 16

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:20 AM

Of course son... But here G-Stew is a terrific addition; don't let G-Stews first spell put you off - up to speed and no mistake the young hero is.
Dad ate my gerbil

#1525 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

Stewart could never do the same role as May is just now. Just wouldn't put in the work. Sure he's an option but the team would have to play differently with Stewart upfront.

#1526 OFFLINE   redstrummer

redstrummer

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,666 posts
  • Joined 31-May 11

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

Stewart could never do the same role as May is just now. Just wouldn't put in the work. Sure he's an option but the team would have to play differently with Stewart upfront.

Well he's been doing it for Kilmarnock pretty well

#1527 OFFLINE   BWG

BWG

FTH

• Members
  • 11,422 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:48 AM

May runs around a lot and doesn't score.  Stewart doesn't run around a lot and scores.  We'll play him at left back.

#1528 OFFLINE   old sheep

old sheep

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • Joined 30-March 14

That's the reason I don't see McInnes signing Stewart. If he does, he has to play him just off the striker and in a purely attacking sense. That goes against what McInnes has done with every No10 we have had in his time. Either McInnes has had a change of thought or we are heading for 60 minutes of May graft followed by 30 minutes of hoping Stewart shows a glimpse of magic to win a game. Just don't see McInnes starting with 4 out and out attacking players.

#1529 OFFLINE   DelMonte

DelMonte

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,589 posts
  • Joined 07-August 15

Nope he hasn't actually. Same position, different role.

#1530 OFFLINE   SheepieBaaBaa

SheepieBaaBaa

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,618 posts
  • Joined 17-June 09

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:49 AM

May runs around a lot and doesn't score.  Stewart doesn't run around a lot and scores.  We'll play him at left back.

Bring back Magennis.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users