AFC-Chat - Recommended by 9/10 Westhill housewives.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

The Diet And Fitness Thread

• Please log in to reply
3069 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   centraldon

centraldon

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Joined 07-January 08

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:22 PM

Spinning bike? Couldn't get on one without an instructor shouting at me.

Me neither. The boy that does my local one is good. Has the demeanour of an army instructor. Class is always booked out tho.

Bought one of the Polar heart rate monitor watches a few weeks back. Lovin it so far. Knowing how hard you worked is great motivation for doing better the next time. And the heart rate monitor syncs with the digi display on the spin bikes at the gym; which is an added bonus I hadn't realised.

#62 ONLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,957 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:23 PM

First time I took two ECA+30s I was buzzing, done a 3 hour work out and come 11pm I was still well up for more exercise, actually fancied a jog. Noxpump I have tried, not a fan, I spewed alittle in my mouth and havn't tried it since, that was two weeks ago or so, I was on PHD WIRED which was decent enough but I prefer just getting myself up and going, loud music works and looking at old pics get's me in the training mood, now I have a goal to hit to get an interclub fight I am pushing myself almost to the max and the ECA helps alot.

I see what you mean regarding no bread, tried and failed a couple of times, I have however gave up drinking, 4 weeks now although I will be drinking on saturday but then after that off it until mid March, this is very hard for me as I'm only 19 and love a good drink, was in town drinking almost every weekend last year so this is tough but I am enoying it.

A sad sad post-teen

#63 OFFLINE   E-P-K

E-P-K

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,215 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:57 PM

I'm trying to attempt a no bread week aswell, sounds easy........is it f**k! Bread products seem to appear from all angles flashing their rude parts at you.

I do that offshore often, go all atkins and have next to no carbs, and the first 3 or 4 days are hard, as the smells of bread seem to increase 10 fold, but after that you body seems to get over it, as long as you bang in the protein.

If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.

#64 OFFLINE   robbo

robbo

Dons Legend

• Moderators
  • 4,855 posts
  • Joined 06-October 05

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:05 PM

youre right lads, dunno where my head was at. clearly didnt think it through at all.

i did back and biceps today, ill give it chest and triceps 2mo. then do legs thu. really dont know what i was thinking. ill have just done 2 hours training with another hour later on. my legs would be knackered.

ice baths are fantastic mini. i always jump in one after ive done weights. if your gym has a spa, it will probably have one. the gym i go to chills the water to 8 degrees then has it constantly moving. doesnt sound that cold when you say 8 degrees but its a whore and a half when you 1st get in, all the air squeezes straight out of you. next 10-20 seconds are a bitch. once you catch your breath though and space out, your fine. easy to stay in for a good 10-15 mins. its great for your recovery aswell. plugs any micro tears. so long as you dont jump straight in the jacuzzi straight after mind or it undoes all the good. the cold tightens up your blood vessels and pushes blood after from the cold. then when you get up and start moving around, fresh blood pours in and flushes out the lactic acid. so in laymans terms, its like flushing a toilet. sudden spill of fresh stuff gets rid of all the old crap.

Fallons goal was a fluke, could try it 100 times and he'd be lucky to do it more than 5.

Darren Mackie could try it 100 times and he'd be lucky to hit the ball more than 5...

If you're joining a gym or a health club I'd give it a week... All the fucking no hopers have started this week clogging up your workout whilst hogging the machines you want to use... The pool I go to was fucking hoaching with fucking water treaders in the fast lane today - fuck off with your breast stroke in the fast lane, and you fucking old wifies having a wee chat in the medium lane... Get Tae.... You want to have a gas, stick your head in an oven...

#65 ONLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • 25,957 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:14 PM

I done a little bit of Bi ceps this evening, just 4kg 100 reps, managed it just, trying to build up my stamina again after hardly touching weights and tearing a muscle in my arm, basically with the way I am training I have dropped weights apart from the light ones which I'll do now and then, just beasting the cardio the now to try hit 95kg.

A sad sad post-teen

#66 OFFLINE   cheesepipes

cheesepipes

Original Proper Gent

• Members
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined 19-January 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

I do that offshore often, go all atkins and have next to no carbs, and the first 3 or 4 days are hard, as the smells of bread seem to increase 10 fold, but after that you body seems to get over it, as long as you bang in the protein.

I think its easier to do offshore cause you can just grab plenty of meats prepared by the lovely chefs, back home when you've to cook it yerself and the missus has a bread bin full of inviting treats that are just a second away from your slivering chops, its a fair chav like!
If you are not a Proper Gent, you are bent.

#67 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

Is wholemeal bread actually any better for you for loosing weight.

Currently with my weights I do a quick circut of,

10x Shoulder Press
10x Chest Press
10x Bulgarian Squat
10x Bi-cep curls
10x dumbell squats.

Don't know if thats not enough or too much, etc doing that with 10kg.

#68 OFFLINE   E-P-K

E-P-K

Director of Football

• Members
  • 13,215 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

I think its easier to do offshore cause you can just grab plenty of meats prepared by the lovely chefs, back home when you've to cook it yerself and the missus has a bread bin full of inviting treats that are just a second away from your slivering chops, its a fair chav like!

Aye your nae wrong there, when I come hame its often tatties over the sides, or doon the sides.

And like you, binge drinking is, and always was my problem.

If you do not hope, you will not find what is beyond your hopes.

#69 OFFLINE   cheesepipes

cheesepipes

Original Proper Gent

• Members
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined 19-January 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

Is wholemeal bread actually any better for you for loosing weight.

Currently with my weights I do a quick circut of,

10x Shoulder Press
10x Chest Press
10x Bulgarian Squat
10x Bi-cep curls
10x dumbell squats.

Don't know if thats not enough or too much, etc doing that with 10kg.

Intense circuit training can be very effective although if this was the only routine you ever did your missing out a good chunk. Its all about mixing it up though and any routine is better than no routine. I like to hit the gym hard and get through it in about 45 mins to an hour, nae gossiping or slacking.

#70 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:31 PM

Intense circuit training can be very effective although if this was the only routine you ever did your missing out a good chunk. Its all about mixing it up though and any routine is better than no routine. I like to hit the gym hard and get through it in about 45 mins to an hour, nae gossiping or slacking.

I batter through it try keep it up but by the end of it my muscles are f**ked might try half the weight get more reps in?

Its just on my weight bench at home, the gym I go to is small and usually weights are heaving. I'm gonna look to joining another one to get on spin bikes.

#71 OFFLINE   Sheep#1

Sheep#1

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I'm trying to attempt a no bread week aswell, sounds easy........is it f**k! Bread products seem to appear from all angles flashing their rude parts at you.

I've not touched bread, pasta, potatoes or any carbs this year yet at all. Salad, tuna, grilled chicken and steamed veg FTW (but boring as f**k!)
COYR

#72 OFFLINE   cheesepipes

cheesepipes

Original Proper Gent

• Members
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined 19-January 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

I've not touched bread, pasta, potatoes or any carbs this year yet at all. Salad, tuna, grilled chicken and steamed veg FTW (but boring as f**k!)

Hows the results?

#73 OFFLINE   centraldon

centraldon

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts
  • Joined 07-January 08

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

I've not touched bread, pasta, pizza etc this year either. Watched that "10 things to know about dieting" programme that was on a few weeks ago. Some good tips on what to eat and what effect that has on you. I've started to have soup at lunchtime as a result. That fills you up and stays in your stomach longer than solid foods, meaning you are less likely to get hungry and snack in the afternoon. I then thought you could probably use the same principle with your breakfast, so started eating porridge. That works well also. For dinner I have salad and something (chicken or fish etc). I don't think it's boring at all. Just need to spice it up a bit; balsamic vinegar etc. Although I do miss my ham and cheese baguettes.

#74 OFFLINE   cheesepipes

cheesepipes

Original Proper Gent

• Members
  • 10,390 posts
  • Joined 19-January 11

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:55 PM

I batter through it try keep it up but by the end of it my muscles are f**ked might try half the weight get more reps in?

Its just on my weight bench at home, the gym I go to is small and usually weights are heaving. I'm gonna look to joining another one to get on spin bikes.

I'm no expert at all and banging through some circuits is good but your weights for bicep curls should differ from what your squating and benching, maybe i'm looking too much from a weight training side of things.
If it feels good and you feel f**ked by the end of it then its a good sign i reckon, throw some tricep and back excercises in for good measure and your good to go! What your acheiving with the type of workout your doing is more of a cardio effect, which of course is good. Looking to tone up and trim down then keep it up.......looking to pump those pythons? Load up the weight and go for 3 sets of six.

#75 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

Currently i've been eating

Breakfast:
Porridge or 2 Boiled eggs.
Piece of fruit

Snack:
Bannana

Lunch:
Soup and a two wholemeal bread
A rowan glen low fat youghart
Two apples

Evening meal:
Probally my biggest faults.

Snack:
Cracker with some light cheese.

Ate 2001 calories today. 280g of Crabs which it recomends 375g and 84g of protein which says I should have had 62g.

#76 OFFLINE   robbo

robbo

Dons Legend

• Moderators
  • 4,855 posts
  • Joined 06-October 05

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

thats the best idea. set a goal, and get to it. if you start and realise you cant finish a set, drop the weight. better to do things at a lower weight with perfect form rather than powering through with bad form or just giving up all together. drop the weight, keep going.

even if the weight is the weight of your watch, its better than saying f**k it, im done

Fallons goal was a fluke, could try it 100 times and he'd be lucky to do it more than 5.

Darren Mackie could try it 100 times and he'd be lucky to hit the ball more than 5...

If you're joining a gym or a health club I'd give it a week... All the fucking no hopers have started this week clogging up your workout whilst hogging the machines you want to use... The pool I go to was fucking hoaching with fucking water treaders in the fast lane today - fuck off with your breast stroke in the fast lane, and you fucking old wifies having a wee chat in the medium lane... Get Tae.... You want to have a gas, stick your head in an oven...

#77 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I'm no expert at all and banging through some circuits is good but your weights for bicep curls should differ from what your squating and benching, maybe i'm looking too much from a weight training side of things.
If it feels good and you feel f**ked by the end of it then its a good sign i reckon, throw some tricep and back excercises in for good measure and your good to go! What your acheiving with the type of workout your doing is more of a cardio effect, which of course is good. Looking to tone up and trim down then keep it up.......looking to pump those pythons? Load up the weight and go for 3 sets of six.

I've currently been doing Weights one night then a run the next and so on. I'm highly unfit atm and working all day in a manual job i'm f**ked by the time I'm home.

#78 ONLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • 25,957 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:03 PM

Zander, from my experience and training over the last two years I have found it best to ignore calorie intake, I just try and eat the right things with loads of energy, good fats, proteins and carbs, it is hard but stick to it as the results are well worth the hard work.

ANyways will try help you out tomorrow if I have time as I am off to bed now, up at 5:30 for 6am training, then going to spin from 5:30 til 6:30 tomorrow night then sparring from 7 until 9.

A sad sad post-teen

#79 OFFLINE   Peterheid Loon

Peterheid Loon

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 676 posts
  • Joined 18-February 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

First time I took two ECA+30s I was buzzing, done a 3 hour work out and come 11pm I was still well up for more exercise, actually fancied a jog. Noxpump I have tried, not a fan, I spewed alittle in my mouth and havn't tried it since, that was two weeks ago or so, I was on PHD WIRED which was decent enough but I prefer just getting myself up and going, loud music works and looking at old pics get's me in the training mood, now I have a goal to hit to get an interclub fight I am pushing myself almost to the max and the ECA helps alot.

I see what you mean regarding no bread, tried and failed a couple of times, I have however gave up drinking, 4 weeks now although I will be drinking on saturday but then after that off it until mid March, this is very hard for me as I'm only 19 and love a good drink, was in town drinking almost every weekend last year so this is tough but I am enoying it.

So did you actually neck the whole thing? Im still very surprised you didnt get a kick off it. Think you need to man up min and neck it ;-) Its the best pre workout drink i've had and i swear by it.
For those who dont fancy it try No Xplode which is very good as well and gives you a great kick. Only downside is that it can sometimes be a bit dodgy on the guts when it first kicks in.
Im not seeing much ab's work on here? Your core is a very important part of the body to train and personally i beast mines three times a week!

#80 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:09 PM

Cheers mini would apreciate that.

#81 OFFLINE   Sheep#1

Sheep#1

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:04 PM

Hows the results?

Haven't been weighing myself, cos I'm lifting too, but can see and feel a difference in myself. Only prob is this weekend, all day booze binge on sat (hopefully celebrating!) and then Sunday, will craving some junk food. But will get back on track on the Monday again.
COYR

#82 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:15 PM

Haven't been weighing myself, cos I'm lifting too, but can see and feel a difference in myself. Only prob is this weekend, all day booze binge on sat (hopefully celebrating!) and then Sunday, will craving some junk food. But will get back on track on the Monday again.

I did 3 weeks of it suprisingly this weekend went out Saturday ate a fair bit of sh*te, and weighed myself Sunday night and was first time I noticed id actually lost.

#83 OFFLINE   Sheep#1

Sheep#1

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,133 posts
  • Joined 13-January 06

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:19 PM

I did 3 weeks of it suprisingly this weekend went out Saturday ate a fair bit of sh*te, and weighed myself Sunday night and was first time I noticed id actually lost.

Don't want to sh*t on your chips, but could have been due to dehydration from boozing. Have you weighed yourself again?
COYR

#84 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

Don't want to sh*t on your chips, but could have been due to dehydration from boozing. Have you weighed yourself again?

I'd dropped from 16'7 to 15'13 on Sunday(Fortnight) then increased to 16'1 this evening when checked.

#85 OFFLINE   Brochdoll

Brochdoll

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 623 posts
  • Joined 31-July 08

Posted 26 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

I'd dropped from 16'7 to 15'13 on Sunday(Fortnight) then increased to 16'1 this evening when checked.

You should weigh yourself at the same time everyday. Once a week on the same day in the morning is what I do.

Went to a body combat class last night. Quite enjoyed it

Edited by Brochdoll, 26 January 2011 - 12:59 PM.

#86 ONLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • 25,957 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:44 PM

Chances of that are slim (no pun intended) every time I have been on a heavy binge of drinking I have weighed myself, most I have put on is 8pounds in a day, was ace seeing that.

A sad sad post-teen

#87 OFFLINE   robbo

robbo

Dons Legend

• Moderators
  • 4,855 posts
  • Joined 06-October 05

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:47 PM

down to 12'8 after today. another 6 to drop and i can get the tattoo ive been promising myself for about 6 years.

shoulders are still killing me after yesterday. gym was fookin packed so didnt get my full routine as there was always some c**t waiting for something.

cant decide about 2mo night. 1 gym has boxercise 6-7, other gym has spin class at the same time.

think ill be going for whichever has the bigger pool and sauna tbh

#88 OFFLINE   zander

zander

Hun Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,897 posts
  • Joined 20-November 07

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:56 PM

Chances of that are slim (no pun intended) every time I have been on a heavy binge of drinking I have weighed myself, most I have put on is 8pounds in a day, was ace seeing that.

8 pounds how the f**k you manage that never notice mines in a single day.

#89 ONLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • 25,957 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:58 PM

8 pounds how the f**k you manage that never notice mines in a single day.

Unsure, involved alot of pizza and a heap of booze was an alldayer session like.

A sad sad post-teen

#90 OFFLINE   Podge

Podge

First Team Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Joined 10-December 05

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:18 PM

I've been totally sh*te with my efforts lately - not so much the gym effort, but the food and drink effort - stupid really, since all I have to do is NOT eat or drink certain things!

The past year was a bit rubbish for weight loss, I went up a stone, lost that then went down to about 14 stone 11 before the xmas munch started and went up to 15 stone 8 by time I came back to Edinburgh in january! My worst weight in 2008 was 20 and a half stone (about 132 Kg). Sadly I'm still in the obese bracket, I was in the clinically obese one - working towards overweight ;) Although I don't pay too much attention to the BMI chart since it's just weight and height.

Get the Virgin Active gym in Edinburgh free through work, and work right next to it so manage to go along at lunchtimes, occasionally after work too (although just now there are heaps of new year resolution folk in so I avoid evenings as much as I can). Been doing spin there for about 5 or 6 months now - love it! It's horrible at the time though.

Normally do Mon, Wed, Fri weights, tues and thurs at spin, then if I can be arsed then a sunday I try and go in and swim or row. Started doing proper weightlifting now (other than what I did ages ago with just using the machines only, and not regularly) so been trying chest press, squats (not tried deadlifts yet) and then other barbell/dumbell exercises. The main part is the eating though as I said, I do fine during the week, as soon as friday hits it's out straight after work with no food, straight to pub - then by 10 or 11, folk are hungry so that is where the sh*te food starts... and can continue until the sunday!

Annoying really as I'm putting the time in at the gym, but I'm just maintaining weight mostly with the current behaviour. I'm in a bit of a catch 22 as I want to get some muscle, yet I need to have less calories for my main goal of losing weight (If I properly tried I reckon I could beast it to 12 stone by July/August... but this all depends on discipline with the food!).

Anyone got any tips for not totally caving at the weekends? mini you've been doing ace, I guess I could just put in extra sessions at gym for a bit more cardio, although the squats will be helping a bit for fat burning too. I think I might try the lower weights, higher reps thing too for now to get some of this fat off rather than trying to lift heavier weights for like 6 to 8 reps.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users