The Stand Up Comedy Thread

Guest Grays Babylon 1875
On 5/26/2022 at 7:53 AM, dave_min said:

still very much angry old man shouts at clouds vibes.

I'd argue against that totally.  Gervo seems a man very happy in his own skin.  Fattened and rich ( he never stops mentioning it ), he pushes all the right buttons and gives a good hour.

I really liked this show.   Couple or five moments when I laughed out loud which I don't remember doing before watching his other specials. 

Decent stand up.   

Got fat again though the fat cunt.

On 5/25/2022 at 11:31 PM, Jigsaw666 said:

Alan Partridge, Glasgow Hydro.

Overall not great. One genuine LOL sketch but undeniable Coogan's lost the knack of doing Partridge well. Too often neither voice nor mannerisms quite hit the mark. Disappointing, though the happy clappers seemed pleased enough.

He needs to retire Partridge. Tired and dated now, he's flogging a dead horse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2022 at 12:21 AM, Jigsaw666 said:

Reginald D Hunter in Perth tonight.

Seems like somebody who would be good to have a pint with but not what you could ever call an A lister for stand up. Think his delivery leaves something to be desired and the material itself very much "meh".

A few years back, I went round to my dealer's house one Saturday afternoon for a cheeky pick-me-up of Colombia's finest export (coffee, obviously). Upon entering, I noted a somewhat imposing gentleman lying prostrate on the couch, surrounded by assorted drug paraphernalia and accoutrements.

"This is Reg", my dealer kindly informed me. Reg, stirring briefly from his couch-based stupor, lifted his head and nodded in my general direction. "S'up, I'm Reeeejjjj...". Immediately I recognised the unmistakable American Deep South drawl as belonging to none other than noted stand-up comedian and regular TV panel show guest Reginald D. Hunter. "S'up Reg, I saw you at the Edinburgh Festival a few years back", I offered, pointlessly. "Shiiiiiiit", replied Reg, clearly blown away by my awesome banter, before laying his head back down and returning to his stupor. Scenez.

Not long after, my dealer got a 6 year stretch in prison for possession of £100k's worth of cannabis and cocaine, and Reg seemingly went on to pile on the pounds and appear in glamorous locales such as Perth. Funny how life pans out eh ?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Grays Babylon 1875

New Dave Chappelle special. 

Massive fan but utter dog shit. 

Turned off after 15 tragic minutes. 

Really poor. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kevin Bridges.

Law of diminishing returns in effect here IMO. Seen him three times, first was excellent, second less brilliant but still very good and this time first half was not bad but as it went on I started to tune out. Only done 70-75 minutes as well so a bit short on quantity for a top price show. 6.7/10

Warm Up.

Suzie McCabe. Only caught last five minutes. She got a few laughs from the hall but not exactly a unanimous endorsement. 

Karl Spain. Did 15 min set and got the place going. Really good set.

Aww and there was a punch up between three guys half a dozen seats away from myself which was amusing enough to watch during Bridges set.