Documentaries Thread

mcdougall(4)

42 minutes ago, manboobs109 said:

Just finished Pearl Harbour. Not a patch on World at War but it's good for getting a bit history in the laddie.

I watched the battle of the bulge one yesterday, first one I've seen. Def not world at war, but has some decent talking heads.

Not sure I'll have the stomach for the Stalingrad or Hiroshima episodes.

World at War, WWII in colour and pretty much anything else about that period I cannot get enough of.

Watched, and read, many a tale about Stalingrad which by all accounts was absolute chaos and carnage.

No sympathy for the Japs and how it all ended if I am being honest. Reap what you sow.

Actually going to rewatch the World at War as it's been a while.

On 11/25/2021 at 8:44 PM, maryhilldon said:

Churchill was a prick, Cmon .

Perhaps but without him it would have been a very different story and perhaps outcome.

Can you imagine some of today's leaders doing what he had to do? Like some of the examples already mentioned above, labour would be worrying about Hitler's cervix and fuck knows what they would make of the Jewish situation ?

Boris would probably be on holiday at the Berchtesgaden having one huge fucking drink and drug fuelled orgy with Boremann ?

Guest milne_afc

The Beatles thing is about 6 hours too long. Some pretty nifty footage and musicianship though.

Would recommend for a long haul flight or some quarantine viewing.

1 hour ago, For Fecks Sake said:

World at War, WWII in colour and pretty much anything else about that period I cannot get enough of.

Watched, and read, many a tale about Stalingrad which by all accounts was absolute chaos and carnage.

No sympathy for the Japs and how it all ended if I am being honest. Reap what you sow.

Actually going to rewatch the World at War as it's been a while.

You have probably read it, but Anthony beevor stalingrad is brutal.

21 hours ago, milne_afc said:

The Beatles thing is about 6 hours too long. Some pretty nifty footage and musicianship though.

Would recommend for a long haul flight or some quarantine viewing.

Watched the first one.  Fair bit of friction with Paul and George at one point.  Ringo is quality, he just looks pissed all the time.  

12 minutes ago, Roberto said:

Superb viewing eh?

The Hindenburg one was a personal favourite.

Think that’s the next one i’m due to watch.

On the preview I think it said the Hindenburg was about the same size as 3 jumbo jets.Mental.

Also didn’t know Challenger should never have been allowed to take off.Surprised there’s not been more made of the decision to overrule engineers that said it shouldn’t go ahead.

Finished the Beatles 3 parter.  Last two episodes were superb.  As soon as Billy Preston was introduced to the sound the whole mood changed in the band and they actually looked to be enjoying themselves.  Total turnaround after the first episode.

Never seen so many fags being smoked in my life, no wonder there was a smoking warning on the screen before it.

Absolute legends.

14 minutes ago, jamiesd said:

Finished the Beatles 3 parter.  Last two episodes were superb.  As soon as Billy Preston was introduced to the sound the whole mood changed in the band and they actually looked to be enjoying themselves.  Total turnaround after the first episode.

Never seen so many fags being smoked in my live, no wonder there was a smoking warning on the screen before it.

Absolute legends.

Was considering getting AppleTV just for this, but I had it for a year when I got my new iPhone and never watched it.

• Upvote 1