As part of The FA’s 150th anniversary celebrations in 2013, England have confirmed they will once again play Scotland at Wembley, as they rekindle international football’s oldest rivalry.

The fixture is the first to be confirmed ahead of what will be a spectacular year of blue-chip international matches at Wembley, as well as further events around England to commemorate the landmark year.

The pair will play each other at Wembley on Wednesday 14 August 2013.

England manager Roy Hodgson said: “I am privileged to be manager of England at UEFA Euro 2012 and it will be another huge honour to lead our nation out against our oldest rivals. For us, England versus Scotland is one of the finest fixtures in international football and I know what this game means to both sets of supporters.

“It will be a fitting part of The FA’s 150th anniversary celebrations and the supporters, the team and my coaching staff all look forward to welcoming Scotland to Wembley Stadium next year.”

Scotland’s National Team Coach, Craig Levein, believes his squad will relish the challenge of this historic fixture.

He said: “For any Scotland supporter, player or coach, Scotland versus England is the ultimate contest: it really is as good as it gets. I am thrilled that we have reached agreement with The FA to play at Wembley as part of their 150th Anniversary celebrations and I am sure the supporters will be there in their tens of thousands.

“Our match against Brazil at the Emirates Stadium in London last year was a tremendous spectacle and I was overwhelmed by the support we had that day. This is an even more mouth-watering prospect for all concerned and the players will be desperate to record another famous victory at Wembley.

“It will also be the best test possible before we resume our FIFA World Cup Qualifying campaign next year.”

England and Scotland are international football’s oldest opponents. They met in the first official match ever played.

The original staging of this fixture took place at the ground of the West of Scotland Cricket Club at Partick, near Glasgow, on Saturday, 30 November 1872. In the previous month The FA Committee had formally agreed to send a representative team, “in order to further the interests of The Association in Scotland”.

Bell’s Life saw it as “one of the jolliest, one of the most spirited and most pleasant matches that has ever been played according to Association rules”. There was a crowd of nearly 4,000 and it finished in a 0-0 draw.

The teams have now met on 110 occasions, most recently in 1999 when Scotland won 1-0 in the second leg of a UEFA Euro 2000 Qualifying Play-Off at Wembley. England has won 45 times, Scotland 41 times and there have been 24 draws.

Scotland’s ‘Wembley Wizards’ were 5-1 winners in 1928 but an England side managed by Walter Winterbottom thumped the Scots 9-3, also at Wembley, to clinch the British Championship trophy in 1961. A colossal attendance of 149,547, still a British record, saw Scotland win 3-1 at Glasgow’s Hampden Park in 1937.

Full history of England v Scotland matches 1872-2013

As uch as I'd love to go and watch this fixture, no chance I'll be going as it will be full of fuds giving it big about the Argies and Maradona, most of these twats will be under the age of 30 and have no fucking idea about it but because it's against the English they'll bring it up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Very much in two minds about this; under normal circumstances I would be delighted to see the return of my all-time favourite fixture, but as said above we are so bad at the moment that I genuinely fear a proper humping.

The idea of Walcott running at Charlie Mulgrew makes me feel faint and vomitous.

Scotlands Wembley Wizards were 5-1 winners in 1928 but an England side managed by Walter Winterbottom thumped the Scots 9-3, also at Wembley

This is very bad news. Great we're playing England but with Harry Potter as manager we could have a score worse than 1928. :ThumbsDown:

:sherlock:

Don't even pretend you were fishing you specky, shit-haired fuckstick.

Very much in two minds about this; under normal circumstances I would be delighted to see the return of my all-time favourite fixture, but as said above we are so bad at the moment that I genuinely fear a proper humping.

The idea of Walcott running at Charlie Mulgrew makes me feel faint and vomitous.

its over 1 year away, things will have changed dramatically by then. Whether they change for the worse or better depends greatly on whether CL remains at the helm

You've changed your tune already.

Its went from "could" to "very likely".

Windae licker.

That's because I initially understood 1928 to be a 9-3 loss and misread. Pretty sure I pointed that out.

It has changed from could to very likely because of that. We could get beat worse than 9-3. We're very likely to get a worse score than a 5-1 victory.

That's because I initially understood 1928 to be a 9-3 loss and misread. Pretty sure I pointed that out.

It has changed from could to very likely because of that. We could get beat worse than 9-3. We're very likely to get a worse score than a 5-1 victory.

I will accept any apology on behalf of the whole board upon its arrival.

My dad and grandpa were at the 9-3 game, a pretty traumatic experience by all accounts.

They were back 2 years later though (gluttons for punishment, obviously) for a famous 2-1 win, achieved with only ten men after Eric Caldow got stretchered-off in the opening minutes, in the days before substitutes.

I'd love to go down to this, but as mentioned that fucking cock Levein has to be binned long before this match

My thoughts exactly. Imagine all the hype round the game then we turn up and play 6 in midfield. England are beatable if we were to have a go at them...but we winna, and as someone else mentioned, Walcott will have a run or 10 at Mulgrew :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...

Our end will be full of twats like the couple that were in the Foundry for the England game on Sun singing Flower of Scotland after the pen shootout. Cringeworthy to say the least. With all the hatred that will be vented towards the English during the 90 minutes while they just laugh and take the piss at how pathetic we are on and off the pitch, think I'll give it a miss

• 2 weeks later...

That's related to the club we support, where as what Maradona done has no connection to Scotland what so ever.

Your logic is strange at the very least.

Do you never laugh or take the piss out of any of the OF fans when other teams players take the piss out of them?

Like for example when ICT knocked celtic out of the Scottish cup? :dontknow:

You twist things to suit your arguments (or agendas in this case) cos I'm pretty damn sure that you have had at we chuckle at the OF's expense when other teams take the piss out of them, so where's the difference in us Scotland fans taking the piss out of English fans about Maradona's hand of god or the wonder goal he also scored against them in the same game?

Well you are all up in arms about the gers cheating in the SPL for several years, that was blatant cheating back then, why celebrate it? Sad as fuck.

Because it was funny as fuck :dontknow:

Just like it would be funny as fuck to a Dandy (or most other rivals of the OF) if the same happened against the huns or the tims etc. :dontknow:

You pedant

Actually scratch that cos to be a pedant your argument would have to actually make sense rather than contradict :dontknow:

Or would you not laugh about this happening against Aberdeens rivals?

Find this reaction quite amusing!! The Dons fans on here having the cheek to talk about Scotland and England. The oldest rivalry in football!! Yet over half of Aberdeen fans on here are obsessed with Rangers to a much bigger degree. You could have an Aberdeen game on at Pittodrie and everyone was too busy posting in the lets all laugh at Rangers thread instead of going to the game or even caring about it!!

Some of you really cannot criticise Scotland fans!

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much of a Scotland fan (only ever been to the Pittodrie games) but quite tempted by the deal to buy the season ticket for the home qualifiers thus guaranteeing a ticket for England away.

Unless we draw Rangers in the cup going to need to make up for the loss of some 'big games' ha