Nacho Novo To Play For Scotland?

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...4378359,00.html

Novo would say yes to Scots

Rangers striker Nacho Novo has revealed he would "probably" switch allegiance from Spain to Scotland if called up by George Burley.

Novo: Feels Scottish enough Send to friend

Novo, 29, has spent eight years playing in Scotland, enough time to qualify for a British passport.

He has heard rumours about England manager Fabio Capello's interest in calling up Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and Everton midfielder Mikel Arteta, both fellow Spaniards.

And he would seriously consider accepting a call up from the Scottish Football Association.

Novo told the Daily Record: "If the SFA want to speak to me about it then of course I would be very interested in playing for Scotland.

"After all my time here I feel as if this is my home now.

"I know all about Almunia's situation with England and I read somewhere that my old Rangers team-mate Mikel Arteta is also supposed to be interesting Capello, so it's not as if this kind of thing does not happen elsewhere.

"People have told me before that I could qualify for Scotland but no-one from the SFA has spoken to me about it so it's not something I've had to seriously consider.

"Maybe a few years ago it would have seemed a little strange but now, after eight years in Scotland, I feel as if I am part of the country.

"My kids are Scottish and everyone here has treated me so well throughout my time here that I consider myself to be at home here.

"So if someone from the SFA was to ask me about the possibility of playing for Scotland then I would probably say yes."

Novo's revelation comes shortly after Rangers team-mates Kris Boyd and Lee McCulloch quit the Scotland side.

SFA president George Peat initially wanted to slap a lifetime ban on the likes of Boyd, who decided he did not want to play for his country while Burley remained in charge.

Peat said: "I must admit my initial feeling was to get the message over that if they wanted to go now then that was too bad - they would not participate in any finals.

"Possibly it's the patriot in me. I can't understand why anybody would want to do that.

"You would think any footballer would want to play for his country. You can't imagine why someone would say no.

"Gordon Smith (SFA chief executive) and I discussed this for quite some time.

"We started with the question 'Should we ban them for life?' But once we sat down and talked about it, we felt we had to be fair to the coach and leave it up to him.

"There was an argument to say let's get the message over that if they walk away then they walk away for good."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ditto.

I would find it really hard to cheer on a Scotland team with him in it.

Still:

1. He is not as good as Maloney/McFadden

2. He doesn't seem to play for Rangers much more than Boyd, so if Burley sticks to his "I ain't gonna play Old Firm Bench Warmers policy", we should be safe, if heaven forbid he made a squad.

3. Its probably a non-story, to fill an inside back page. Half-rate journalist asks Novo what he thinks about his fellow Spaniards mentioning in passing they could probably play for England, amd Novo commenting that he wouldn't rule it out.

I think players should have to identify at signing of first professional contract/a given age etc the national team the aspire to play for and be stuck with that choice for their careers.

heres a copy and paste of a post posted by the SFA on TAMB

A Scottish FA Spokesman said:

"While our priority will always be to invest in home grown talent, if the manager wants to pick a player who is eligible and who he thinks will do a job for Scotland then he should always be allowed to do so.

"In the case of Nacho Novo, at present he does not hold a British passport and is therefore not eligible to play for any of the Home Nations. If that situation were to change, then he would be considered like any other player."

BACKGROUND:

We signed an agreement with the other Home Nations in 1993 regarding the eligibility of players. The criteria set was:

1. His country of birth

2. The country of birth of his natural mother or father

3. The country of birth of his natural grandmother or grandfather

4. Where the player, both natural parents and both natural grandparents being born outside the UK, but is a holder of a British passport - he or she is then eligible to play for the Home Nation of his choice.

heres a copy and paste of a post posted by the SFA on TAMB

A Scottish FA Spokesman said:

"While our priority will always be to invest in home grown talent, if the manager wants to pick a player who is eligible and who he thinks will do a job for Scotland then he should always be allowed to do so.

"In the case of Nacho Novo, at present he does not hold a British passport and is therefore not eligible to play for any of the Home Nations. If that situation were to change, then he would be considered like any other player."

BACKGROUND:

We signed an agreement with the other Home Nations in 1993 regarding the eligibility of players. The criteria set was:

1. His country of birth

2. The country of birth of his natural mother or father

3. The country of birth of his natural grandmother or grandfather

4. Where the player, both natural parents and both natural grandparents being born outside the UK, but is a holder of a British passport - he or she is then eligible to play for the Home Nation of his choice.

Does that therefore mean that we could call up Arteta if he held a British passport as he'd be eligible for all the home nations?

A great player and much better than Barry Ferguson.

What the frigg?!

Listening to talkSport and their news reader just said Scotland 'have opened the door' for Nacho Novo to play for Scotland due to residence laws!

When did this happen? Total friggin outrage if he pulls on a Scotland shirt.

There is talk of him being able to play for Scotland as he now qualifies to apply for UK citizenship as he has lived here for more than 5 years. Means he would then be eligable to play for any of the home nations.

Cannot see why we would offer to cap him as we have plenty of players alraady who fill the crap non scoring striker role.

Ratface can frigg off. A horrible individual and I'd hate to see Scotland go down the route of almost pure desperation to get players. I can just about tolerate it when its someone who has a single Scottish grandparent but this would be taking the piss.

I remember watching Euro 2008 and seeing Poland have that Brazilian boy Roger Guerreiro playing for them. He had his application for Polish citizenship fast tracked so he could play for them. I know that isn't an isolated incident and to me it just makes a mockery of international football as if we're not careful we'll end with teams packed full of players who have no real links to the country their representing. Qatar recently got into some hot water cause they played some Brazilian called Emerson who wasn't eligible for them.

Does that therefore mean that we could call up Arteta if he held a British passport as he'd be eligible for all the home nations?

Certainly does. Doesn't change the fact that it's totally wrong, and goes against everything a 'national' team is supposed to be about. I think we can all stand the bloodline angle, even if it did land us with the likes of Quashie, but a non-Scot who has no connection at all with the country, sorry, but despite being as proud of my nation as anyone, that I'm afraid would be it for me as well.

I echo all the comments about having nothing to do with a Scotland team with Homo in it.

A great player and much better than Barry Ferguson.

Arteta has Under-21 caps for Spain so not sure if that would rule him out. I would however love us to get Almunia just to piss the gufs off :laughing:

I'd rather have someone like Novo who at least has lived in Scotland for years playing for us than someone of the Anglos who get picked for having a Scottish granny and couldn't find Hampden without a GPS.

If Novo was getting picked week in week out for Rangers, scoring goals and playing well then he'd be a decent shout for a cap.

Right now he isn't so its a bit academic really. Why has this story surfaced this week anyway? Nothing else to talk about?

The day he plays for Scotland is the day the internationl game dies, it happens across the world but I don't want that here despite th fact we hve Maloney, Morrison and COmmons in te side already, that is bearablebut that little nut is not.

M mate at work canna derstnd why I hae him soo much and don't want him in our dark blue, now my work locker is covered in NOVO FOR SCOTLAND :laughing:

Guest LondonScottish
The day he plays for Scotland is the day the internationl game dies, it happens across the world but I don't want that here despite th fact we hve Maloney, Morrison and COmmons in te side already, that is bearablebut that little nut is not.

M mate at work canna derstnd why I hae him soo much and don't want him in our dark blue, now my work locker is covered in NOVO FOR SCOTLAND :banghead:

Why shouldn't Maloney be in there?

Guest the shepherd

Who the ***k does Nacho Novo think he is thinking he is good enough to play for a foreign country considering he is not good enough to feature regularly for the team that pays his wages? Marriage-wrecking arrogant b*stard. I do not give two ***ks if he qualifies or not and as for the daily ranger even bringing it up............... :banghead:

Why shouldn't Maloney be in there?

MiniJ :thumbup1:

Don't know MiniJ continue's to throw in Maloney as one who shouldn't be playing for Scotland but both his parents are Scottish he was brought up in Aberdeen for 90% of his life. I don't mind tooooo much if you have parents, grand parents or some blood related Scot.

But cause you are simply not good enough to play for your country you can latch on to anything going is simply S-HIT and he is not good enough anyway!! :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hate the Twat. :banghead: