#31 OFFLINE   Bamber

Bamber

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Joined 11-December 06

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:32 PM

If we get a by into QR2 I hope to fuck DMc gets them in earlier and plays some more meaningful friendlies. By his own admission we were under prepared last season. These are the most important games of the season financially.

http://www.afc-chat....showtopic=41565

Falkirk and St J before QR11st leg

Cove before QR1 2nd leg 

inverurie before QR 2 1st leg

and brechin before QR2 2nd leg

It almost feels like a QR1 pre season 8th July is St J and 26th July is QR2 leg 1 (QR1 leg 1 is 12 July)

Would hope if we are starting in QR2 that we would see something arranged on or around the 19th 

#32 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

Cove
[/quote]

Abz reds team now.

#33 OFFLINE   ABZ RED

ABZ RED

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 02-June 08

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:37 PM

http://www.afc-chat....showtopic=41565

Falkirk and St J before QR11st leg

Cove before QR1 2nd leg 

inverurie before QR 2 1st leg

and brechin before QR2 2nd leg

It almost feels like a QR1 pre season 8th July is St J and 26th July is QR2 leg 1 (QR1 leg 1 is 12 July)

Would hope if we are starting in QR2 that we would see something arranged on or around the 19th 

Fucking laughable preparation even if there weren't 5+ new players needing to gel.

Even shorter adventure this time.

#34 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:41 PM

Fucking laughable preparation even if there weren't 5+ new players needing to gel.

Dont worry mate, yous could still beat the dons.

#35 OFFLINE   ABZ RED

ABZ RED

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  • Joined 02-June 08

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:55 PM

Dont worry mate, yous could still beat the dons.

Certainly got a chance in the new stadium of what will be the only league side in Aberdeen.

#36 OFFLINE   Yorston Vasey

Yorston Vasey

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Joined 11-June 17

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

Certainly got a chance in the new stadium of what will be the only league side in Aberdeen.

Stadium's not in Aberdeen, thought we'd established that...
Court appointed guardian of AFC Chat

#37 OFFLINE   Byrne Baby Byrne

Byrne Baby Byrne

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,578 posts
  • Joined 02-October 05

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:58 PM

The problem is very few teams are back and available to play friendliest at that time of year...

#38 OFFLINE   Yorston Vasey

Yorston Vasey

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • Joined 11-June 17

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:00 PM

We should be doing pre season in Holland or somewhere like that. Exeter & Torquay. That's what we did when we were ace under Fergie and Smith/Scott.
Court appointed guardian of AFC Chat

#39 ONLINE   dj_bollocks

dj_bollocks

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Joined 28-January 06

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:01 PM

Hasn't the league cup started by that time ? Plenty of teams we could play... Or countries that play summer football...

Edited by dj_bollocks, 10 May 2018 - 10:01 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   Granite95

Granite95

Breakthrough Player

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Joined 15-April 17

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:26 PM

Hasn't the league cup started by that time ? Plenty of teams we could play... Or countries that play summer football...

From a quick google can see that Russian, Swedish, Irish and Norwegian leagues all have a summer league format. Surely would be benificial to play some of those teams to get us up to speed rather than Cove etc (no offence intended towards Cove)

#41 OFFLINE   tiktak

tiktak

Fan's Favourite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Joined 18-June 16

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:38 PM

Right here are a couple of positive points:

Positive No2- if we are to finish 2nd plus tims win the cup and we enter at QR2 unseeded we'll be playing a seeded team who also have not played a "proper" game.

Maybe not in Europe but their league may start before ours so could have started the season or be mid season like de oirish for eg.

The longer I stay in this world, the less I want to be part of it.

#42 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:28 AM

Surely would be benificial to play some of those teams to get us up to speed rather than Cove etc (no offence intended towards Cove)

#43 OFFLINE   maryhilldon

maryhilldon

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • Joined 18-January 16

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:31 AM

Surely would be benificial to play some of those teams to get us up to speed rather than Cove etc (no offence intended towards Cove)

Abz Redz's biggest game of the season.

#44 OFFLINE   Bamber

Bamber

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Joined 11-December 06

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:09 AM

Please tell me why?

Key dates:

QR1 qualifying 12 /19 July

QR2 Qualifying 26 July 2 August

Scottish league cup

14 July

18 July

21 July

24 July

28 July

League 4th August

so we cannot look to Scotland for friendlies after Qualifying has started. So look past our shores? Stupid!

what if we have a Europa game in Southern Europe? do we really want to play in Southern Europe on Thursday and then travel away to a friendly on the Saturday? No point whatsoever. Play at home? they will want money and again would we want to play them if we have a 5 hr flight home arriving in Aberdeen in the early hours of Friday morning? so again STOOPID

Falkirk and St Johnstone will provide good quality opposition prior to QR1  Cove and inverurie allow us to keep on in there with very little hassle as will Brechin

My one problem with it is if we go direct to QR2 we play ST J on the 8th and then don't play strong opposition again until the 26th. We wont be able to play Scottish opposition because they will be in the League cup 

A fellow europa qualifier might work but that means either Rangers Hibs or Motherwell and if we are QR2 they are QR1 the same problem re travel applies to them

I can see a English/welsh/irish or two being added in if we start in QR2 in the Europa - otherwise it looks fine as a QR1 prepaeration

Edited by Bamber, 11 May 2018 - 08:11 AM.

#45 ONLINE   Dynamo

Dynamo

Chairman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,119 posts
  • Joined 10-October 05

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:13 AM

The problem is very few teams are back and available to play friendliest at that time of year...

Time to bring the Energy Cities Cup home. 

#46 OFFLINE   Betty Swallicks

Betty Swallicks

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts
  • Joined 03-June 09

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:17 AM

Maybe not in Europe but their league may start before ours so could have started the season or be mid season like de oirish for eg.

Unlikely due to the team being seeded. Not many seeded teams from Ireland, Norway etc.

#47 OFFLINE   Betty Swallicks

Betty Swallicks

Dons Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,582 posts
  • Joined 03-June 09

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Please tell me why?

Key dates:

QR1 qualifying 12 /19 July

QR2 Qualifying 26 July 2 August

Scottish league cup

14 July

18 July

21 July

24 July

28 July

League 4th August

so we cannot look to Scotland for friendlies after Qualifying has started. So look past our shores? Stupid!

what if we have a Europa game in Southern Europe? do we really want to play in Southern Europe on Thursday and then travel away to a friendly on the Saturday? No point whatsoever. Play at home? they will want money and again would we want to play them if we have a 5 hr flight home arriving in Aberdeen in the early hours of Friday morning? so again STOOPID

Falkirk and St Johnstone will provide good quality opposition prior to QR1  Cove and inverurie allow us to keep on in there with very little hassle as will Brechin

My one problem with it is if we go direct to QR2 we play ST J on the 8th and then don't play strong opposition again until the 26th. We wont be able to play Scottish opposition because they will be in the League cup 

A fellow europa qualifier might work but that means either Rangers Hibs or Motherwell and if we are QR2 they are QR1 the same problem re travel applies to them

I can see a English/welsh/irish or two being added in if we start in QR2 in the Europa - otherwise it looks fine as a QR1 prepaeration

Good post!

On a side note thank fuck we're not involved in that pishy League Cup Group shite.

I can see how it benefits the wee clubs but it fucks up the options of going to Holland etc like we used to do when not in Europe.

#48 OFFLINE   Donnet

Donnet

Senior Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Joined 01-June 17

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

Well that's us in it then. Had a look at the teams qualified and there are plenty of familiar teams. 

Zalgiris Vilnius, Ventspils, Kairat and Siroki Brijeg are all in QR1. A Riga FC (seem to be formed from the scraps of multiple Riga teams including Skonto and Daugava) also appear. Fola Esch look set to join us. Maribor are currently sitting in a Europa League spot but could still win the league - same goes for Apollon who are also in the Cyprus cup final. Shkendija are in their cup final but they have also won their league entering them into the Champions League qualifiers. 

We'll be seeded for QR1 (if we're in it) and unseeded for QR2. The "big" teams in QR2 are currently AZ Alkmaar, Legia Warsaw and Burnley but Sevilla, Leipzig and Zenit are all sitting in QR2 qualification spots in their respective leagues. 

Another recent opponent Rijeka will be in either QR2 or QR3 of the Europa League. They are sitting in the same situation as us - finished 2nd and waiting on the cup final between the champions and a team lower than them in the league. 

Brondby also in QR2. Sigma Olomouc sitting in 3rd which would give them a spot in the group stages. May slip back to 4th or 5th and into QR2/3.

Edited by Donnet, 14 May 2018 - 10:40 AM.

#49 ONLINE   BWG

BWG

#TopDon

• Members
  • 10,147 posts
  • Joined 01-June 15

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:44 AM

I agree the preperation isn't good enough.  McInnes keeps doing the same things and expecting different results.

I bet he'll still fucking fly the team over the night before the game again as well.  Worked fucking wonders for us in Cyprus that did.

#50 OFFLINE   Ernie McCracken

Ernie McCracken

Cult Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,394 posts
  • Joined 19-January 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:48 AM

I agree the preperation isn't good enough.  McInnes keeps doing the same things and expecting different results.

I bet he'll still fucking fly the team over the night before the game again as well.  Worked fucking wonders for us in Cyprus that did.

To be fair, given the state of GMS and Stewart at that point, I reckon he would have had to fly them over 6 months before the game to get them ready.

Edited by Ernie McCracken, 14 May 2018 - 10:48 AM.

Bryce, I gotta get bigger man

#51 OFFLINE   Bamber

Bamber

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Joined 11-December 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:51 AM

given my post above I would imagine we are looking at another friendly or two now just in case Motherwell should happen to lose

St Johnstone on the 8th with Cove and Inverurie between then and QR2 qualifying leg 1 on the 26th is not best preparation. Remaining Scottish teams will be up to their armpits in league cup matches

So I would guess a English or Welsh team will be receiving an invite upto St Andrews?

#52 OFFLINE   The Oxford Don

The Oxford Don

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:58 AM

Is it confirmed yet that we go straight in at QR2? 

Genuine question, just wondering if anyone knows how it actually works. 

#53 OFFLINE   Bamber

Bamber

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Joined 11-December 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:04 AM

No not confirmed

QR2 is for the winners of the scottish cup

If Motherwell lose that place goes to the team in 2nd position in the league who is errrmmmm US!! 

Our preseason games seem more tied to a QR1 start so rejigging will be needed if we enter in QR2

#54 OFFLINE   The Oxford Don

The Oxford Don

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,307 posts
  • Joined 17-January 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:07 AM

No not confirmed

QR2 is for the winners of the scottish cup

If Motherwell lose that place goes to the team in 2nd position in the league who is errrmmmm US!! 

Our preseason games seem more tied to a QR1 start so rejigging will be needed if we enter in QR2

Cheers mate. 

So win-win in the SC Final then... lolz at Celtic if they lose, and a better Europa League qualifiers set-up for us if they win as expected. 

#55 OFFLINE   Bamber

Bamber

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Joined 11-December 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:36 AM

I'm not sure it is a better set up if we enter in QR2 - a brand new midfield, and brand new central defence all needed to settle in and entering QR2 unseeded could make it a banana skin if we aren't careful 

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Considine

Tansey Shinnie

GMS ferguson  Mcginn

Cosgrove

is probably our starting line up based on players we have right now.

#56 OFFLINE   boboisared

boboisared

Part-timer

• Members
  • 14,647 posts
  • Joined 28-August 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

I'm not sure it is a better set up if we enter in QR2 - a brand new midfield, and brand new central defence all needed to settle in and entering QR2 unseeded could make it a banana skin if we aren't careful 

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Considine

Tansey Shinnie

GMS ferguson  Mcginn

Cosgrove

is probably our starting line up based on players we have right now.

Campbell will be in before Tansey. Derek wants nothing to do with Tansey and said as much during fans Q&A's.

:roids: The Official AFC-Chat 'Lay Off The Roids' Club - In conjunction with Tup's Corner   :roids:

• Peterheid Loon - Review never
  • Sheepish Kev - Review once he has his dream of Rangers being back in the top flight of Scottish football.
  • Tyrant - Review once he superglues a dildo to someone's car bonnet.
  • Tup - Once he apologises to Brian from Bergen for his reaction to him offering genuine advice ahead of his big date.

Folk Dayts is intolerant of

• ​Polish accordionists
  • Pro Independence folk
  • Folk trying to make other folk aware of cancer
  • Those God damn Arabs
  • Joggers who don't wear jeans
  • Shoplifters
  • Lads

#57 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 15,537 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:47 AM

Confirmed as seeded in QR1

Confirmed as unseeded in QR2

Which round we enter depends on the cup final.

Most of us will be cheering on Motherwell as it it'll better preparation to be involved in QR1 but the club will be cheering on Celtic as they'll look at starting in QR2 as increasing the chances of making the groups.

Draw is on June 19th and it'll be the draw for Q1 and Q2 so therefore quite a likely scenario that we start in Q2 and are drawn against an two teams i.e. a QR1 winner

COYR!

#58 OFFLINE   Tord31

Tord31

Chief Executive

• Members
  • 15,537 posts
  • Joined 31-December 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:48 AM

There is going to be beatable teams seeded in QR2 so its not a doomsday scenario quite as much as our previous times of being unseeded

COYR!

#59 OFFLINE   Bamber

Bamber

All Time Great

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts
  • Joined 11-December 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

I agree Tord very much so - but with the turn round through the spine of the team I still feel two QR1 rounds would be good for us.

I'm in the Motherwell camp on Saturday

#60 OFFLINE   minijc

minijc

I own the atmosphere

• Members
  • 24,662 posts
  • Joined 31-August 06

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:56 AM

Campbell will be in before Tansey. Derek wants nothing to do with Tansey and said as much during fans Q&A's.

He'll be gone for sure

A sad sad post-teen

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users