Aberdeen 1 - 0 Motherwell

Lets test the water.

Women have no place in football and the SLO is the biggest waste of a wage since the GWT.

First one is just daft.

Second one is fair and your opinion.

Water is warm, come on in.

Just gonna pick you as you're the last person to comment re Stevie May.

What is it you expect of him? We all unanimously agreed that last season our wingers blew hot and cold, thus starving our strikers of service.

This season it's obvious as anything we're lacking a good creative no.10, our midfield is filled with industry rather than creativity.

Stevie May is a clever player, he generally makes excellent runs and his movement is superb. He needs someone close to him to find him, or someone right up there with him, with the ability to link up. The only game where I can say (this season) the football was absolutely excellent was against St.Mirren. Absolutely no surprise that he got on the scoresheet that day as his movement and runs in behind were superb. It suited the way we played that day.

The rest of the time you've got a 5'10 centre forward dealing with long diagonals aimed for his neck. Generally we have an eye bleeding brand of football, it doesn't suit the way May plays.

It's not like he's missing glaring opportunities, he's having to dig things out his feet constantly as the service is absolutely brutal.

How does Anderson come on for 20 minutes, always look dangerous, create real chances and get shots in?

May is pants and totally crocked. I can't remember a single run of the type you're talking about except against St Mirren who were the worst organised team I've seen at Pittodrie since Daugava Riga who threw the game. I can remember countless times he's 5 yards behind where he should be anticipating it to land, where Rooney used to be before he became fat and old.

If we are sticking with 4-2-3-1 I'd go with the following 11:

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Lowe

Ball Ferguson

Mackay-Steven McGinn Shinnie

Anderson

I'm presuming Devlin is available, Ferguson is fit (?), and I think Ball gives us a bit more dig in midfield.  Anderson up front supported by McGinn, with Shinnie on the left to shake things up a bit.  Really got to be looking to win this one.

If we are sticking with 4-2-3-1 I'd go with the following 11:

Lewis

Logan Devlin McKenna Lowe

Ball Ferguson

Mackay-Steven McGinn Shinnie

Anderson

I'm presuming Devlin is available, Ferguson is fit (?), and I think Ball gives us a bit more dig in midfield.  Anderson up front supported by McGinn, with Shinnie on the left to shake things up a bit.  Really got to be looking to win this one.

Dominic Ball - pls no.

What is it you expect of him? We all unanimously agreed that last season our wingers blew hot and cold, thus starving our strikers of service.

This season it's obvious as anything we're lacking a good creative no.10, our midfield is filled with industry rather than creativity.

Stevie May is a clever player, he generally makes excellent runs and his movement is superb. He needs someone close to him to find him, or someone right up there with him, with the ability to link up. The only game where I can say (this season) the football was absolutely excellent was against St.Mirren. Absolutely no surprise that he got on the scoresheet that day as his movement and runs in behind were superb. It suited the way we played that day.

The rest of the time you've got a 5'10 centre forward dealing with long diagonals aimed for his neck. Generally we have an eye bleeding brand of football, it doesn't suit the way May plays.

It's not like he's missing glaring opportunities, he's having to dig things out his feet constantly as the service is absolutely brutal.

This, I agree with.

How does Anderson come on for 20 minutes, always look dangerous, create real chances and get shots in?

May is pants and totally crocked. I can't remember a single run of the type you're talking about except against St Mirren who were the worst organised team I've seen at Pittodrie since Daugava Riga who threw the game. I can remember countless times he's 5 yards behind where he should be anticipating it to land, where Rooney used to be before he became fat and old.

I remember one, can't remember who it was against though.

Made a move off the left of the defender, inside the box, the ball was slipped through to him and he just about put his shot out for a throw it was so wide. 

I agree us pumping high balls into him won;t be helping, but even when the ball is at his feet he usually does nothing with it. He doesn't have the pace he used to and his first touch is only slightly better than Rooney's. 

Anderson should really be getting a run of games up top. May's had more than a season to show us what he can do which he has...very little.

IF that means they won't. So they will all be Mcinnes and company included. Will all be in the LOONY BIN

I’m not sure you are ever out of the loony bin. Do they give you wi fi access for 15 minutes a day so you can post some incoherent pish on here as part of your treatment or something

Anderson has spent most of his time on the pitch in the last 15 mins of games we aren't winning yet, and are going hell for leather. May is starting games and getting absolutely no chances, best example of this was against hibs. He lead the line as well as he could've, but all he was getting were punts down the channel or into his neck. The one time the midfield tried to link with him he layed on a cute ball for Ferguson who was denied a stonewall pen. He then spent the rest of the game on the half way line trying to get ahold of rushed clearances as we attempted 'game management.' I agree he could be doing better, but I don't agree with making a striker who gets no service a scapegoat.

Why not just play May & Anderson together upfront. May has looked sharper this season than last but he has been starved of any real support in behind him. Every time the ball goes up to him there is not a player within 25 yards of him. He is a not a lone striker and neither is Anderson so to get the best out of both play them together until Wilson gets fit (if he's even any good).

• Upvote 2

Don’t have an issue trying that.

Really depends what he sees as his strongest defence. Surely

Logan - Devlin - McKenna - Lowe

Then, does he trust them enough not to fuck about with a pretendy midfielder who’s really a centre half Hoban (inj) Consi and Ball springing to mind.

So if we can trust a back 4 and get a settled 2 in front (2 of Shinnie, Gleason and Ferguson so injury sorts tomorrow) then McGinn and GMS outside them then yes room for Anderson and May up top as long as we don’t simply punt aimless balls above their heads all day. That team is designed to turn them and run onto chances. Not seeing who’s going to play those passes.

Can’t help feel/ fear Deek will react to Motherwells physicality and just stick an extra CH in there, play May up top on his own and shout a lot.

If May starts tomorrow the only game I’ll attend the rest of the season is the Proper Gent day away to Livi. (Cup finals not included in that little protest)

They can also take a flying fuck to getting one bean out of me from the club shop.

Edit. Realistically I won’t make the Livi away game either but I’ll travel down for it.

Good post but please conform to the standard Aberdeen fan binary system of player ratings - select either - 'he's good' or 'he's shit'.

It's almost as if the tactics the manager is selecting is stifling some of our team Last week against St Johnstone the plan seemed to be for GMS to win the game on his own. No support and our one man upfront was so isolated. Not sure what people expect. There's no doubt May has not reached anything like top form whilst here, but there is a player there. 

No, just that in Taylor Reynolds at the back and Hayes Rooney McGinn up front you got the basic format that Derek builds his 4-5-1 around (with Hayes extra energy disguising Mcginns not giving a shittedness).

He is refusing to change his preferred style but has not / cannot recruit the required players to reimplement it.

May is a victim of that to an extent for sure. But then the relatively expensive post injury gamble that he was/is combined with the variety or non crowd pleasing traits (the gaming, the hair the whole grunge thing going on) doesn’t help either. Perfect storm for Stevie and I’d warm him against thinking Derek will eventually mould a team around him. Think Maclean was bought as a deep lying midfielder to ping long passes? Was he fuck.