Will We Ever Have A Better Shot At The League?

Hearts did when they almost Sevco’d themselves

Rubbish. Look at the final league tables of all the years Romanov was in charge. They never got anywhere near winning the league. The closest they got was season 05/06 when they finished 2nd splitting the old firm and won the SC. They finished 17 points behind champions Celtic.

Surely one of the reasons why Lennon is getting the Celtic job is because he is a relatively cheap appointment, which frees up extra money for player recruitment. Given what they’ve already got, if they get that recruitment even half-right then they’ll be streets ahead of everyone else as per, including the Hunnery.

Incidentally I’ve always thought Lennon is a really good coach, it’s his temperament which is suspect, volatile wee fucker that he is.

Rubbish. Look at the final league tables of all the years Romanov was in charge. They never got anywhere near winning the league. The closest they got was season 05/06 when they finished 2nd splitting the old firm and won the SC. They finished 17 points behind champions Celtic.

Can’t remember exactly but they had a good good go one year did they not with Scakel etc? George Burley got sacked for being an Alchie.

I remember walking out of the game at Tynecastle where they secured 2nd and (I think) ended our European hopes with a typically agricultural Hearts performance. Heading back to the Roseburn with "Champion's League na-na-na-na" ringing out behind us and my mate said something like "Aye but at what cost"

What cost indeed.

I remember walking out of the game at Tynecastle where they secured 2nd and (I think) ended our European hopes with a typically agricultural Hearts performance. Heading back to the Roseburn with "Champion's League na-na-na-na" ringing out behind us and my mate said something like "Aye but at what cost"

What cost indeed.

Didn’t even reach Champs League, papped out in qualifier. So not any better than getting papped out of a Europa League qualifier financially.

What cost indeed.

Exactly. Papped out in the CL qualifiers then on the verge of extinction a mere 6 years later.

Still fair play to them they are now debt free again...and achieved without having to pay back the vast majority of the £29m debt they had. They must feel so proud.

Yes, we had one 4/ 5 years ago in January. Celtic were rattled, dons were on form.

It was universally accepted that a decent investment in Aberdeen then and the club would have challenged.

Instead the dons spent nothing, rolled over to Celtic about 3-0 and it was tatties.

It's not in the nature of AFC or folk from the NE to dream big.

Dons just finished fourth, about 20 odd points off top and will lose a lot of first team players.

Absolutely zero hope, despite the points raised

This was the correct answer. 

Lock the fucking thread.  No more needs to be said. 

Yes, we had one 4/ 5 years ago in January. Celtic were rattled, dons were on form.

It was universally accepted that a decent investment in Aberdeen then and the club would have challenged.

Instead the dons spent nothing, rolled over to Celtic about 3-0 and it was tatties.

It's not in the nature of AFC or folk from the NE to dream big.

Dons just finished fourth, about 20 odd points off top and will lose a lot of first team players.

Absolutely zero hope, despite the points raised

Even a couple of decent loans that January may have allowed us to challenge. Opportunity lost, shows Milne has no balls to get us challenging. I don't expect the club to get into debt but there are windows of opportunities that you have to take. Even if it was detrimental to the next seasons budget you have to take these opportunities. We all new the zombie club would be back at some point. Its not likely that they will both struggle in the same season.

• Upvote 1

If Aberdeens ambition, and by that I mean board and manager, is not to win the league in the next five years then whats the point?

Ironically the club won't achieve their somewhat ambiguous objective of being a 'challenger' club without it (that ambition).

I'll get straight to the point. With a bit of investment in the team, and a decent rub of the green, I feel we now have the best chance in years of winning the league.

Killie have lost Clarke; Rangers have pigshit-thick hubcap-pilferer Gerrard; and Celtic have inexplicably appointed an alkie Hibs reject with anger-management issues. Leaving us - by default - with the best manager in the SPFL. I know, I know, but it's true...

Am I alone in thinking we now have a genuine shot at the thing?

With chief sewer dweller at the helm, we pose a threat to no cunt except St Johnstone/Motherwell for 5th. As I’ve being saying for well over a year. Ash Taylor, Curtis Main and probably glaekit imbecile Josh Maggenis should be enough to drive even the most ardent dons fan to glue sniffing.

• Upvote 1

With chief sewer dweller at the helm, we pose a threat to no cunt except St Johnstone/Motherwell for 5th. As I’ve being saying for well over a year. Ash Taylor, Curtis Main and probably glaekit imbecile Josh Maggenis should be enough to drive even the most ardent dons fan to glue sniffing.

Youve been saying we only pose a threat to 5th for well over a year? Well you are talking shit as always then because we just finished 4th so wrong again you big pussy!

It's a sad state of affairs but unless Celtic or Rangers have a wobbly next season the best we can get is 3rd. The Board and management won't push the boat out (and I'm not talking about "getting into debt"). We have a massive rebuild and McInnes' hit/miss signing history doesn't fill me with much hope when you see the number of positions we need to strengthen.

• Upvote 1

The stadium will be used as an excuse for lack of spending for the next few years and in all likelyhood it'll never be built.

As for winning the league....little chance.

Obviously we had a much better chance when the league was weaker with no huns, hibs, hearts, utd but we shat it as Pood said and to some extent celebrated finishing 2nd and getting to a cup final.

Fucking pathetic attitude we've adopted the last 25years and its not changing any time soon with the current chairman and manager.

• Upvote 2

The stadium will be used as an excuse for lack of spending for the next few years and in all likelyhood it'll never be built.

As for winning the league....little chance.

Obviously we had a much better chance when the league was weaker with no huns, hibs, hearts, utd but we shat it as Pood said and to some extent celebrated finishing 2nd and getting to a cup final.

Fucking pathetic attitude we've adopted the last 25years and its not changing any time soon with the current chairman and manager.

+1

For once!

It's a sad state of affairs but unless Celtic or Rangers have a wobbly next season the best we can get is 3rd.

This season we had an atrocious home form after Christmas, no settled team, our signings were generally rubbish, plenty of injuries, and we played pretty poor football. Despite this, sevco weren't that far ahead of us for most of the season, and we put them out of both cups.

We've got plenty of problems of our own, but they are still a basket case club with an inept manager and a habit of overpaying for rank players.