The Mckenna Dilemma

If he moves, he moves. But so long as we get the correct valuation met and under no circumstances should he be sold to either Celtic or Rangers.

Those days should be gone as far as we are concerned.

Can't do anything about freedom of contract, but sell to either of the arse cheeks?

No.

Continue to do that and what's the fucking point.

I think the move to Celtic rumour is bollocks anyway.

Might be a bit controversial here but I think if we get a good deal ie 5 million plus for him then we should take it.

He is a good young prospect however I think Devlin is also great and arguably was playing better before his injury.

The money we could then use to strengthen the squad or potentially offer better contracts to Shinnie and GMS to convince them to stay.

I like McKenna a lot but there comes a time when we need to cash in on our prize asset and I think now is not a bad time.

• Downvote 4

I'm still hoping for £10M 'deal'.

Something like £6M plus Hayes and Morgan would be at least worth calling board meeting to discuss. I struggle to see Celtic parting with even that much though*.

*Anyone that believes Celtic paid £9m for Edouard should wait till their next accounts are out.

If he moves, he moves. But so long as we get the correct valuation met and under no circumstances should he be sold to either Celtic or Rangers.

Those days should be gone as far as we are concerned.

Can't do anything about freedom of contract, but sell to either of the arse cheeks?

No.

Continue to do that and what's the fucking point.

I think the move to Celtic rumour is bollocks anyway.

The tims are desperate. There's every chance they've offered us something ridiculous.

Celtic most definitely can afford him, they have made a big profit for about 4 years in a row.

They could afford our asking price, but won't pay it. Zero chance of them paying us, phit, the £8m it would take to shift him.

They like their pet projects, of which SM would be one, but to maximise their profit, I can't see them offering much more than they did last summer.

I would sincerely hope that if we even considered selling one of our top players to a direct competitor, if would be for more money than it would be should he move to England.

• Upvote 3

I've seen the photo that has started this speculation.

Most likely when the players arrived in to Glasgow Airport a few of them will have decided to do something different with their days off rather than get the bus back to Pittodrie.

If he was signing for anyone he'd have at least his agent with him if not an entourage of folk.

They could afford our asking price, but won't pay it. Zero chance of them paying us, phit, the £8m it would take to shift him.

They like their pet projects, of which SM would be one, but to maximise their profit, I can't see them offering much more than they did last summer.

I would sincerely hope that if we even considered selling one of our top players to a direct competitor, if would be for more money than it would be should he move to England.

Exactly. Look at Virgil Van Dyk... For Celtic to pay £10 million doesn't do them any favours for when they would want to sell him on and then get their 2nd slice of the pie in a sell on clause again (if he was to move)... It doesn't fit their business M.O. We need to sell to a Bournemouth/Newcastle/Huddersfield type club who'll inevitably sell him to a bigger club... A bit like we're hoping will happen to Ryan Fraser...

• Upvote 1

Right

And we won't get 9m for mckenna

So he doesn't fly in the face of their business plan

Ergo, you were havering, again

No way will they have spent £9M on him. Just the media biggings things up to seem like a huge club (I doubt you'll find one single quote from Celtic relating to the value). It'll turn out to be less than that you can guarantee. They simply wouldn't have taken the risk/reward that he can match Dembele. If the figure is slightly less it becomes a bit more believable.

• Upvote 1

I think anybody saying that Celtic can't afford him is kidding themselves.  They are very healthy financially and could easily pay the 7-10M that we're looking for.

McKenna doesn't really fit their general modus operandi of sourcing players around the 3-4M range and selling them at a huge profit, but they've shown they are willing to go above that for the right player.

That being said, I can't see them breaking the bank for an SPFL player.  They'd have done it for John McGinn if they were prepared to.

He's not going to Celtic. If he does I'll delete my account (@EB4B)

Also, he's much better than Devlin, people need to stop with that shite.

Anyway, regardless of how good Devlin is, Mciness (and well nearly all managers) generally opt to play with at least two central defenders.

Its like saying we don't need a left back because Shay Logan is pretty good.