New Car Chat

fine-n-dandy

the head gasket only goes as a result of poor servicing/care

even then, its not as big an issue now as it was

what are you basing that on?

i went back onto the mg forum and turns out a grand is the asking price these days

i had a rover 214 i bought from an auction and it was completely fine

and no, MG and rover are not the same

the guy who designed the mclaren 41 didnt design the rover 75, but he did design the mg zt

really?

in what way?

i dare say they would be, the both of them are a lot more orientated towards the "sporty" edge, whereas the zt is both sport and comfort

it really isd quite bizarre trying to put down the zt's comfort, by judging a completely different car

This car is equipped with the Rover Powertrain V6 engine. The ZR, Rover 25 and the 1.8 Rover 75 (The regular version of the ZT) are equipped with the K4 engine. It's the K-Series engine which has the reputation, actually mostly undeserved, of having a poor head gasket. The V6 doesn't suffer from these problems.

I happen to own a V6 2.5l Rover 75 and am fairly clued up on them.

The build quality of the 75/ZT is as good as any late nineties executive saloon; BMW 3-Series, for example. I also have to laugh at the idea it's a "Low-end" car. The 75/ZT retailed at between £25 - 35,000 and won Car of the Year (99). Nothing cheap about it.

As for that car in the advert, the red interior paint panels mean it was a custom-ordered car, hand-finished under the Monogram scheme. Same goes for the seats. You can throw on another £2000 on the original buy price for that option. The fact the cambelts are done has saved you £600.

If you do decide to go and see it, let me know - there's a few handy hints I can pass along about things to watch out for. Just be aware that it is a far, far thirstier beast than the CDTi or the 1.8 75/ZT. You're realistically looking at about 27mpg, dropping to about 22 - 24mpg in town.

in process of buying another car, to give the capri a wee rest over the winter, which was always the plan anyway...too much salt on the roads!

so, went back to the first car i ever loved...an mg zt

i know folk are gonna go, "mgs...crap"

but unless youve driven one you cant possibly say that

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271120400852&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

HOW much car is that for under a grand!!

mental

had the diesel 135 before, so this jump up to the 190 should be nice!

Make a weekend of it when you go to collect it down in Norfolk. :clangers2:

Terrorfex is ace, no Anal Sex stories, no my dads bigger than your dad bullshit. Just straight up beautiful information.

Your the smartest man I've never met.

Do you know anything about the B&W zeppelin air? Should I buy it or is it an expensive overpriced gimmick?

Well, it's officially licensed by Apple which means its Airplay function actually works. It's consistently rated by reviewers as wide apart as WhatHiFi and Amazon. The only negative seems to be its price tag so I suppose it comes down to Rule of Cool: Do you want to pay nearly £500 for a speaker that looks like a Zeppelin ... Or a watermelon grown under twice earth gravity?

It does look pretty cool though. Definitely pointless if you don't have an iPhone though.

Pretty ironic considering the 75 was launched alongside the Jaguar S-Type at the 1998 Motor Show, where the Jag was pretty lambasted for (literally) being a "Minkers' Jag."

Any supposed "improvement" in an Audi/BMW due to their supposedly superior engineering is going to be mitigated by the fact that said car is going to be a lot older than any prospective 75/ZT, if you're getting it for the same money or a little more.

Not so sure about that...I picked up an A6 Avant (2001) 5 years ago for

i am buying it

im also keen to, at EVERY opportunity, show up the ignorance of the pond-life on here

something i have managed very well in this thread

I disagree.

Terrorfex actually backed up his convictions with some knowledge and a couple of well written posts.

You've basically come on here and said 'MGs ARE GREAT AND YOUSE ARE ALL THICK, SO YE UR'

I think you might be overdoing the steroids again.

• Upvote 4