Fit Do You Do On The Rigs?

Sonic

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably. no formal education of any note required to work offshore. In fact some of the dime bars you get offshore probably can't even read or write.

Thats not the case, In Norway and Denmkark you need to have a trade or an education to get any entry level position.

SUrely you need to spend ages at Falck Nutec don't you?

Not what I'd call formal education, more like 'jumping through hoops' training.

Thats not the case, In Norway and Denmkark you need to have a trade or an education to get any entry level position.

I know nothing of the offshore industry in Norway or Denmark EPK. However, I would imagine it's a much higher standard than in the UK sector.

aye the dreaded tax...dont get me started on that. I pay more tax a year than my cousin earns, absolute nightmare!!

AYe min, unreal like, My dads monthly tax is roughly the same as 1/4 of my yearly wage, soo sh*t, guy who i work with was telling me about his mates tax, he got taxed 7k for a month, f**king crazy sh*t like.

Not what I'd call formal education, more like 'jumping through hoops' training.

I know nothing of the offshore industry in Norway or Denmark EPK. However, I would imagine it's a much higher standard than in the UK sector.

Your nae wrong there Tut, Norway offshore is total different to the UK , Much more saftey minded with conditions benefiting the workers. Plus the unions are the most strongest in the world.

Just today they managed to thrash out a 8% payrise across the board after threatening to hold wide scale strikes starting tonight, Pretty impressive in today climate.

AYe min, unreal like, My dads monthly tax is roughly the same as 1/4 of my yearly wage, soo sh*t, guy who i work with was telling me about his mates tax, he got taxed 7k for a month, f**king crazy sh*t like.

Aye that's fine when he's still probably taking home about 10k p/m!

Your nae wrong there Tut, Norway offshore is total different to the UK , Much more saftey minded with conditions benefiting the workers. Plus the unions are the most strongest in the world.

Just today they managed to thrash out a 8% payrise across the board after threatening to hold wide scale strikes starting tonight, Pretty impressive in today climate.

8% ya beauty our employee association site not updated yet cheers for the good news EPK

aye nae bad. most of us are just happy to have a job these days, never mind pay rises.

So, if I were to head to an Interview right now and rattled all of that off I'll get a job? tidy am away to give a few people a phone.

If your auld boy can get you in the door being a crane op go for it. One of the best jobs on the rig. Roughnecking is a dirty job with little thanks.

I've been offshore once before, on the forties. the rigs i was on were shitpiles. No cinema, only 7 channels, cack grub and the whole bloody rigs looked like they were ready to fall into the sea.

Goin to the magnus in august, i hope its better than the forties!

I've been offshore once before, on the forties. the rigs i was on were shitpiles. No cinema, only 7 channels, cack grub and the whole bloody rigs looked like they were ready to fall into the sea.

Forties are just about the oldest rigs out there, could be wrong but i have a sneaky feeling the magnus aint much better

The Forties are very very old rigs hence bein shitpiles. The magnus as far as I know is an old rig too, never spoke to anyone thats been on it tho!

offshore is getting far too soft these days - cinema, sauna, music rooms. You're there to work.

All platforms mentioned so far are NOT rigs. they are fixed installations. Also known as whore houses. i.e full of pussies who can't handle workign hard for 12 hours like on a mobile.

Guest LondonScottish
offshore is getting far too soft these days - cinema, sauna, music rooms. You're there to work.

All platforms mentioned so far are NOT rigs. they are fixed installations. Also known as whore houses. i.e full of pussies who can't handle workign hard for 12 hours like on a mobile.

Most people given the choice most people would prefer some comforts offshore for two weeks, would they not? Do you get paid considerably more for working on a rig as opposed to a fixed installation?

yeh the night before u go is horrendous. But I put my head down and graft for 2 weeks then I know I have 3 weeks off which is luxury. The day you go home is the best feeling in the world!

I don't agree, I feel like an alien when I first get home because everyone has been getting on with their lives with you not there and all of a sudden you are back and things just seem different, back to normal after a day or two.

The platform I am on is alright, got most things although no xbox which is pissing me off to the point that I am considering buying myself one to leave in the cabin. Even though it's ok it's still balls being away from home, when you think about what you miss when you are away you realise that you earn every penny you make out here and I don't even have kids yet.

tainboy is obviously some drilling muppet who thinks he's some sort of offshore hero, drilling for oil like he is Bruce Willis in Armageddon. Either that or he has no clue because no matter where you work it's tough leaving everything behind when you go unless your life at home is that sh1t you don't care.

Most of us on the platforms like to think of ourselves as a civilised bunch and enjoy our home luxuries because without them you might as well be in Craigies, at least in prison you don't have to go to work for 12 hours a day.

Do you know Asbo?

probably. no formal education of any note required to work offshore. In fact some of the dime bars you get offshore probably can't even read or write.

At is true maybe for drillers but production is a much more civilised affair. You need a trade for most jobs with us.

I've been offshore a few times to an FPSO, it was great and I'd have taken a permenant job there if I had the chance. Had everything already mentioned except the pool tables. Great place to work.

Was it the triton? I'm on there as a mechie and it's sh!t. Nothing to do at night except watch sh*t tv with no good channels or play darts which I am sh*t at. Internet is as slow as dial up and the phones crash for a good few hours each trip. Normally when I want to phone somebody. Catering budget is tiny so the food is not of a great standard. Nothing to do with the chefs jist if they are given sh*t to work with then they can't produce good food. 2 on 3 off is good and that's aboot it. 3 weeks off is alright but any longer and you get bored and it's a pain in the arse if every body else is working and you are jist sitting on your own bored during the day.

See we all think drillers are idiots. Bust your arse for a whole trip get covered in sh*t and then get paid off as soon as the oil price dips. I'll stick to my whore hoose. Drillers. All idiots who think if they don't have fingers missing then they are sh*t at their job.

LS you do get paid more for being in drilling but not much more and your job is far less ecure due to it being really tied to the price of oil. Production is a much safer bet for job security.