Aberdeen V Sevco (Post-Match Reaction)

16 hours ago, V for Vendetta said:

I know what you mean, I think we often play our first competitive games a bit short of sharpness in an (flawed?) attempt to save the players for later in the season.

Think back to how we've looked in our early euro games the last few years. We've often toiled against weak opposition in the first round.

So you think we sacrifice any chance of having a good run in Europe,  to improve our chances of qualifying for Europe at the end of the season?  Aye,  that makes sense. 

2 minutes ago, V for Vendetta said:

I didn't say that did I?

If you pay attention you might notice we get through the first round every year.

Good performances /results breed confidence going into the next round,  seems ridiculous to suggest we're deliberately off the pace to save our legs for later in the season. If you think this is some cunning ploy by McInnes you give him too much credit. 

7 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

Good performances /results breed confidence going into the next round,  seems ridiculous to suggest we're deliberately off the pace to save our legs for later in the season. If you think this is some cunning ploy by McInnes you give him too much credit. 

Deliberately off pace? You're just putting words into my mouth so you can disagree with them now.

I think we pretty clear start our euro games after a pretty light pre season and treat the first 2 euro games as a chance to build fitness.

To an extent it works so fair enough.

But ideal to meet rangers in that's shape during 10iar year too.

1 hour ago, V for Vendetta said:

Deliberately off pace? You're just putting words into my mouth so you can disagree with them now.

'I think we often play our first competitive games a bit short of sharpness in a flawed attempt to save ourselves for later in the season'.

That's what you said, how am I putting words in your mouth? 

21 hours ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

However anyone wants to dress it up with regards to how many games we've played or should have played in pre season, we were woefully underprepared for the task at hand. 

Huns never got out of 2nd gear. We never made the keeper make a meaningful save, our ball retention was embarrassingly shite. We know they like to have the ball, and the way around that is to implement a high press, but as others have said, many players looked knackered after around half an hour. 

But then again, your manager is in the press saying how good the opposition are and how wonderful the opposing manager is, and you don't have fans in the stadium, what do you expect? 

Saturday was the result of the team having only the management staff and eachother to motivate them. 

As negative as our fans are, it made a big difference not having them there IMO. Sevco players looked at ease and there were very few mistakes. A full stadium of fans screaming abuse at them would have made a difference, likewise for our own players who seemed to lack urgency and leadership. Badly missed a Shinnie or Robson type to drag the team through it.

1 hour ago, maryhilldon said:

'I think we often play our first competitive games a bit short of sharpness in a flawed attempt to save ourselves for later in the season'.

That's what you said, how am I putting words in your mouth? 

Deliberately off pace but I suppose it's just interpretation.

I'm not saying we're far off pace, just that we use the first 2 euro games as the final chance to get match fit.

35 minutes ago, Big Hat Logan said:

As negative as our fans are, it made a big difference not having them there IMO. Sevco players looked at ease and there were very few mistakes. A full stadium of fans screaming abuse at them would have made a difference, likewise for our own players who seemed to lack urgency and leadership. Badly missed a Shinnie or Robson type to drag the team through it.

I don't know how much difference any in field leadership would've made. 

The players were doing more or less what was asked of them I think. Can't say Derek seemed too disappointed in his interview after. 

A white flag was waived before we took to the pitch, he then had the brass neck to tell us we were 'in the game' and somewhat unlucky. 

9 minutes ago, ConsiCanBoogie1903 said:

A white flag was waived before we took to the pitch, he then had the brass neck to tell us we were 'in the game' and somewhat unlucky. 

We were only  'in the game'  in-so-much-as it was only 0-1.  We never looked like taking anything from that game.  Quite embarrassing some of Mcinnes'  post match analysis in recent seasons. 

12 minutes ago, maryhilldon said:

We were only  'in the game'  in-so-much-as it was only 0-1.  We never looked like taking anything from that game.  Quite embarrassing some of Mcinnes'  post match analysis in recent seasons. 

His post match interview was yet another lesson in delusion.

He says the same shite that often, he actually believes it... as McDiarmid nods approvingly. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

His post match interview was yet another lesson in delusion.

He says the same shite that often, he actually believes it... as McDiarmid nods approvingly. 

What's the point in fans being a part of the media team for the club if they aren't going to ask difficult questions? 

Nobody can stand listening to them, they don't do anything but stroke the managers ego, what is the point? 

Get some fresh and modern fan representation on there, not old, sycophantic arse lickers who have no intention of asking meaningful questions. 

Because we have Celtic coming up a week on Saturday. A realist would admit we are getting nothing out of that. It really isn't a good idea to let the teams likely to be in the mix for 3rd place to open up a gap on us so early on and have us playing catch up. So yes, it absolutely is a must win game.

24 minutes ago, Millertime said:

I agree, but I don't see how it's must win

Do you think we will complete a 38 game season this year? I've my doubts personally.

It makes a good start crucial if we are to have a decent season. If we lose on Saturday we will have 3 defeats out of first 4 games come a week on Saturday, that's on the basis of us avoiding losing to Hamilton.

I'd be pretty surprised if we don't win on Saturday.

15 minutes ago, RUL said:

Do you think we will complete a 38 game season this year? I've my doubts personally.

It makes a good start crucial if we are to have a decent season. If we lose on Saturday we will have 3 defeats out of first 4 games come a week on Saturday, that's on the basis of us avoiding losing to Hamilton.

I'd be pretty surprised if we don't win on Saturday.

The prospect of a reduced season again is definitely a problem

A good start would be preferable right enough.

Still not "must win" territory imo

10 minutes ago, V for Vendetta said:

It's not but fans are frustrated and just want to see a few convincing wins.

The problem is we’ve been pish in the main, for two seasons now.

Saturday in isolation was bad enough, but supporters are adding it to the malaise that was already there because of the last couple of years drudgery. 
There’s a feeling that we’re going to see more of the same & we’re only one game in.