Aberdeen V Sevco (Post-Match Reaction)

Ojo cannot be defended unfortunately, think if he gets his confidence back he could be useful!, all our players were dog shit and lacked match fitness as we all suspected, giving how many games the hun had, we looked completely disjointed and bereft of ideas,McInnes bottled it once more

7 hours ago, Sooper-hanz said:

Didn't think Sevco were any great shakes to be honest. Cant recall Joe being too busy.  It occurred to me yesterday on the 'one on one' with Kent ,I fully expected Joe to save it ,which underlines how great he's been for us. 

They didn't have to be any great shakes. We offered fuck all and I think the huns did the bare minimum to come out with the 3 points.

6 hours ago, Lencarl said:

Leon Balogun was unhappy with a challenge from Aberdeen defender Scott McKenna at Pittodrie that left the The Rangers debutant requiring medical attention on a head knock after colliding with a post.

Now self-inflicted injuries are the fault of opposition sides.

Watched it back and got to give some credit to McKenna - definitely has a hand in smashing him into the post. Cracking sound it makes as well.

Mr angry on the other hand - didn’t get touched. One of these days he’s gonna burst a blood vessel in his brain...

2 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Ojo cannot be defended unfortunately, think if he gets his confidence back he could be useful!, all our players were dog shit and lacked match fitness as we all suspected, giving how many games the hun had, we looked completely disjointed and bereft of ideas,McInnes bottled it once more

Apparently though, according to one or two posters, mentioning pre-match that a lack of games & that being a concern was “pant pishing & panicking”, when to the sensible it was pretty obvious & predictable. 
After 5 minutes it was pretty clear. 

1 hour ago, WesthillWanderersFC said:

Apparently though, according to one or two posters, mentioning pre-match that a lack of games & that being a concern was “pant pishing & panicking”, when to the sensible it was pretty obvious & predictable. 
After 5 minutes it was pretty clear. 

I was certainly saying plenty that they had a very professional pre season and played almost the same team a number of times

It’s criminal McInnes gets away with this!,

albeit he didn’t know when we were getting back to action and stipulations on what you can do during furlough he should have had his team assembled and ready, he should as the manager have had organised friendlies domestically knowing travel restrictions!

the players take a lot of blame for this of course and should have been on a mindset of at least they should get fit and put through there paces in gyms building themselves up for a push on the start of the season and try to gain an advantage in the Europa league qualifiers!, they looked like they’ve all been playing the PS4 for the last 3 months!

Garbage mentality from top to bottom

even Hamilton gave it a go tonight (with absolute no luck right enough)but at least they tried

2 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

albeit he didn’t know when we were getting back to action and stipulations on what you can do during furlough he should have had his team assembled and ready, he should as the manager have had organised friendlies domestically knowing travel restrictions!

the players take a lot of blame for this of course and should have been on a mindset of at least they should get fit and put through there paces in gyms building themselves up for a push on the start of the season and try to gain an advantage in the Europa league qualifiers!, they looked like they’ve all been playing the PS4 for the last 3 months!

even Hamilton gave it a go tonight (with absolute no luck right enough)but at least they tried

Yeah, much better to get pumped 5-1 than lose 1-0.

Woeful performance. A real downer to the opener of the new season. 

I thought Anderson was very poor however like others have said I would agree that the formation was not suited to him and his style of play. He'd suit a team like Hibs that don't simple lump the ball forward. Edmondson did well in his short spell. I won't be surprised if he surpasses Cosgrove this season. He just seems to have more about him.

Ojo, Bryson and Ferguson were especially poor. Ojo's passing was abysmal. Constantly gave the ball away and was not marking up properly. He looked completely out of his depths. Ferguson and Bryson were competing with one another for who could best impersonate Gary the ghost McDonald.

I thought Taylor and Hernandez played well. Hernandez looks like he could become a little star for us. He won't be here long. Considine kept giving the ball away and his passing was terrible. Stupid challenge to get sent off too. McKenna was ok but his distribution of the ball is poor. Hayes and Kennedy were rubbish as well.

Very disappointing performance and has me worried about playing St Johnstone who have also been a difficult side to play. Like others have said players looked unfit and out of sorts. 

48 minutes ago, Dons79 said:

Mcinnes normally greets about not getting enough of a pre-season due to Europe but this season he gets a good 6 weeks an it makes no difference. The guy will get away with it as we cant sack him due to finances so we will have to put up with this shite until next summer at least. Cormack will have lost all credibility with his new philosophy shite which Yesterday was confirmed as rubbish just to try and sell more season tickets. Anyone thinking about getting a season ticket will have been completely put off by Yesterdays shit show. The feel good factor and the coming together muted during lockdown will have taken a big hit due to Mcinnes and his horrible football

He was allowed 5 subs.  He could have changed his entire midfield a bit earlier when he saw they were struggling. 

McGeouch for Ojo 

Campbell for Ferguson 

McGinn for Bryson. 

Still would have had 2 subs left to cover wing and up front as well as having an extra attack minded player on the pitch. 

Too happy to bash away at 1-0 down all the time thinking we're still in the game.  When we're actually not, we're just letting time drift away. 

2 hours ago, Dons79 said:

Did we put players on furlough? I don't think we did.

1 hour ago, aberdeen1970 said:

He was allowed 5 subs.  He could have changed his entire midfield a bit earlier when he saw they were struggling. 

McGeouch for Ojo 

Campbell for Ferguson 

McGinn for Bryson. 

Still would have had 2 subs left to cover wing and up front as well as having an extra attack minded player on the pitch. 

Too happy to bash away at 1-0 down all the time thinking we're still in the game.  When we're actually not, we're just letting time drift away. 

I'd make the changes you've suggested with the addition of starting Edmondson ahead of Anderson.

Campbell is a real talent. Deserves to start weekly. IMO he's better than Ferguson and is too often overlooked. He came on yesterday and proved in 5 minutes that his first touch, passing and vision were a level above the majority/if not all in red tops. Made a difference when he came on. He's going to develop into one hell of a player. Like Hernandez Campbell will move on to bigger and better things in the future.

Once Hoban is fully up and running I'd like to see him included in the starting lineup. 

4 hours ago, CalgaryDon said:

I'd make the changes you've suggested with the addition of starting Edmondson ahead of Anderson.

Campbell is a real talent. Deserves to start weekly. IMO he's better than Ferguson and is too often overlooked. He came on yesterday and proved in 5 minutes that his first touch, passing and vision were a level above the majority/if not all in red tops. Made a difference when he came on. He's going to develop into one hell of a player. Like Hernandez Campbell will move on to bigger and better things in the future.

Once Hoban is fully up and running I'd like to see him included in the starting lineup. 

Agree on Campbell. A footballer, no doubt.

1 hour ago, alscotoz said:

Agree on Campbell. A footballer, no doubt.

Campbell has to come in for the next game.  At the very least will bring some youthful energy.

Ojo was beyond woeful, Bryson was anonymous and Ferguson doesn't look fully fit.  None of them could have any complaints if they were bombed next week. Midfield was absolutely pathetic - which is inexcusable as it's the one area of the pitch where we have options.

A slight note of caution in that the hun midfield will do that to you.  They crowd that narrow area specifically to negate any threat you may have.  Fuck me the Celtic midfield that routinely dominates us got suckered into the same thing twice last year (with Edouard and Forster bailing them out in the cup).

i don’t disagree with any of the suggested changes And like others would love it (absolutely love it) for it to work for Campbell.

next week will tell us much more.

16 hours ago, super_al said:

The first problem we all saw was how unfit  certain players were. I have some sympathy that a regular pre-season could not have taken place due to COVID restrictions but its the same for all teams and we were miles behind the fitness levels of Rangers. 

I am surprised folk have not mentioned how bad Ferguson and Hayes were. Ferguson was invisible in the first half and I honestly cannot recall ever saying that about him. I counted at least five times when Hayes either passed the ball to a Rangers player or worse took a fresh air swipe at the ball. I also did not think Bryson looked any good (he reminded me of Gary casper the ghost Macdonald).

Positives were the substitutes all made a difference and looked sharp when they came on.

In terms of the covid impact on preparation I don't think it is the same for all teams.

The bigger sides like Celtic and the Huns were clearly able to play games against high profile opposition. While the rest of us struggled to find opposition to prepare.

37 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

A slight note of caution in that the hun midfield will do that to you.  They crowd that narrow area specifically to negate any threat you may have.  Fuck me the Celtic midfield that routinely dominates us got suckered into the same thing twice last year (with Edouard and Forster bailing them out in the cup).

i don’t disagree with any of the suggested changes And like others would love it (absolutely love it) for it to work for Campbell.

next week will tell us much more.

Aye theres nae twa doots aboot that, next week is pivotal. Lose that as well and his DMc’s ass should be twitching

Hoban, Deano, Dylan, McGinn and Edmondson must all start, at the expense of Considine, Ojo, Bryson, Kennedy and Anderson

I’d leave the centre halves till Hoban gets a couple of bounce games in.  Hayes will replace Considine you’d think, I don’t think it’s worth risking Hoban (fitness wise) in there yet. Bryson deserves a chance but on one showing just appeared to run about a lot.  Ojo .... it’s all been said.  I’d like to see McGinn (never thought I’d say that) only to give us some options on the right Including bringing Hernandez further forward and we’ve now a game spare Where we can play Hayes and Kennedy On the left sorting that problem.  Leeds boy (have to learn his name) in for Anderson and the players to gang up and give Taylor 20 bumps every time he shells it long.

13 minutes ago, strachanmcgheegoal said:

Ignoring our disastrous history with back 5s I’d agree that looks capable.  Hate to see Hoban rushed back unnecessarily though like Bryson in last years UEFA.

Yeah history with that formation puts me off a bit but I do think we have the players now and at home I'd like us to have 2 up top.

We were very poor and offered nothing throughout the game.  We made them look good.

Taylor (prob both CBs) at fault for the goal, but he rallied well and went on to make 3 excellent blocks, at least one of which prevented a goal.

That a player making 3 blocks probably represents our "MVP" for the game says it all.

I thought Considines straight red card was harsh (or had he been booked already?).

Our performance was summed up by the sight of sub Ryan Hedges entering the field wearing a hairband.