Australian Rules Football

Any other fans of the game?

Looking forward to the new season which begins on Thursday night! A cracking sport I reckon, the players are tremendous athletes which I have a tremendous degree of respect for. AFL players are perhaps the fittest sportsmen on the planet.

Unfortunately it should be precession for Collingwood this season, there aren't really many other sides which can really compete with them at the moment. St Kilda will be there or thereabouts, but the Geelong cats look like they'll be weakened and I don't see much from the Western Bulldogs to suggest that they can challenge. Perhaps we're looking for a few surprise teams to step up this season....

Hopefully I'll get a long to a few more games this season.... already booked up for West Coast versus Melbourne!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to the new season which begins on Thursday night! A cracking sport I reckon, the players are tremendous athletes which I have a tremendous degree of respect for. AFL players are perhaps the fittest sportsmen on the planet.

Unfortunately it should be precession for Collingwood this season, there aren't really many other sides which can really compete with them at the moment. St Kilda will be there or thereabouts, but the Geelong cats look like they'll be weakened and I don't see much from the Western Bulldogs to suggest that they can challenge. Perhaps we're looking for a few surprise teams to step up this season....

Hopefully I'll get a long to a few more games this season.... already booked up for West Coast versus Melbourne!

Its on ESPN here. I will be watching the games that are on tv. Rough as f**k some of the stuff I've seen so far.

Its on ESPN here. I will be watching the games that are on tv. Rough as f**k some of the stuff I've seen so far.

Is this a variation on egg chasing, except with dodgy looking Aussies in wife beater vests?

I've never seen this sport in action, the point of it is lost on me.

I'm now a Fremantle fan, the eagles are sh*te :checkit:

Fanny!

West Coast Eagles were in the final the year I was in Australia! It was fantastic like, they get well into it. The stadiums are bloody huge also.

It's a completely different carry on for their 'soccer'. Perth Glorys stadium is absolutely horrific.....but them cheerleaders WOW!!!!!! Not a single one of them were ugly!

the eagles finished rock bottom last year I think, so I was told at the pre season match I went to.

Yeah I made it to a few games last year - It's a fantastic day out! I'm hoping to get over to Melbourne this year, to catch a game at the MCG - I'm told it's a religious experience over there!

I go for the Dockers out here, so as long as they finish above West Coast I'll be happy! West Coast were rock bottom last year, but they should be a bit better this season. The new team from the Gold Coast are favourites to finish bottom, but they've signed quite a few decent players, most notably Gary Ablett, who's widely considered to be the best player in the league, so I reckon they'll be alright. I put a few quid on Brisbane to finish rock-bottom the other day!

For anyone that's interested a few Aussie Dons from Ab-mad have a tipping competition, I can post up the details if anyone else is getting involved for the new season!

Is this a variation on egg chasing, except with dodgy looking Aussies in wife beater vests?

I've never seen this sport in action, the point of it is lost on me.

Nah, no fatties rolling about in the mud here! There is a real rivalry between the sports in Australia. In Queensland and NSW Rugby League is absolutely massive and most of the natives have no time for AFL, however it is getting more popular - The Gold Coast has a new team this season and Sydney are getting a second team next year (which I think is a complete joke - should have gone to Tasmania IMO). In Victoria, South Australia and Western Australia AFL is absolutely huge - particularly in victoria.

It can be pretty brutal at times, there are no pads and it's pretty much anything goes... bar neck high tackles! There are no sin bins or red cards, etc! For anything completely over the top, players are retrospectively punished. In terms of injuries, the players are much as bulky as Rugby players due to the extreme fitness levels required to play the game, so when they hit each other there's less chance of broken bones etc, etc...

Yeah I made it to a few games last year - It's a fantastic day out! I'm hoping to get over to Melbourne this year, to catch a game at the MCG - I'm told it's a religious experience over there!

I go for the Dockers out here, so as long as they finish above West Coast I'll be happy! West Coast were rock bottom last year, but they should be a bit better this season. The new team from the Gold Coast are favourites to finish bottom, but they've signed quite a few decent players, most notably Gary Ablett, who's widely considered to be the best player in the league, so I reckon they'll be alright. I put a few quid on Brisbane to finish rock-bottom the other day!

For anyone that's interested a few Aussie Dons from Ab-mad have a tipping competition, I can post up the details if anyone else is getting involved for the new season!

Post up the details of the tipping comp sonof! You put in a supercoach team? I'm on the Herald Sun one so maybe it's just a Victorian thing.

It's f**king magic. I came over just after the replayed Grand Final last year so just missed most of the fun and just rolling round to it now, but I've been getting caught up in the pre-season and all the coverage it gets in the press. I'm barracking for Essendon (the Dons, play with a bit of red - ignore the sash) and already got tickets for the big ANZAC day versus Collingwood. 100,000+ at the MCG, I really can't wait.

In all honesty I wasn't expecting to get involved in it to the extent that I have, before coming I thought it was a dumb sport. But I'm hooked, as a lot of people who come over end up being. It's absolutely huge in Melbourne, and I'm living a stone's throw from the MCG so I'd imagine I'll take in a few games.

It's so much better then Rugby (League or Union) and I can't believe how NSW and QLand get behind that so much, and in turn how much they hate AFL for it's dominance elsewhere. Fannies.

The tabloid drama that surrounds it is amazing as well. This St. Kilda girl thing and everyone she has dragged into it is hilarious, not to mention Brendan Fevola going from one disaster to the next. Puts the media circus that follows Premiership footballers to shame, it really does. :laughing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t1O2uhrqUc

Proper f**king personalities doing proper funny sh*te in front of the media :thumbup1:

Woohoo, you live in Melbourne, so I guess you can't avoid it. How did you get tickets for the ANZAC match - my flatmate tried to tickets a few weeks ago, but had absolutely no luck! Should be a fantastic atmosphere though!

I'm the same, i just can't fathom why Rugby league is so popular in QL and NSW. Outside of those two states, the game is only really played in Lancashire and Yorkshire, England. There really are no other sports which compete with Aussie Rules and Rugby League in Australia.

Most people over here do the "dream team" thing... I haven't bothered though - I might do next season. For the ab mad tipping thing see here!

Agree on the media circus... it's a pantomime! however, it seems to be accepted as part of the game. The footy show is hilarious, but I'm surprised that players are allowed to appear on that show by their clubs. Did you see Cameron Ling on it the other week? Sam Newman was giving him an absolutely roasting, accusing him of lying about the relationship Gary Ablett and Mark Thompson. He was ripping the pish. It was akin to John Terry appearing as a guest on "Fantasy Football League" and being taken apart by Badiel and Skinner.

Completely bizarre.

Great game, fit and hard as hell guys playing it. Go o every home match with the crows. Think this season will be Collingwood all the way, but you never can tell with a lot of new young players coming into teams.

As for Fevola, he's a complete tube.

One of the funniest guys on tv has to be Sam Neuman.

Agree about Sam Newman - brilliant!

I hear Fevola got chucked out of another pokey place yesterday! :laughing:

Should be a ripper tonight - Geelong vs St. Kilda! I'm going to miss it though! :ThumbsDown:

Woohoo, you live in Melbourne, so I guess you can't avoid it. How did you get tickets for the ANZAC match - my flatmate tried to tickets a few weeks ago, but had absolutely no luck! Should be a fantastic atmosphere though!

I'm the same, i just can't fathom why Rugby league is so popular in QL and NSW. Outside of those two states, the game is only really played in Lancashire and Yorkshire, England. There really are no other sports which compete with Aussie Rules and Rugby League in Australia.

Most people over here do the "dream team" thing... I haven't bothered though - I might do next season. For the ab mad tipping thing see here!

Agree on the media circus... it's a pantomime! however, it seems to be accepted as part of the game. The footy show is hilarious, but I'm surprised that players are allowed to appear on that show by their clubs. Did you see Cameron Ling on it the other week? Sam Newman was giving him an absolutely roasting, accusing him of lying about the relationship Gary Ablett and Mark Thompson. He was ripping the pish. It was akin to John Terry appearing as a guest on "Fantasy Football League" and being taken apart by Badiel and Skinner.

Completely bizarre.

My cousin is a Bombers member so he was able to grab a few ANZAC tickets. :applause:

The Footy Show is absolutely essential viewing. Gets you clued up on the sport pretty quickly and the panel are brilliant. I'm also surprised that the club let the players on it, but I'm glad they do! It's a breath of fresh air and as you say, would never happen back with football players. When was the last time an A-List Premiership football was awkward question on air? All these Football Focus interviews, the questions are well screened and the answered rehearsed, no doubt with the aid of a media consultant. Here, their footy stars are thrown into the lions den any thing is fair go.

Agree about Sam Newman - brilliant!

I hear Fevola got chucked out of another pokey place yesterday! :laughing:

Should be a ripper tonight - Geelong vs St. Kilda! I'm going to miss it though! :ThumbsDown:

I'm working, but I'll be Sky Plussing (FoxTel Plussing?) the Cats game. Thought the Carlton v Richmond last night was quality. I've got a soft spot for Richmond given I'm living here and loving the area since I moved and they did alright but Carlton looked good.

I'm working, but I'll be Sky Plussing (FoxTel Plussing?) the Cats game. Thought the Carlton v Richmond last night was quality. I've got a soft spot for Richmond given I'm living here and loving the area since I moved and they did alright but Carlton looked good.

I don't bother recording games - I always end up hearing the score from someone... also we all game (except Freo and WCE) shown on 3-hour delay in Perth anyway - so it's really difficult to avoid the scores as it is! It's so annoying!

Was a decent match last night - thought Richmond were going to do it for a while! That Riewoldt is cracking player. Looks as good as his brother!

I went once, got hooked and went every game after that. St Kilda were my team with Plugger Lockett doing the biz. Saw the last ever game at Moorabin.

You can't appreciate it on the telly. It's an amazing game. Player's skills and fitness levels are really something.

Collingwood are the huns of the AFL.

Gordon Strachan was over over in Australia a few years ago, observing some of the training method used in AFL. Apparently he was amazed by athleticism and fitness of the players.

Is it glory hunting to start following the Geelong Cats? I'm going along with supporting the first team I watched in a game.

Geelong have been the team of the last four seasons.... making the grand final in three of the last four seasons. However, they are expected to go into decline over the next couple of years as their team is ageing, their successful coach left and the end of last season and they've lost a couple of key players - most notably Gary Ablett.

AFL is a bit like NFL, in that free agency and the draft mean that success is cyclic. The Cats have a good chance to be top 4 this season, but I don't expect anything more. However they had a very good result last night.

I was taken by cousins to the MCG when I was in Melbourne to watch the Hawks vs Collingwood (I think). It was in 2003, so I'm a bit hazy about it. Anyway, it was amazing. I'd always laughed at the "butcher" touch judges on telly whenever anyone scored, with that wooden-armed double emphasis of the score, but serious respect to the fitness required. Not only is the pitch MASSIVE, they play 4 quarters of 30 mins with almost no break in between, i.e., 2 hours' solid running.

I can't remember who won, but it was a great family evening out and I'd definitely encourage anyone to attend a match as an entertaining way of passing the time.

:thumbup1:

Well if week one is anything to go by, we're in for a great season.

Think it's taken for granted that it will be Collingwood's year again, but christ there were some great games (apart from the crap on Friday night with Geelong and St. Kilda- very poor game i thought).

Essendon were immense, and i think Hirdy will have them up for the whole season. Crows were brilliant, as were both WA teams.

Roll on next week and we get a first propoer look at the Suns with Gazza and the likes.

Well if week one is anything to go by, we're in for a great season.

Think it's taken for granted that it will be Collingwood's year again, but christ there were some great games (apart from the crap on Friday night with Geelong and St. Kilda- very poor game i thought).

Essendon were immense, and i think Hirdy will have them up for the whole season. Crows were brilliant, as were both WA teams.

Roll on next week and we get a first propoer look at the Suns with Gazza and the likes.

Just been speaking about that at work - Round 1 was an absolute cracker! The Freo game was just brilliant - I was out of my seat for the last 4 minutes!! Brisbane are going to really struggle, particularly with Browny now out for 2 months.

It was good to see the WA teams doing well, but ultimately I think both will miss out on the finals this years. I hope I'm wrong... next week is a good test for Freo - They actually won at home versus Geelong last season!

Most impressive, apart from the bombers, were the South Australian teams. Also, even though Port took a pounding I think they showed enough to suggest they could be a finals team this year - bear in mind that Collingwood are going to hammer everyone this season.

Essendon for me - can never overlook "the Dons" !!! Altho do have to ignore the sash.

Some games can be dull but others are quailty, do seem to be able to miss the first 3/4's tho and just watch the last one. Defo helps to be at the match and I found if sitting up higher its better as can see the movement and positions of the players more, on TV sometiems does look like a load of guys just chasing round the ball.

I love the throw-ins where the ref's just lob the ball over their heads

St Kilda v Richmond live on ESPN tomorrow (Friday) morning at 9:30am. I'll be up to watch it :thumbup1:

Doubt it'll be a great game.... should be a walkover for St Kilda. Look out for Jack Riewoldt of Richmond though, he's a cracking players - nearly as good as his cousin, Nick who plays for St Kilda!

Footy show was very good again! Classic seeing Shane Crawford booting Sam Newman in the balls! Would love to see Mark Lawrenson doing similar to Gary Linekar!

Also, how bad does Jonathan Brown look? Multiple fractured face during the Fremantle match - he's had to have his face reconstructed, but reckons he'll be back playing in 8 weeks! What a mess - You'd hardly recognise him! But to fair he seemed in good spirits!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx2cIN5-Xic

Hope so. Go Saintees! I just found out they got beat by one lousy point at Geelong in Rd 1. Utter b*stards. I bin to the Cats ground. Shithole.

Who the hell are the Gold Coast Suns? There was only Brissie, Adelaide (Tony Modra), the Swans and the West Coast Eagles 20 years ago? Now there's 3 West Coast teams and two from Adelaide and never heard of these Gold Coast turkeys.

Have Footscray gone to the dogs?

Gold Coast sons are they new 17th team in the league this year, similar to when Brisbane Lions (not the bears as before) started up. They have managed to get a huge slice of all the best players in the league due to have less salary cap restrictions.

2 West Coast teams still, Fremantle and the Eagles.

And footscray going to the dogs? Fishing right? haha